walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cushat Law, Bloodybush Edge and Windy Gyle

Cushat Law, Bloodybush Edge and Windy Gyle

Postby Broggy1 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Bloodybush Edge, Cushat Law, Windy Gyle

Date walked: 01/05/2015

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 26.7 km

Ascent: 1181m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After spending the night in Alnwick I had the full day to complete the three remaining Cheviot hills before driving back to Appleby later in the day.

It had been a good forecast but it was obvious that the weather was going to be a bit more mixed (bright but with passing snow showers) as I set off from the good car park at Barrow Burn - obviously a place popular with the locals.

The initial climb up Barrow Law is over quickly and from there I lost a bit of height before heading over the foothills of Ward Law and Little Ward Law and then up onto Windy Gyle itself and the Border Ridge.

The walking had all been very pleasant so far on grassy hills and on the top of Windy Gyle I actually saw a few people (the only people I would see on any of the Cheviot summits over the two days).

Heading up Barrow Law.JPG
Heading up Barrow Law

Windy Gyle ahead.JPG
Windy Gyle now ahead

Windy Gyle Summit.JPG
Windy Gyle Trig Point with The Cheviot in view

PW.JPG
Pennine Way

Bloodybush Edge in view.JPG
Bloodybush Edge looks a long way from Windy Gyle!

I then followed the bridleway down over Little Ward Law before opting to take the path marked on OS Maps through the wood near Hepden Burn.

This proved to be a mistake as recent felling has left this area in a mess and progress was difficult up and over (and through) many fallen trees.

Eventually I reached the Hepden Burn and was able to follow this out of the wood and back onto the Bridleway leading to Uswayford.

From here it was a steady but easy climb up to meet the fence connecting Yarnspath Law and Bloodybush Edge and then along the fence itself (with a decent if wet path to follow beside it) right to the Trig on Bloodybush Edge.

Public ROW.JPG
Don't follow the right of way into the wood near Hepden Burn!

Heading for Uswayford.JPG
Back on the good track to Uswayford

Bridleway up.JPG
Bridleway up from Uswayford

Fence to Bloodybush.JPG
Follow the fence to Bloodybush Edge

Snow shower Yanspath law.JPG
A passing snow shower as I look back at Yarnspath Law

BB Edge.JPG
Trig Point on Bloodybush Edge

The next part of the route involved a fairly long out and back to reach Cushat Law. I knew this was going to be a wet and boggy part of the walk but navigation would be easy with a fence all the way and a pretty good peaty path throughout.

As it turned out progress was fairly easy and while it was seriously wet in places I found it much easier than the section linking Hedgehope Hill and Comb Fell the day before and soon enough I'd reached the high point on Cushat Law and the nearby shelter.

Cushat ahead.JPG
Cushat Law ahead

High point Cushat.JPG
High point on Cushat Law

Shelter on Cushat.JPG
Shelter on Cushat Law

From here the rest of the walk was basically a retracing of my steps - back over Bloodybush Edge, down to Uswayford and back over Barrow Law until I reached Barrow Burn.

Nearly back at BB Edge.JPG
Nearly back at Bloodybush Edge

Descending to Uswayford.JPG
Descending to Uswayford

Descending to Barrow Burn.JPG
Final descent from Barrow Law

A good long walk this one with only one (two with the retrace) boggy section between Bloodybush Edge and Cushat Law which itself isn't too bad after a dry spell.

The walk to Windy Gyle particularly is pleasant and it makes an interesting and worthwhile objective.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland