walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Visiting the Dodds and their friends.

Visiting the Dodds and their friends.

Postby martin.h » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Raise, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Raise, Stybarrow Dodd, White Side

Date walked: 15/11/2014

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1223m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd looked at several different start points to do this route and finally decided on the little car park by the phone box just off the A591 as you are approaching Legburthwaite, we arrived early enough to be in with a fighting chance and found we were the second car there with enough space for two more cars, sorted!
The route I chose started with a short walk along the B5322 to the gate that leads up to Castle Rock then turn left along the leat marked on the map, along the wall as far as Fornside, then pick up the old peat track that zig zags up the fell side and, again, is marked on the map. This peat track was used to transport cut peat from higher on the fell and the bottom of it starts around NY3230 2075 and terminates at a sheepfold type construction at around NY3270 2125.
From the sheepfold we took a raising traverse towards Clough Head and picked up the path leading to it. From that point on it was plain sailing. We arrived at Clough Head with nice views north, but towards Great Dodd, Watsons Dodd and the rest of our route was all obscured with cloud.
The walk over to Calfhow Pike was o.k albeit a bit soggy and was clear of clag but we were soon heading into it, ah well, we're familiar with that theme.
Once in the cloud, we stayed in it all the way to White Side, made one or two variations to the route when looking for the cairns on Watsons Dodd and Stybarrow Dodd, as was a mountain biker who we met on three occasions looking for the way to Calfhow Pike, we put him right in the end so off he went into the gloom, hope he found his way.
We did meet a few people on our way and had a natter with a few, the general feeling was one of "at least it's warm" and "it's not raining yet" and really, it was'nt too bad, just the cloud was a bit of a downer, so that explains the lack of interesting photo's on this report, it wasn't until we were coming off White Side when the cloud started breaking and we had some views, ain't that the case for all of us.
From Sticks Pass up to Raise the ground changes from grassy slopes to more rugged underfoot, here we were passed by a large group of moutainbikers who seemed to have no fear at all, they came off the top of Raise at full pelt, how they stayed upright I'll never know but they seemed to glide over the boulders and rocks as if spurned on by divine intervention or was it they just knew what they were doing, quite impressive all the same.
Next up was White Side and, as mentioned, just as we were leaving the cairn the clouds parted and we were treated to some good views at last.
We had a good day out and were lucky with the weather to a degree, the cloud is just one of those things in the hills, we'd never get out if we waited for decent weather and good visability.
PB150010.JPG
On the way up the peat track, over to Great How

PB150011.JPG
Skiddaw in the clouds, the light seemed a bit subdued and as a consequence my little point and shoot didn't deal with it so well

PB150013.JPG
Bram Crag looking steep and quite impressive

PB150015.JPG
Denise on Clough Head, the views from here on a good clear day must be something special most of Lakeland can be seen from here.

PB150016.JPG
Clouds rolling in

PB150017.JPG
Great Dodd in the cloud, Calfhow Pike is the little lump on the right of the main hillside, it's described as being similar in looks to a Dartmoor tor, closer up it does, from a distance it's quite indistinct

PB150019.JPG
Denise on Calfhow Pike, Clough head behind.

PB150021.JPG
Great Dodd, no views then?

PB150022.JPG
Watsons Dodd, took a bit of finding in the mist or we just missed the path leading to it

PB150023.JPG
Stybarrow Dodd, same old view, ah well

PB150024.JPG
Raise, there was a group of moutainbikers up here most of which were Americans with a guide, they seemed to be quite impressed with the terrain.

PB150025.JPG
Impressive Views

PB150027.JPG
White Side, just before the big revelation.

PB150028.JPG
Cloud getting Thinner.

PB150031.JPG
As if by magic wonderful views appear

PB150032.JPG
Better and better

PB150033.JPG
Thirlmere appearing, not the best but I wanted to get a shot while I could.

PB150035.JPG
Now we were getting a sence of scale.

PB150036.JPG
Skiddaw in the distance looking brooding amongst the cloud.

PB150037.JPG
Looking back, Watsons Dodd still in cloud.

PB150038.JPG
Down towards Legburthwaite and High Rigg

PB150039.JPG
Same View slightly zoomed

PB150047.JPG
What's that bright light?

PB150049.JPG
A bit better view of Thirlmere Autumn colours abound.

PB150051.JPG
A shot of the leat, I'm not sure what this provided the power for but there was (or still is) a sawmill around here and I wonder if the leat drove a waterwheel to power the saws, I'm probably wrong, if anybody know's I'd like to hear what it was for.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland