walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cadair Idris.(an alternative route)

Cadair Idris.(an alternative route)

Postby johnovey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Idris - Penygadair

Date walked: 30/05/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a week of daily checking weather forecasts, the bank holiday weekend was here. The forecast was not brilliant but Sunday looked like it might be ok.
Myself, son Nick and his mate Ali set off at 5.00am on Saturday 29th for our adventure to North Wales.

We were camping at the foot of the mountain in a field attached to Cwmrhwyddfor Farm.
The toilets and showers here are quite basic but a brilliant setting and view to wake up to.
View from our tents.JPG

Saturday was wet but we were able to pitch tents early afternoon. We decided to take a short walk in the afternoon with the expectation of getting wet!
We followed the Minffordd path up to Llyn Cau where the cloud level was probably at about 1500ft. A pleasant walk around the Llyn with a few scrambley bits then it was back to the tent to dry out.
Low cloud on Saturday.JPG

Low cloud at Llyn Cau.JPG

One odd sight on the way up to the Llyn was a group of about 20 Iranian people descending wearing very unsuitable clothing to say the least. Some were carrying umbrellas and the rest were wearing what looked like plastic cake covers on their heads. :shock:

Hopefully tomorrow would be clearer than today!!

It was!! :D :D
John and Nick.JPG

We were away at 9.00am after a hearty breakfast. We were soon back at Llyn Cau and could now see our route up and around the rim of this fantastic mountain.
There is a large boulder here on which we had a play before continuing
Nick and Ali scrambling up the boulder.JPG

The walk up Pen Y Fan a couple of weeks ago must have done a bit of good as we had made pretty good time so far.
The usual bowl photo.JPG

Unfortunately things now slowed up a bit as we climbed to the first point at Craig Cwm Amarch .
Looking up at the awesome cliff face.JPG

A steep gully.JPG

The first target Craig Cwm Amarch.JPG

At this point we had a bite to eat on the edge of cliff looking back down at the Llyn.
From Craig Cwm Amarch.JPG
With the wind picking up a bit we stayed clear of the edge!

Looking up to Penygadair the path looked like a gentle gradient but that was not the case as we climbed to our next target.
Path to Penygadair.JPG

We had the shelter to ourselves for a few minutes then we were swamped by a party who filled the place. Time to move on I think.
Back to Craig Cwm Amarch.JPG

After a brief look down to the fox’s path which we planned to do tomorrow, we headed for Mynydd Moel which was a pleasant stroll with great views across Barmouth and beyond. It was now really clear with Anglesey now visible and I am sure we could see Snowdon in the distance but I could not be certain.
I had planned the route to include Gau Graig down the steep path from Mynydd Moel before making our way down the mountain. On our return from Gau Graig we did not fancy the idea of climbing the steep path to re-join the conventional descent path so planned a short cut. We re-traced our steps to a stile then cut across the heather between the crags until we found ourselves back on track.
We followed this descent to the point where the path takes a right over the stile to rejoin the Minffordd path and the steps back to the car park At this point we turned left past the wrecked shed (shelter) and continued on a very eroded path across the top of the crags below. Over a stream then skirting around the hill descending into the back of Cwmrhwyddfor Farm. Looking back up the hill it looked a bit hairy where we had been but was quite a safe return route and was great to be off the beaten track where few had trodden recently.
Off the beaten track.JPG

Rounding the hill. Campsite ahead.JPG

From here it was the most difficult manoeuvre of the day. The only thing between us and our tent was the Farmyard where 2 loose sheepdogs and 4 dogs tethered by chains to their kennels.
Fingers crossed, we briskly walked across the farmyard with the 4 dogs barking and straining at their chains, which safely kept them from us!!!
Not sure where the other 2 got to but we were home. Phew!!
A great day out on a fantastic mountain and well worth the 300 miles each way to get here.

Cadair Idris.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Cadair Idris.(an alternative route)

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:51 am

We did a similar descent once in mist (we'd tried to find the path down from Mynydd Moel but failed miserably in the mist). We went wrong when we crossed the stile and fenceline and continued on slightly. We ended up coming down between the crags on scree and no path and then down the ridge above the farm where you camped. My walking buddy Richard (normally the non-mountain-cowardly one) thought my route was nuts and wasn't happy about us being lost (I'm the navigator on our trips so it was my fault). We got down but the farmer met us in his yard scratching his head and wondering where we'd come from - when we told him, he said the final ridge (that you guys and we came down) was the old route down but hadn't been used for years!
mountain coward

Postby johnovey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 am

Yes MC, it was definitely an old route but we really enjoyed the challenge. It also got us away from the stream of people coming up the steps. I did question our sanity a couple of times when we lost the path ! :D
Not surprisingly, we did not see any other walkers on our path!
johnovey
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Still laughing at the 'plastic cake covers on their heads' comment! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby johnovey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:32 pm

It was really funny MC, I wish I had taken some photos but most of the time we were ducking to avoid being impailed on their umbrella spikes !! :) :)
johnovey
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Ouch yeah - those things are bad enough on the High Street - being tall, people are always nearly spiking me with the things :(
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland