walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pike O'Blisco

Pike O'Blisco

Postby Phooooey » Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Pike o'Blisco

Hewitts included on this walk: Pike of Blisco

Date walked: 07/05/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 572m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A late start on a Friday afternoon realising that the Lakes were to see thousands of visitors for the Keswick to Barrow walk on the Saturday. Ellie wanted a small walk to stretch the legs so we picked out Lingmoor Fell.
01 Blea Tarn.JPG
After grabbing a couple of sandwiches at Blea Tarn, we drove slightly down the road and then went left instead of right (Ellie's idea not mine) and climbed up left hand side of Kettle Crag and up onto Wrynose Fell before pushing on to top of Pike O'Blisco.
04 Langdale Valley.JPG
Nice easy going on stone steps for majority although steep in places.
07 Ellie climbing steps to Wrynose Fells.JPG
08 Glancing back to Langdales.JPG
A walk of two contrasts, as after climbing steps upto top of Wrynose Fell, the walk turned to scrambles over a much rockier top.
12 Oh no .. theres more to go.JPG
The weather held off and the views from the top of the Crinkles, Bowfell, Langdales, Wetherlam & Swirl How were stunning even though it was pushing on for 7 O'Clock at night.
20 Ellie and the Crinkles.JPG
21 Top of Blisco with Swirl How and Wetherlam in background.JPG
We came down roughly the same way but cut out some of the scrambling by heading down towards Red Tarn first and walking round much of the base of the Pike. The steps made the legs turn to jelly on way down and a very welcome takeaway curry from Ulverston on way home was just the ticket.
A quick trip turned into quite a test for Ellie but at least she can't blame me ... lol.
Attachments
17 Coniston in background.JPG
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Pike O'Blisco

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun May 09, 2010 12:21 am

Looks like you had the mountain to yourselves :D
fedupofuserids

Postby Phooooey » Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 pm

met 5 blokes and a dog near top of steps up by kettle crag and a bloke ran past us on steps covering the distance that Ellie covered in nearly 2 hours in approx 10 mins.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 am

You drove over Pike O' Blisco? :lol: (you didn't say at what point you stopped driving :D )

It is pretty scrambly towards the top isn't it? That was the first Wainwright I (re)did when I started walking again in my 30s (I used to be dragged up the fells by my parents every holiday :D )
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland