walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Mockingbird Hill ( A Spring Quickie)

Canada - Mockingbird Hill ( A Spring Quickie)

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:32 am

Date walked: 12/03/2015

Time taken: 2

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 354m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was actually just going to be a diary entry for my own info but I liked some of the shots so thought I'd share a few on the forum. Mockingbird Hill is one I've done before but I took a friend there today for an easy spring day jaunt. It was nice to be out and about again after painting, building, putting up shelves etc (the usual new house stuff)

Mockingbird Hill is the site of a fire lookout tower which is manned from April to October, it sits in the 'North Ghost' which is part of the greater 'Ghost Wilderness' area that sits just a few miles northwest of my new home in Cochrane. The 'Ghost' is a wonderful place I return to frequently all year round, it is known globally amongst ice climbers as one of the worlds leading venues for the sport. It is home to the greatest population of mountain lions in North America and the elusive 'Fairholme Range' Wolf pack. There's also the usual bears in black, brown and Griz and so many wild horses that a cull is frequently undertaken. Lastly it is home to some very rare species of butterfly (I confess I don't know which and could walk right past one without knowing :( )

Anyway, here's a few shots from the day.

Black Rock mountain overlooking a still frozen river:

The initial view from the top where the windsock allows supply helicopters to read the landing zone conditions (when the lookout is in use) :

To the south a small snowstorm blows through:

My favourite from the day I think, the misty blue hills of the Ghost (a zoomed shot of that storm) :

The tiny foothills to the south:

Black Rock Mountain to the southwest:

The Fairholme Range directly west:

Mountains stretching off infinitely to the north:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Mockingbird Hill ( A Spring Quickie)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Always worth seeing those mountains Chris
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Great pictures and location. It's nice to see the real Canada and must feel like being in a gigantic Lake District. :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:40 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Always worth seeing those mountains Chris

I feel the same JK....and I can see them right from my house now :D

trailmasher wrote:Great pictures and location. It's nice to see the real Canada and must feel like being in a gigantic Lake District. :clap:

Thanks Trailmasher, it's even better than a gigantic lake district (if that's possible) More huge pointed peaks and millions of acres of forest :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby mamoset » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:57 pm

What a nice quickie that was Chris. Love the expance of that mountain range.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:20 pm

mamoset wrote:What a nice quickie that was Chris. Love the expance of that mountain range.

Thanks Mamoset, the mountains are literally endless from that spot, they just fade away to the horizon in both directions...awesome :D
ChrisW
Rambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland