walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some central Fells

Some central Fells

Postby hooter2014 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blea Rigg, Harrison Stickle, Loft Crag, Pavey Ark, Sergeant Man, Silver How, Tarn Crag (Central Fells), Thunacar Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Harrison Stickle

Date walked: 17/04/2015

Time taken: 5.24

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 1270m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a glorious Thursday I was determined to enjoy the following day just as much. Although somewhat stiff from the previous days walking, it was in glorious sunshine that I set off towards Easedale Beck having parked just outside of Grasmere. A nice gentle walk up towards Sourmilk Gill and Easedale Tarn then I took a right and shot straight up over Greathead Crag towards my first target Tarn Crag.

From there it was a relatively straightforward walk up towards Coledale Head and from there to Sergeant Man. The weather wasn't quite as nice as the previous day, it began to cloud over a bit, but at no point did I ever have to add to my shorts and t-shirt combo.

Without having to loose or gain too much height it was over to Thunacar Knott and then a bit of a hop over some wet ground to Pavey Ark. Next after a bit of a scramble over the boulders and stones was Harrison Stickle with some great views over Stickle Tarn and Langdale.

From Harrison Stickle I took the lesser used path to the west and descended towards Dungeon Ghyll and then up and onto Loft Crag, making sure that I hit all of what I thought were its summits. I'd managed to walk straight past Loft Crag last year :oops: Hence the reason for this walk!

I skirted to the south east of Harrison Stickle and stopped and had my lunch beside Stickle Tarn.

After some fuel it was the relatively easy walk up to Blea Rigg and then just over a mile down to Silver How.

Again some technical issues are preventing me posting pictures, I'm hoping to get some up soon though.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Some central Fells

Postby mike202 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Considering your legs ached from the previous day, that's a decent walk!

You must me mopping up fells you haven't done before.

I was in the lakes last week as well; the weather was great wasn't it?

Looking forward to some pics. :)
mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland