walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel-y-Gest, Porthmadog, Wales

Moel-y-Gest, Porthmadog, Wales

Postby U059361 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Date walked: 06/08/2014

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 5.7 km

Ascent: 305m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was staying at Garreg Wen with friends at their holiday home and a very lovely evening was too inviting not to take advantage. So they suggested heading up Moel-y-Gest, the local viewpoint. So this walk is routed from their front door, but there are several connecting paths and it crossed the road to Black Rock Sands so can be started from several places.
ImageMoel-y-Gest by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The path goes through dense bracken, over head height in places to get to the road. Across the road, over the style and through a Llama farm (it has reindeer too) following the track through a gate. A track on the right heads up the slope beside the hill and at hole in the dyke took me to a small gate that let me walk through gorse and on up the slope till the fence is reached along the top of the field. Another style, rather the worse for wear and onto open hillside up the last steep climb to the top.
ImageFinal climb up to top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great views over to the coast now. At the top, a built cairn.
ImageThe cairn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
A rough path of sorts wanders all along the ridge from one end to the other, so I set off along it.
ImageView over Traeth Bach from top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Took a wee while to go the whole length as it isn't very open with lots of big boulders to avoid. But it was a good day, with good walking under foot.
ImageThe main top from south east side by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageView over estuary by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCricieth Castle and Llyn Peninsula by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
After reaching the end, I walked back to the bealach (bwlch) between the two ridges and dropped down to a clear path through the bracken leading back to the top of the path I left to climb up the hill. Just retraced my steps back to the start. Set me up nicely for dinner.
U059361
Rambler

Munros:89   Corbetts:30
Grahams:20   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland