walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Bleak Day on Bleaklow Head

A Bleak Day on Bleaklow Head

Postby Derek T » Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Bleaklow Head

Date walked: 29/05/2010

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 283m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bleak day indeed :(

I followed GarryH's route with the intention of testing my navigation skills to see if I could find the B29 wreckage but decided to save that for another day as the visibility on the summit was almost zero and it was the first time I had been on this hill.

The walk through the woods from the car park was awful. I'm sure it is a different experience on a dry day but today it was tortuous climbing over and brushing against fallen trees and foliage. I was soaking wet almost before I started. If you decide to follow this route on a wet day I would advise you to park in one of the laybys further along the A57 and get onto the hill immediately rather than go through these woods.

The paths from Doctor's Gate and on the Pinnine Way are excellent and very easy to follow even in thick fog. When I got to the summit I was treated to a freezing cold wind so took two quick snaps with the camera and headed straight back the way I came.

I must head up there again soon on a clear day as I'm sure it can't be quite as bleak as it was today!

Here are the most interesting views I seen today...

Picture 001.jpg
Bleaklow Head summit cairn

Picture 002.jpg
What a lovely day...
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland