walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A morning up Drumaldrace

A morning up Drumaldrace

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:06 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Drumaldrace

Date walked: 04/05/2015

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 370m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a nice weekend away In Hawes and the Dales, I had a few hours free before the drive down south to fit in my first Hewitt, Drumaldrace. Starting from Hawes I took a leisurely pace along the Pennine way to Gayle, a nice wee village on a picturesque river.
Gayle.jpg
Gayle

After a few years walking in mostly in Scotland it was good to see the Dales and their distinctive landscape. Living in southern England for the last two years has given me the urge for some hill walking, which Drumaldrace was satisfying. I walked though some interesting little field systems with each one having a stone built barn and small footpath gates through the lovely stone walls.
Fields in Dales.jpg
Looking back at fields outside Hawes and Gayle

Further up I encountered steeper slopes and plenty more sheep and lambs. The path tracks a small stream with some Ash and Larch growing next to it before cutting diagonally south-east up steep slopes, again through field walls to more open moorland. Passing plenty of 'shake holes' as I learnt from the map, (with some trepidation as I kept on remembering that 999 lifesavers programme where a boy falls into a cavernous pit in the Dales or somewhere near), I got round to the north of Drumaldrace before spotting a good place to go over the heather towards the summit.
Drumaldrace.jpg
Drumaldrace moorland

A quick look around at the summit and then I was off to find the old Roman road just near the cairn. It soon leads down to a bridleway that skirts the eastern side of Drumaldrace and back to the Wendsleydale side and the original path. I took the same way down, stopping for lamb 'cute-ratings' and stomped back to the car in no time.
Hawes church.jpg
Hawes from Pennine way

This was a great short walk through lovely and interesting scenery. A good choice when I didn't have too much time, (my girlfriend didn't particularly like the suggestion of a hill walk the day before...), and I managed to get down the M6 and home for the snooker final...!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland