walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Welsh Winter Assault - Day 1 (Plynlimon 4 +1 Nuttall)

Welsh Winter Assault - Day 1 (Plynlimon 4 +1 Nuttall)

Postby Ibex » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen Pumlumon Arwystli, Pen Pumlumon Llygad-bychan, Plynlimon (Pumlumon Fawr), Y Garn (Plynlimon)

Date walked: 21/11/2014

Time taken: 4

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a few days free, so got in touch with AJ and we arranged to do a couple of days in Wales to bag some Hewitts.
AJ just had the Plynlimon 5 to do, to finish Central Wales, so I got up at 5.30 and headed there in the car to meet him for Friday morning. After a bit of looking about, we managed to get hold of a map and AJ plugged in Poppiesrara's start point co-ordinates to his GPS and we headed off to the Nant-y-moch resevoir.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This map in no way is accurate. Just a guess where we went.

On the way we came across some pretty agitated highland looking cattle, who were not too happy to see us, or let us pass.
I was just glad AJ was driving a red car and mine was not.

After ten minutes of slow edging forward, we got past the cows and parked up. We had to get dressed and organised in the pouring rain. I got ready in a rush and made a few silly mistakes, as I got ready. This lead to my boots, socks and gloves getting soaked.
It was pouring with rain and about 6 degree's. We headed up hill towards the first peak, which was a Nuttall that AJ wanted to bag. I believe it was called Pumlumon Fach.

The higher we got the worse the wind got, to the point where it was so cold it was making my teeth hurt.
We headed on to the first Hewitt, which was Pen-Punlumon Fawr. It was quite a step climb up, but not too far. There was a good trig point on top.
Sadly the wind and driving rain prevented any thoughts of photography. We decided to carry on and due to the heavy fog we were reliant on AJ's GPS for navigation. We skirted around some bogey ground and were at the next summit in about twenty minutes. After circumnavigating the bog, we followed the fence to the third summit. From here there was about 2km to the next, so we hardly even stopped. Any idling would lead to getting very cold. We marched to the third peak, which was Pen Pumlumon Arwystli. There was around 2km between the peaks, so it was a good solid trek, still following the fence. We passed some large peat hags on the way and made it to the summit of hill number 4 in around half an hour.

After this summit we returned to the previous one and then moved our way along the ridge to get to Y Garn from the South East. I had to stop, to cram in a sandwich, which I had to gain access too with my teeth, as my hands were freezing. After a quick gobble, we gained the summit of the final hill and then headed down hill as quick as possible.
We got back to the cars and got some dry clothes on. The original plan was to head on to do Pen Y Garn, which is aproximately 30 mins drive South, but we were going to lose the light and were both soden. So we headed to the YHA in Borth and cleaned up and headed to the Victoria Inn pub, for food and beers. Good day all around!

On the return to the YHA, I noticed this sign in the toilets which amused me.

Both of us got our heads down for a good nights sleep, after a testing day in the hills, which was ultimately quite satisfying. Even though we saw nothing more than 10 feet beyond our faces. Can't have good weather all the time.....
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Welsh Winter Assault - Day 1 (Plynlimon 4 +1 Nuttall)

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 am

Good session Ibex. Enjoyed it a lot whatever the weather! :clap:

That cattle was damn mean-looking though, especially the big black one that I dodged eye-contact with! :shh:
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Yeah, he was not happy. What worried my was the steam of his breath coming out, whilst he eyeballed us.

The weather on the second day made up for the first I thought. Was a good couple of days. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Well done guys!! You're hardier than me ...out in the peeing rain all day! :lol:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby AJNicholls » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Alice. That's just what rain does though, at least whenever I go outside! :crazy:
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland