walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Glaramara ridge

The Glaramara ridge

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Allen Crags, Glaramara, Rosthwaite Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Allen Crags, Dovenest Crag, Glaramara, Red Beck Top (Glaramara South Top)

Date walked: 28/06/2014

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1050m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another catch up report from June of a walk along the Glaramara ridge from Allen Crags to Bessyboot. We parked at England's wettest place, Seathwaite on a fine, dry but largely cloudy day. The walk up to Esk Hause from here is well trodden and easy, passing Grains Gil and Stockley bridge while all the time the imposing North face of Great End grows ever bigger. There are some nice views behind of borrowdale, but these get a whole lot better once you reach the unheralded but fine summit of Allen Crags. We stopped for a break to take in the views which encompass some of the grandest country in England.

ImageStockley Bridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Langdales from Esk Hause by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace and Hughie on Allen Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGreat Gable from Allen Crags by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk from Allen Crags to Glaramara is very pleasant on a good path that winds its way around rocky tors and shimmering tarns. Some beautiful views present themselves but none finer than the view down Borrowdale from Glaramara's wild rocky top.
There are few, if any fells or mountains that have quite such a beautiful name as Glaramara. One possible suggestion for translation is "the upland pasture by the ravines" which kind of fits with the topography but reduces the poetic and mysterious to the mundane. Along with Blencathra and Helvellyn I think I'd prefer not to know of it's possible origins.

ImageHigh House Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBow Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageRed Beck Top by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGlaramara view by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace on Glaramara by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk up to this point had been a pleasure and very easy going but getting to the Wainwright top of Rosthwaite Fell, the charmingly named Bessyboot was to prove somewhat more difficult. We headed north off the summit encountering an unexpected scramble before heading to the right side of the impressive Combe. If you are doing this walk for just pleasure and not intending to bag Bessyboot I'd suggest heading down the path on the West edge of the Combe for your descent route as the route to Bessyboot from here has little to recommend it. The ground is rough and largely pathless while the ill defined ridge has a confusing topography. I bagged the nondescript Dove Nest Top while Nicola and Grace carried onward towards our final target of the day. Grace was having a "moment" at this point so I bagged Rosthwaite Cam by myself. Quite why AW decided that that Bessyboot was the summit of this fell rather than this excellent rocky tor that requires a minor scramble to get to the top is another total mystery. :?

ImageThe Combe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageTarn at Leaves by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We passed another wonderful Lakeland name, the Tarn at Leaves, before the short ascent to our final target of the day. As a top Bessyboot is nice enough but I can still find no reason to defer to it from Rosthwaite Cam.

ImageBessyboot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It was a knee crushing descent before a pleasant walk back up Borrowdale towards Seathwaite and the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Glaramara ridge

Postby simon-b » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 pm

When a Lakeland ridge has more Hewitts than Wainwrights, you know it's going to be demanding. Well done for visiting them all on this walk, as well as Rosthwaite Cam. Wainwright put Dovenest Crag within Rosthwaite Fell's territory, which would make it the true summit, but of course opinions will differ as to where the boundary is between Glaramara and Rosthwaite Fell. I agree the Cam is definitely worth climbing.

The Cumbrian Celtic language was related to Welsh, so it's not hard to work out the origin of the final syllable of Helvellyn, but if you prefer not to know, Anthony, I won't say what the rest of the name means.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am

simon-b wrote:When a Lakeland ridge has more Hewitts than Wainwrights, you know it's going to be demanding. Well done for visiting them all on this walk, as well as Rosthwaite Cam. Wainwright put Dovenest Crag within Rosthwaite Fell's territory, which would make it the true summit, but of course opinions will differ as to where the boundary is between Glaramara and Rosthwaite Fell. I agree the Cam is definitely worth climbing.

The Cumbrian Celtic language was related to Welsh, so it's not hard to work out the origin of the final syllable of Helvellyn, but if you prefer not to know, Anthony, I won't say what the rest of the name means.

It's certainly a fair day out Simon once you put all of the minor ups and downs in there.

I suppose It's no surprise that confusion reigns as to just what should be classified as the top of Rosthwaite Fell given its topography. As you say Dovenest Crag is officially the highest point but as it's such a nondescript dowdy top I can see why AW ignored it.

I have a dictionary of Lakeland names so I know of a possible origin of Helvellyn, so prefer not to know is probably prefer to ignore. In the book I have the author suggests it possibly translates as Yellow upland.The Llyn would seam to be quite obvious but is ignored for some reason. I suppose as long as debate goes on we'll never have a definitive answer so the romance and mystery will remain.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Another lovely report, with great pictures and beautiful words too.

I have this walk to do soon, so its good to see it 'first hand' through someone elses eyes. Even though that is is a misnomer.

Its a fair old walk. And I need to tag on Seathwaite Fell as well. Better get up for an early start for this one!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Ibex wrote:Another lovely report, with great pictures and beautiful words too.

I have this walk to do soon, so its good to see it 'first hand' through someone elses eyes. Even though that is is a misnomer.

Its a fair old walk. And I need to tag on Seathwaite Fell as well. Better get up for an early start for this one!

If you intend including Seathwaite fell as well then It will certainly be a seriously tiring day. We too still have that one to do but with Base Brown standing out like a sore thumb on the other side of the valley I was intending combining them together.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland