walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taking Her Up The Howitzer! (Greenburn Round)

Taking Her Up The Howitzer! (Greenburn Round)

Postby Ibex » Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Steel Fell

Date walked: 18/04/2015

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 725m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to my 4 on, 4 off shift pattern I am looking to get to the Lakes for more walks.
I convinced my new best mate to come up with me and explore some hills in the beautiful countryside. Her mother was a bit of a trekker and climber, so she was happy I was taking her daughter up to the hills.
My friend was a little apprehensive, as she had never done any hill walking before and wasn't much into fitness, but by the end of the week we were both pleasantly surprised at how she did and I think I converted her into a lover of the fells.

We had both worked long shifts for 6 days in a row, so she was a little perturbed when I told her I would pick her up at 3am. So we revised the time to 7.30am. We made the drive up from Oxford and didn't get too much traffic in the hellhole that is Birmingham.
We arrived in the Grasmere car park for around 12. We donned our boots and started to walk towards the base of Helm Crag. After half an hour of walking she was already enjoying the views. After around an hour and a half we hit a small flat section before the final small rise to the summit plateau and took a few photo's. She was now hooked on the stunning panorammas available on all sides. The Eastern Fells on one side and the Central Fells to the other.

Grasmere Tarn and Loughrigg fell beyond

The Eastern Fells

The final mini ascent to the summit plateau

After a brief sit, where we watched swirling winds carry the dried grass around in mini tornadoes, we climbed the last little rise to the summit. When we got there, I was so glad I had taken her. She quickly climbed up onto the head of the lion, of the lion and the lamb fame and was loving every second, despite the midges.
She wanted to explore every nook and cranny on the summit. We quickly walked to the 'fake' summit and then on to the base of the Howitzer.
We sat and contemplated the Howitzer whilst we had a little bit to eat and some water. She had a little go at climbing it and got about half way. I was impressed! I had a look at the back of the rock formation and tried to remember the route up it, that I had seen on the internet.

So........how do you get up it?

After a few different attempts, I we from the left side of that picture and after some pretty ropey moves I made it too the top.
Time for a celebratory photo, with a swarm of midges in the face!

Suck it AW!

I had managed to get to the top of the only Fell Wainwright never managed in the glorious sunshine, with my new best friend. 'Does life get any better than this?' I thought.
Then I remembered I had to get down again. There were a few hairy bits, but I made it down in the end. A few more photo's and we headed off for Gibson Knott.

The Howitzer from 'fake' summit

The Lion and the Lamb

We made the short trudge onto the summit of Gibson Knott and looked back where we had come from.
I gave some quick directions to some folks who seemed to be doing the coast to coast and we sat and had some water.

Helm Crag from summit of Gibson Knott

I was led on my back on the grass, with my eyes closed listening to the birds in the sunshine. Glorious!
A quick look at my phone showed that we had made good time and my friend seemed fine, so I asked her if she fancied going on to another summit.

Steel Fell

The walk to Calf Crag was a fair way and then there was another fair old walk onto Steel Fell and then down. I suggested it to her and she was up for it, so off we went.
The walk between Gibson Knott and the summit of Calf Crag was well pathed, but it is a deceptively long way. At least it seemed to be. A few ups and downs between, but nothing serious.
We turned off to the ridge on towards Steel fell. There were a number of lovely little tarns on this ridge, Due to this the ground could be boggy underfoot as well, but we made good time and hit the summit of Steel fell.
We saw a Hawker Hurricane and then a short while later a Eurofighter. This day had everything!

Back from whence we came - Helm Crag from summit of Steel Fell

We headed down the band and back along the lanes to Grasmere and the car, with its funky new system of parking, which relies on number plate recognition to work out your length of stay and charge you accordingly. Very cool.

An alltogether glorious day on the Fells and the best possible introduction to the Lakes I could have asked for my friend. Marvelous! I'm sure AW would be smilling down at me and maybe even cracked a smile at such a day. Though i'm sure he would have slightly resented me for gaining the summit of the Howitzer.
Last edited by Ibex on Wed May 06, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Taking Her Up The Howitzer! (Greenburn Round)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 06, 2015 3:29 pm

The Greenburn round is a great walk and a fine introduction to the Lakes, It is a great feeling to get to the top of the Howitzer, not so good when you've got to get down :lol: looks like you climbed it from a completely different place to me, I went up the right and side, lots of footholds that you can't see till your on top of them.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby nigheandonn » Wed May 06, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm impressed that you got up there, and even more impressed that you did it in the future ;)
Looks like you had a lovely day for it - it was quite hazy when I was up, but the views were still good.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Ibex » Wed May 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Whoops, didn't select the date. Sorted now!
It was a good little climb up the Howitzer. Though I think I might have pioneered a new route up it.

We had an incredible day for it. Hope the weather is nearly as good when I go back up there tomorrow.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby trailmasher » Thu May 07, 2015 10:57 am

Good report and photos of a great circular walk. And well done to 'my best friend'.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby AJNicholls » Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Good stuff dude. Cracking views!

AJ
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland