walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seatallan and Haycock

Seatallan and Haycock

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Caw Fell, Haycock, Seatallan

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock, Iron Crag, Seatallan

Date walked: 24/03/2015

Time taken: 8

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1185m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A good solo walk over one of the less-visited parts of the Lake District. I only met 1 fell runner and a couple during the whole eight hours that I was out (and none at all on the return through Nether Wasdale - although I did flush a couple of Snipe and a Woodcock). The bridleway (well marked on the OS 1:25,000 map) is very indistinct on the ground in places and much easier to loose than re-find, despite being very obvious near Harrow How. Some wet, rough ground will need to be negotiated on this route.
A real mix of weather was experienced on today's walk; snow, hail, rain, wind, thick mist and sunshine!
Since part of the purpose of the walk was to test out some new kit with a full pack it was definely mission accomplished! (Some of the new kit will stay at home in the future, some of the old kit will be binned, and one item needs to be added to the shopping list, but on the whole, the vast majority of the new kit performed excellently).
I returned to the car in bright sunshine and paid the customary visit to the Wasdale Head Inn (where else) before returning to my accommodation. :D :D :D
18 Kms (11 miles) 1185m ascent/descent (c. 4,000').
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Seatallan and Haycock

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Good effort Jonathan

I still have these few to do thanks for sharing
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Seatallan and Haycock

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:51 pm

There's some work in that round Jonathan particularly when you are having all weathers all day :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland