walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head

Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head

Postby Derek T » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 02/05/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 912m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I found this to be a very, very hard slog which starts just above sea level and for the most part is a stone staircase of lung-bursting proportions. Most of the 3,000ft ascent is achieved in about 1 mile of very steep climbing and after that there are many false summits which sap the strength from your will and your legs. This is definitely the most difficult lump of rock I have ever trudged up. It took me around 5 hours to cover less than 7 miles.

The view from the top was stunning, as was the view from the bottom and all points on the ascent. This is perhaps one of the most beautiful place I have ever been. It took my breath away in more ways than one.
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head

Postby colgregg » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I've never tackled the pike from Wasdale. Did you go Via Styhead? I like the route from Seathwaite and Esk Hause, Returning Via the Corridor route and Styhead. I've written elsewhere about my thoughts on Scafell Pike, for me it's a G.U.S.O (Get Up, Sod Off) mountain. Once there enjoy the view for a few minutes the beat a hasty retreat from the noise and crowds. Ideally head for Lingmell with it's summit perched on the edge of the cliffs overlooking Piers Gill and with superb views of Mosedale, Great Gable and the Scafells and that all important peace and tranquility.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Derek T » Fri May 21, 2010 12:51 am

colgregg wrote:it's a G.U.S.O (Get Up, Sod Off) mountain

Agreed. The walk up those steps was bad enough but meeting 200 people on the summit was just horrific.

I went up the path/steps from the Wasdale Head car park, up and over Brown Tongue, left and over the boulder fields to Lingmell Col and then up, up and up to the summit. It's a mountain that everyone should do at some point but the enjoyment is in having done it rather than the crowded experience following a conga up and down and searching for a place to sit on the summit to enjoy your cup of tea.
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri May 21, 2010 7:44 am

G.U.S.O. Applies to all the main summits in the lake district during the summer months.I walked Scafell Pike the winter before last,me and my mates had the summit to ourselves and a beautiful sunset to watch as well.

If your looking at doing Scafell at some point go from Eskdale/Hardknott side this is a generally quieter as is the summit of Scafell ,you ll be able to see the massed crowds on the Pike from there whilst you have a nice quiet lunch.Enjoy :D
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri May 21, 2010 8:59 am

You need to be early to get a parking place and to be alone on the summit!

The problem is magnified in the approaching summer months.

For some reason a lot of interesting fells don't get the attention they deserve and therefore are quieter.

Also when choosing routes some paths seem to have fallen out of favour !

Regarding Scafell Pike, at the moment, if you can be parked before 9.00 you'll get a space and if you can be on the summit by about 10.30 you might be lucky to have it to yourself.

From about the end of this month things will start to get busier - so you will need to be even earlier!
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Sat May 22, 2010 10:57 pm

There's lot of nice, quiet summits in the Lakes - obviously Scafell Pike will never be one as it's the main attraction for tourists, being the biggest. But I love both the Wasdale ascent which is short and quick, and the one from Seathwaite, especially via The Corridor Route, as it's very interesting - it is long though...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland