walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Day 4 Of 5 - Rugby And High Rigg

Day 4 Of 5 - Rugby And High Rigg

Postby Ibex » Thu May 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Rigg

Date walked: 10/05/2015

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Link to Day 3 report > http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51944

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After two days of over 1000m of ascent I decided to have an easy day. In no way influenced by the fact that it was the second leg of the semi final for Bristol Rugby…..ahem. There were also some very high winds forecast for the day as well, apparently up to 90mph in the high fells.

I drove round to Ambleside after a bit of a lie in and bimbled about for a while. I went into Churchill's sports bar and had to wait till the end of the Preston North End game, before they put the rugby on for me.
Bristol managed to beat Rotherham and book their place in the final of the Championship play off.

All happy I headed North to see if I could park up and climb Blea Rigg and Tarn Crag, but there was a multitude of cyclists going through this area, due to there being some sort of bike ride going on, with over 2000 participants.
So I carried on North and thought about Binsey, when I suddenly came across St John’s in the Vale and High Rigg. I parked in the Legburthwaite car park and put the minimum of two hours on the car. I headed left across the bridge and then started to double back on myself and ascend the fell Northwards.
Everything started off pleasantly. My legs and knees loosened off and I was soon enjoying the gentle wander, and was day dreaming about what a great fell it would be to start fell running on, as it had some undulations and was mainly dry.

Once I got a little higher the winds suddenly kicked in and I was struggling to walk in a straight line. I trudged along and made it to the summit after around an hour of solid walking. There was a another group up there, who’s Lakeland Terrier was having great fun chasing the sheep. Once they got him back on the lead, the little guy looked so pleased with himself.

Tarn near Mart Crag

Instead of reversing my route, I carried on to the end of the fell and down to the little church, which also doubles as a youth centre. I mainly did this to take the circular walk which follows the fell around St Johns in the Vale, to keep myself out of the wind. This turned out to be a fair little walk in itself and I got back to my car with a single minute to spare on the ticket.
A fun little walk, even in the high winds, but I was glad to get back to the hostel for a shower and a few ales.

Sadly I got very few photo’s as my phones battery was very low. Most of them were awful as well.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland