walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Hebog from Cwmystradllyn

Moel Hebog from Cwmystradllyn

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Hebog, Moel Lefn, Moel yr Ogof

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 15.25 km

Ascent: 930m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A mix of sunshine and stormy showers for a very quiet, but unexpectedly tricky, bank-holiday weekend Snowdonia route.

moel hebog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There were a couple of fishermen parked at the shores of Llyn Cwmystradllyn, but I’m not sure many people have ever set off up the hills from this attractively remote hollow: the first paths north-west are unsigned and invisible on the ground, the on-map route being blocked by fences, a stream and impenetrable vegetation. Probably best to ignore the map and head in the general direction across the fields until meeting the level trackbed heading relentlessly along the 250m contour to Cwm Pennant – that, at least, is clear on the ground. This is pretty easy going, firmish underfoot even through some very boggy-looking surrounds, and – with good views to the Nantlle ridge and the coastline – a lot better than the usual alternative route below these hills through the northern forestry. I’m not actually sure how legitimate it is though – it isn’t a right-of-way and only a little is through access land: it’s obviously fairly well-trodden and furnished with some recently-built stiles, but also blocked by a couple of (navigable) barbwire fences and some deep stream crossings forded only by obviously neglected bridges. Throughout this long traverse – five miles barely setting a foot uphill – stormclouds were spilling over everything to the north and only a half-hour dousing heading into the Cwm Pennant mine-workings was probably a pretty decent result. From the forest-wall by the quarries (pretty marshy going to get there), it’s a fine ascent to Moel Lefn up a nicely-varied clear path through slate, heather, steep crags and a grassy finish. This felt a hard route to follow in descent a few years ago, and seems to have had some really good NP work done on it in the meantime.
Moel Hebog 008.jpg
Bridge on the Cwm Pennant level

Moel Hebog 011.jpg
Moel Lefn & Moel yr Ogof

Moel Hebog 015.jpg
Afon Cwm-lefrith

Moel Hebog 021.jpg
Craig-y-Garn past a windtwisted tree

Moel Hebog 029.jpg
Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd & Trum y Ddysgl below the storm

Moel Hebog 030.jpg
Moel Lefn

Moel Hebog 034.jpg
Y Gyrn over the Cwm Trwsgl quarry reservoir

Moel Hebog 046.jpg
Mynydd Graig Goch over Cwm Trwsgl

Moel Hebog 054.jpg
Trum y Ddysgl & Y Gyrn

Moel Hebog 056.jpg
Ascent of Moel Lefn

Moel Lefn and Moel yr Ogof are two really good craggy summits – beautiful views to the Snowdon range (on a better day) and the Moelwyns, and a nice rocky walk south with a couple of challenging half-scramble moments descending Moel yr Ogof, helped at least by a (new?) little bridge over the wettest patch. Moel Hebog itself, so testingly rocky climbed from Beddgelert, is just a (very steep and frustratingly convex) grassy upward slog from this side.
Moel Hebog 063.jpg
Moel Hebog & Moel yr Ogof from Moel Lefn

Moel Hebog 066.jpg
Nantgwynant valley & the Moelwynion

Moel Hebog 067.jpg
Llyn y Gader & Snowdon range

Moel Hebog 068.jpg
Craig Cwm Silyn & Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd

Moel Hebog 076.jpg
Moel Hebog from descent of Moel yr Ogof

Moel Hebog 080.jpg
Moel yr Ogof (path runs through the notch on the left)

Moel Hebog 082.jpg
Craig-y-Garn & Cwm Pennant

Moel Hebog 083.jpg
Moel yr Ogof, Moel Lefn, Trum y Ddysgl

Moel Hebog 088.jpg
Mynydd Graig Gioch & Craig Cwm Silyn from Moel Hebog summit

The south ridge should be an easy way down, dryish grassy slopes at a pleasant gradient looking towards to the sea, and I wouldn’t put anyone off it. But, carelessly checking the map too infrequently, I managed to follow the wrong wall down (ref 562459, TR not L…), and ended up trying to scramble down a vertiginously steep and slippery crag, with only loose heather for handholds. The worst part was probably only about 40-50m high, but – stuck most of the way down with a vertical no-options face below and having torn away most of the ‘holds’ above – this was as stuck as I’ve ever felt on a mountain. Embarrassingly, if I’d found a phone-signal, the Mountain Rescue would have been out wasting their time on someone who couldn’t follow a map and was about 15m away from an easy grassy slope… Probably just as well I couldn’t, spent a few minutes composing myself, and found a hairy fingernails route back up. Never felt such a fool on a basically easy route… These are good mountains in a fine location, but Moel Hebog is plainly my bete noire (the only other time I’ve felt close to being cragbound, albeit that time in an icy November fog rather than the middle of summer, was on the north face of the very same hill) and I’m never going back!
Moel Hebog 092.jpg
Llyn Cwmystradllyn

Moel Hebog 093.jpg
Tremadog Bay down Moel Hebog south ridge

Moel Hebog 096.jpg
Moel-ddu & Llyn Cwmystradllyn

Moel Hebog 099.jpg
Bryn Banog & Moel-ddu

Moel Hebog 104.jpg
Moel Hebog
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Moel Hebog from Cwmystradllyn

Postby stig_nest » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Great report as ever bud. I've had one or two of those moments myself.. the things we do eh!
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316

Postby martin.h » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 am

Nice report, your photo's tell me I should spend more time in Wales.
I think most of us have had sticky moments in the mountains and we've all thought "how the hell have I got myself into this " but we do look back with a smile and think "phew, close call". Thanks for posting.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby DaveB1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Another great report, Pops. Now the Wainwrights are done I think Wales is next and your great pics will provide a springboard. I did a similar goof up on Arran at the ripe old age of 16, contemplating whether to jump or scramble. a bum twitching learning experience never forgotten :lol:
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland