walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fairfield via Red Screes and Kilnshaw Chimney.

Fairfield via Red Screes and Kilnshaw Chimney.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Hart Crag, Little Hart Crag, Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Hart Crag, Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Date walked: 06/04/2007

Time taken: 5.38

Distance: 19.1 km

Ascent: 1309m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fairfield via Red Screes and Kilnshaw Chimney.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Joe and I, along with David (Joe’s son) set off from the Kirkstone Pass car park which is across from the Kirkstone Inn to climb Red Screes via Kilnshaw Chimney. The start of the path is through the rocks to the left of the chimney and then works its way east across the scree along the path which is rough and slippery and then up to the chimney itself, and, as the name implies, is predominately on red scree. The chimney is a narrow and rocky gulley which runs up and through the craggy face of Red Screes overlooking the Kirkstone Pass Inn.
Red Screes from Kirkstone Pass Road.jpg
Red Screes from Kirkstone Pass road.

We gained height quickly and the going up the chimney was OK until we reached the 2½ metre step. At this point we struggled to get up this obstacle as the rock was wet and slippery and the hand and foot holds were very thin on the ground. I had first done this route around five years previously with my wife and trusty dog trailing behind and found the 'bad step' quite easy to negotiate at that time as it was about 2 metres high, but you could easily get a grip on the top edge to enable oneself to clamber up and over it. But, as time has passed the ground below the step has been worn away by many boots and weather, making it as it was on this attempt. Joe was the first one to attempt the climb and failed. I went next after removing my rucksack which allowed me more room to wriggle around. I have to say that I also struggled but with a lot of effort and cleaning out cracks in the rocks I eventually got enough purchase to get myself up. Joe came next followed by David.
Approaching Kilnshaw Chimney.jpg
Approaching Kilnshaw Chimney.

The foot of the chimney.jpg
The foot of the chimney.

The start of the chimney climb.jpg
The start of the chimney route.

Climbing Kilnshaw Chimney.JPG
Climbing up the chimney.

Joe finishing off the Kilnshaw Chimney.jpg
Joe finishing off the climb up.

We arrived at the trig point at the summit where photos were taken and then we set off on the descent to Middle Dodd which, once achieved meant that I had completed another Wainwright book, The Eastern Fells Book No. 1.
7-Kirkstone Pass from the top of Red Screes.jpg
Kirkstone Pass from the top of the chimney.

8-View from the top of Kilnshaw Chimney.jpg
View from the top of the chimney route.

9-Red Screes summit cairn.JPG
Red Screes summit cairn.

10-Middle Dodd from Red Screes summit.jpg
Middle Dodd from Red Screes summit.

Having reached the summit cairn of Middle Dodd we then set off for Little Hart Crag and High Bakestones by cutting across the western flank of Middle Dodd and picking up the main ridge path. The large cairn at High Bakestones is well built and in a most prominent position from where great views to every aspect can be seen. Our next objective was Dove Crag which is where we had our lunch break. Whilst having lunch we decided as we had plenty of time to go on to Hart Crag and Fairfield.
12-High Bakestones cairn.jpg
High Bakestones cairn.

13-Dove Crag summit cairn.jpg
Dove Crag top.

14-High Pike and Low Pike from Hart Crag.jpg
High Pike and Low Pike from Hart Crag.

15-Fairfield from Hart Crag.jpg
Fairfield from Hart Crag.

16-Fairfield summit.jpg
As usual a busy Fairfield summit.

17-Cofa Pike and St Sunday Crag from Fairfield.jpg
Cofa Pike and St. Sunday Crag from Faifield.

18-Cofa Pike.jpg
Cofa Pike.

19-St Sunday Crag from Fairfield.jpg
St Sunday Crag from Faifield.

20-The view into Deepdale from Fairfield.jpg
The view into Deepdale from Fairfield.

Leaving Fairfield which as usual was quite busy and after the regulation photos were taken we set off back to the car via Dove Crag where we saw a group of people climbing up to the 'priests hole' - which is just under the summit on its north face - down into Dovedale, across the bottom of High Hartsop Dodd and then followed the path which runs under Middle Dodd, Red Screes and is adjacent to the Kirkstone Pass Road.
21-Dove Crag with cave at the top.jpg
Dove Crag with cave just under the summit.

22-Looking into Dovedale from below Dove Crag.jpg
Looking into Dovedale from below Dove Crag.

24-The Kirkstone.jpg
The Kirkstone after which the Pass is named.

This was a good day out with sun and warm weather, no rain or mist, and the first day for a long time that there wasn’t any wind.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Fairfield via Red Screes and Kilnshaw Chimney.

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:45 pm

That looks like quite ascent up the Red Screes Gully, well done :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby trailmasher » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Beaner001 wrote:That looks like quite ascent up the Red Screes Gully, well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks for your comment and yes, quite steep and slippery in places and not much standing room at the bottom of the step. But a great way to go.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 am

That's a good grunt with some hard work along the way by the look of that chimney, loose and steep is always an 'interesting' combination :lol: great photos in the chimney too :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:45 pm

ChrisW wrote:That's a good grunt with some hard work along the way by the look of that chimney, loose and steep is always an 'interesting' combination :lol: great photos in the chimney too :clap:

Yes mate, a good way to go but not when it's raining. Like climbing a waterfall I would think! How's things in Calgary lately?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland