walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Midi - Plan Taverse

Midi - Plan Taverse

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Date walked: 16/07/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was recently an excellent report written here by mgmt! (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45199) so this is just a relatively brief note as we finished slightly differently .
We must have taken an early cable car, and wandered along the delightful snow slopes to the Col du Plan where it gets a bit more serious
MIP01.jpg
Mont Blanc de Tacul and the "Black triangle"
MIP02.jpg
The classic view - Grand Jorasses, Rochefort and Aiguille de Geant
MIP03.jpg
Mont Maudit and the Dome de Gouter come into view
MIP04.jpg
Looking along the route -the Aiguille du Plan is on the L skyline
MIP05.jpg
Looking back along the route with the Midi on the R
MIP06.jpg
The Tour Ronde and the striking Aiguille du Capucin
MIP07.jpg
Steve getting sorted where the climbing begins - The Rognon is on the R and the Aiguille at the back
At this point you make an ascending traverse of the N side of the Rognon du Plan: the snow was quite icy and a bit sparse. I find traversing with a single axe quite hard: going up or down your C of G is more or less below the placement, whereas traversing it is always to one side - I guess you get used to it. Anyway there were lots of large rock belays so we made good progress back to the ridge where one abseils down to the snow
MIP08.jpg
The Plan from the abseil point - the Drus, Verte and Droites are behind
MIP09.jpg
A closer look at the Jorasses - Geant masif - the spiky ridge - lower L is Les Periades
MIP10.jpg
Steve preparing the abseil
As mgmt found, the slopes leading to the Plagne were already softening in the sun, but we reached the summit with no real difficulty
MIP11.jpg
Looking back along the whole route to the Midi
MIP11a.jpg
The usual summit photograph
MIP11B.jpg
But Steve is always busy - thIs time preparing the abseil from the summit
MIP12.jpg
Panoramic view from the summit : the Mer de glace is down to the L with the Talefre basin above and the Grand Combin is on the horizon above it
The snow on the way back looked so soft that we decided against reversing the route, but to descend the Glacier D'Envers du Plan to the Requin hut. The glacier is quite crevassed, but others before us had made the same decision and we were able to follow a reassuringly wide track. We stopped at the Requin hut for the obligatory beer
MIP16.jpg

before decending the endless ladders to the Mer de Glace - hard to envisage that the glacier was just outside the hut when it was built :o Once on the Mer de Glace we traversed into the centre to avoid the large lateral crevasses at the edge and descended towards Montenvers. I noticed that a substantial river was forming on our L and was wondering how we were going to cross it - when it suddenly vanished down a moulin :shock: :shock: . Scary - you wouldn't want to be Kayaking down that :lol:
MIP17.jpg

Any way we reached the ladders that lead (again endlessly) up to Montenvers and returned to Cham. A nice route but in the conditions not that easy for PD
Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:85
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:145
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Midi - Plan Taverse

Postby larry groo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:35 am

Absolutely stunning pics!!

Thanks for sharing.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Postby mgmt! » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

fantastic report and pictures there past my sell by date, will need to go back to finish this one day.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:10 am

Fabulous pics. Enjoyment greater than the feelings of envy....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:32
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:254
Wainwrights:109   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:23 am

Stunning :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:199
Grahams:62   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland