walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cushat Law: grassy waterbeds and disappearing dogs

Cushat Law: grassy waterbeds and disappearing dogs

Postby OpenC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cushat Law

Date walked: 22/03/2015

Time taken: 3

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, Cushat Law. Big brother (by all of five metres, at 615m) to last week's hill, Bloodybush Edge, to which it's joined by a high level link which I resolutely ignored both times. Probably more visited than Bloodybush Edge because it's (much) closer to a road end, but still one of the Cheviots' least frequented spots. I've been up before - it's the closest big hill to my house at a mere 15 miles or so - but never on a good day, which today promised to be. In the corner of Northumberland which I come from, a Cushat is a wood pigeon or a collared dove.

I don't want to say it's not as boggy as Bloodybush Edge because it had eight days of further drying time since last weekend, but the going was noticeably drier. What Cushat Law and surrounding hills does have, though, is an abundance of peat hags and holes which are sometimes deep, and will be potentially dangerous for dogs. Anybody walking here needs to be sure they keep an eye on any dogs/children/whatever that go with them; seriously, the place could be lethal. I left my dogs at home, which is something I don't do very often.

I should also say that I consider this to be one of those walks that a camera can't do justice to, because the views are so expansive and wide-ranging. Wide angle shots like these shrink all the detail; the hills surrounding Cushat Law are majestic in their own rounded, bleak, Cheviot-ish way.

This walk gets good before you're even out of the car. This is my favourite road in Northumberland, from Castle Hill on toward Ewartly Shank

..and you're in the company of high hills and wide open spaces as soon as you get out. This is just yards from the car, and makes a nice change to starting in a steep-sided valley. Cushat Law is the ridge on the left of the skyline.

Crossing the marsh in front of the farm was a nightmare. There was a place which looked for all the world like regular solid earth (grass cover and everything) but which rippled and shook for three or four feet around when any weight was put onto it. It was like a waterbed. Never seen anything like it. If it hadn't been so terrifying, I would have stopped for some video but in reality I just wanted off it as soon as I could. I decided fairly soon after this that I wouldn't be coming back the same way.

The path leads you directly toward the farmhouses of Ewartly Shank which is always disconcerting. The finger posts disappeared at the property boundary so I guessed that I needed to skirt the plantation to the left. This was utterly wrong, and led to a steep descent down a slippery grass slope to the Shank Burn, where I took a quick right and joined up with the good farm road which I had been looking for. If I was here again, I would just follow the road from the start, not the footpath.

First proper look at Cushat Law from the wrong path.

Heading toward Little Dod and Shill Moor. People have their own opinions about tracks like this in wild country, but this is a delight compared to the horrors that came before and will come again. Shill Moor summit is just 100m above this and 1km away, and could easily be included.

The view over toward the ridge I'd follow on the way back. Hogdon Law is the left hand peak, Cushat Law is the right.

The path up Cushat Law by the spur of Bush Knowe is generally pretty good with the occasional bog and the tell-tale black edged lines that are hints of peat hags to come (in reality, the peat hags on the route are all avoidable unlike, for example, on Comb Fell).

The views that open up toward the high Cheviots to the right as height is gained are amazing, I love this place although it's absolutely an acquired taste. This is one of those "picture can't do it justice" places.

Cushat Law summit cairn and shelter, with the improbably rounded Bloodbush Edge behind. A most agreeble spot, which is unusual around these parts. There's even a seat at the end of the shelter.

The route on toward Hogdon Law. As soon as Cushat Law's summit is left, the terrain takes a turn for the worse again; wet all the way, and with numerous hopeless bogs to cross which sometimes required going out of my way by a couple of hundred metres to find a safe way over. The ascent toward Hogdon Law is where the holes start to appear in earnest; they're all over the place, and being covered by grass are very easy to miss.

From this ascent, there's a view which includes all six of the high Cheviot hills - Windy Gyle, Bloodybush Edge, Cushat Law, Cheviot, Comb Fell and Hedgehope. It looks spectacular, but on a camera is too wide to even consider posting here. These are the first three.

Approaching Hogdon Law

Cushat Law, Cheviot, Comb Fell (if you know where to look) and Hedgehope from Hogdon Law summit. It's always unnaturally windy here.

Hogdon Law's summit cairn is a work of art; it looks like a ruined church from a distance.

The cairns on the way down are also very well made; there must have been some bored civil engineers hanging about hereabouts at some time. This way off the hills drops you virtually back down onto your car, and is a much better option than slogging back up from the Shank Burn on the farm road or the wobbly waterbed footpath.

So, better than I thought it would be, although I would still go with approaching both of these hills from the West despite the considerable extra distance and extra bog. This was just a little walk, really; six or seven miles with maybe 600m of ascent. Good practice, though, and a surprisingly good summit after the disappointment of Bloodybush Edge.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by OpenC on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Re: Cushat Law: grassy waterbeds and disappearing dogs

Postby trailmasher » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Good report and photos, and like you I'm rather partial to the wilderness of the open fells despite the barren aspects.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:06 am

Lovely stuff OpenC, I know what you mean about the wide angle lens 'diminishing' the landscape, they do have their uses of course but also their limitations :roll: You still managed to get some beautiful photos on what looks like another 'have the place to yourself' hike :thumbup:

There was a place which looked for all the world like regular solid earth (grass cover and everything) but which rippled and shook for three or four feet around when any weight was put onto it. It was like a waterbed.

I've never come across ground like that .....and don't care if I never do :shock: .... :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:00 pm

Another fine report filled with some good advice. The photos may not do the place justice but you still have some crackers in there.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby tony-c » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 pm

I was up there yesterday also. We walked from alwinton up to wether cairn then on to cushat law , bloodybush edge ( I read your report on that one last week so I wasn't looking forward to that bit :crazy: ) then we pushed on to windy gyle where we seen the only other people of the day. We returned to alwinton via clennell street to the rose and thistle for a cracking pint or two of Kingdom ale :wink: It's the first time I'd been here and Weather was great so not a bad day out all in all.
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129

Postby OpenC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm

I had been considering Wether Cairn and St David's Cairn, but I'd had about enough of the terrain by then and just wanted off. How did you go from Bloodybush to Windy Gyle? The way I went then up past Hazely Law to the border gate? Or straight down to Uswayford and through the forest? And had it dried up any, or was it still absolutely atrocious going?
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby OpenC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Oh, and the wobbly earth was like a much wobblier version of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/10646733/Wobbling-mud-baffles-walkers-in-New-Forest.html

Very strange :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby tony-c » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

We followed the fence down From bloodybush then we turned right onto a wet grassy track to uswayford then up through the forest were we seen some roe deer then onto the border ridge. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm not a big fan of the Cheviots despite them being my nearest hills but they were probably a bit drier than when you were there last week. I've done much worse in Scotland (carn dearg from Newtonmore will haunt me forever :shock: If you like the Cheviots you'll love that :lol: ) We walked past little ward law and were going to cut through the forest but it was impassable due to all the trees that had blown over. So we walked around the edge of the forest in a very wet and boggy field with cattle in but not a problem,passing the very grim sight of a snared fox than had obviously had a very long ,slow and painful demise :( Then from there it was down to the bridge (on one of your photos from the bloodybush report) then clennell street to the pub and a few pints of Hadrian border brewery,kingdom ale. :clap: :clap: :clap:
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129

Postby OpenC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:24 pm

** edit: I shouldn't post that, really.

That's the bit I hate the most about that central Cheviots area. You very rarely see that sort of thing (snares) around Cheviot and Hedgehope, or the more regular routes up to Windy Gyle. They're clearly not being checked daily as they should be. I would have reported that, personally :(
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby JonetCol » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Enjoyable nostalgia but scary deja vu as I read your report.

I had a v similar experience in 2016, doing Shill Moor, Cushat then Hogden Laws. Great hills and views but potholes lethal - and not just to kids and dogs. Hags and holes also bad on ascent of Cushat from E. Being a route less well trodden, the paths, such as they are, often fade into nothing.

I had another scary experience on my descent from Hogden. When the path petered out I opted to follow the Shank burn to the Salters Road only to get deeper and deeper into almost impenetrable gorse and the increasingly steep rocky bank of the stream. I got out unscathed but would strongly advise choosing an alternative route to the burn.

Its still a great walk but extra care is needed.
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby 37201xoIM » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:45 pm

I did a variation of this walk yesterday, 27 December, but in a clockwise direction, which made for a very satisfying walk in the scant 3 hours of daylight - rather fine crisp winter's daylight! - available to me.

I suspect things have perhaps moved on a little since this report was posted, as the route variant I followed (see attached GPX track) had at least some sort of track / path / quad-bike track for pretty much all its length, albeit a bit faint in the odd place. It sounds to have been far easier going than reported above! So I'd recommend it.

It's perhaps worth saying that from the farm at Ewartly Shank back to the start point, I just followed the extremely quiet road - sounds as though I may have avoided some more difficult going?

Maybe I have (as a native of Upper Calderdale!) more tolerance for wet ground, but while it was moderately boggy, to the extent of the occasional hop over an obviously plodgy bit, it was nothing difficult such as suggested above, and I was fine in my venerable Hunters!

The climbs and descents are of course all quite gentle. I didn't encounter any potholes myself either.

It is, in the kind of clear, crisp weather I enjoyed, a beautiful, remote and relaxing part of the world with wide and distant horizons in every direction: along the coast, towards Scotland and much of Northumberland, and out to sea... and with a magnificent solitude of having it all to yourself! Despite the weather, the only people I met were a couple of (sociable!) farmers on quad bikes.

All in all, it all confirmed my view that the Cheviots are massively underrated.... but perhaps there's a good case for keeping it that way!!
Attachments

20201227 Hogdon Cushat Law.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland