walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

This is Knott the path!

This is Knott the path!

Postby mike202 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike (Northern Fells), Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike, Knott

Date walked: 27/01/2015

Time taken: 5

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1290m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carrock Fell, High Pike and Knott.

I thought I would continue with the Northern fells whilst the weather wasn’t too bad. However this trip the weather was a bit more mild and misty than I had anticipated. I drove just beyond Mosedale village and parked the car off the road near Stone Ends farm, at a place called appropriately Apronful of Stones.

Looking up at the east face of Carrock Fell I could see the path, called rake trod, heading up from the right to the top left. It was a fairly steep track heading up but fairly straightforward. The rowan tree mentioned in the Northern Fells book was also in evidence.

The slopes are strewn with dark grey rock called Gabbro which is the same as the Cuillins on Skye and not found anywhere else in Lakeland I believe.

The clag was down on the tops and unfortunately there were no views all day. The wind got stronger and walking was difficult going along the ridge to High Pike. It certainly wasn’t the day for taking a seat on the stone bench. I sheltered behind the large pile of stones for a snack.

Heading south past the Lingy hut on the Cumbria Way I then headed for the col between Knott and Combe Height, after crossing Grainsgill Beck, and then west for the summit of Knott. Due to the mist I missed the path by cutting the corner and climbed most of the way over rough heathery ground only finding the path again near the top. Of course heading back down was easy having the path this time. As a plus the wind was behind me now as well.

At the col I decided to head for Grainsgill Beck which is part of the Cumbria Way and had lunch in the lee of the westerly wind. I couldn’t believe that there was hardly any snow on these fells; it had been fairly mild for a few days so it must have melted. The week before they were covered in snow.

Going down the path by the beck was quite steep and eventually I came to the old tungsten mine workings that had closed in 1981. From there a small road took me back to Mosedale village and then a short walk past Mosedale Moss back to Stone Ends. There was hardly a breath of wind down here, in contrast to the tops. Not surprisingly I didn’t see anyone else on fells all day. :shock: :wink:

Stone Ends farm behind the Rowan Tree

looking north

sheepfold?

summit of Carrock Fell

High Pike

Knott

Grainsgill Beck

Mine workings

road to Mosedale lined with Juniper

Bowscale Fell

Mosedale Village

Mosedale Moss

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland