walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Gable - Kirk Fell

Great Gable - Kirk Fell

Postby Phooooey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Gable, Kirk Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Gable, Kirk Fell

Date walked: 07/03/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 1112m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wasdale Head - Great Gable - Kirk Fell

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As I couldn't see the top of Great Gable for mist and cloud before I set off I should have realised today was going to be a bit difficult. From Wasdale Head, Damson (the dog) and I headed up the valley following Wainwrights guide and up what he refers to as the direct route turning left and up at the footbridge to Ill Ghyll.
CIMG3257.JPG
Wast Water and Wasdale from lower flanks of Great Gable
CIMG3258.JPG
Great Gable
Got some great photos of Wasdale and Wast Water on ascent but ran into the cloud as we approached the pass between Great Gable and Kirk Fell.
CIMG3259.JPG
Wasdale & Wast Water
CIMG3261.JPG
Cloud at pass between Great Gable and Kirk Fell
CIMG3262.JPG
Visibility diminished on push up Great Gable - View back to Kirk Fell
It was very shortly after turning right here and heading up last section of Great Gable along the ridge and worrying about Damson throwing herself over the side that the camera packed in. Maybe it was just as well I couldn't see more that 5 yards in front of me and there were no photo opportunities. At top of Great Gable, I decided to come straight back down as wandering around up there may have become tricky and descended the way I came up back to the pass.
As I had dropped below the cloud again at this point, I made the worst decision of the day and crossed pass and up Kirk Fell. The climb to the top was fairly easy but the mist on top became a problem as I couldn't find the cairns marking the top for quite a while. After wandering around a while up there, the path back was very unclear and map and compass weren't helping much to find tight route down. I could however hear Ill Ghyll in front of me and descended down the scree bank on Kirk Fells front face heading for the sound of the water. Letting Damson of the lead to do her own scree surfing, we descended pretty quickly and ended up quite a way west of where we should have been but found our way across to the ghyll and followed that back down the fell side to Wasdale. To add insult to injury, it chucked it down as we got back into the valley so instead of heading to the car, we veered right and grabbed a welcome pint at the pub and a towel down.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland