walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Squelching round the Dodds

Squelching round the Dodds

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat May 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Hart Side, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 04/05/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 780m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The fells north of the Sticks pass have long since been ignored by me, not for any particular reason but with completion getting ever closer we had to get around to them sooner or later. The weather for the Bank Holiday weekend did not look promising a few days in advance but Mondays forecast improved steadily until a fair day was promised, save for it being somewhat blowy.

We parked at the aptly named High Row (alt. 412m) which gave us a good leg up for the day and set off along the single track road to Dowthwaitehead. Saturdays largely melted snow and Sundays rain had obviously had a big effect upon the rivers and lakes with Ullswater bursting at the seams, or should that be streams :? , promising wet boots for the day.

It was with some trepidation that we set off up Hart Side given it's reputation for boggy lower slopes but thankfully the initial climb is on a very well built path complete with drainage ditch. This soon ran out however and we squelched up the route of the public footpath ignoring the temptation of a direct ascent, before getting a fine wow moment when Helvellyn's Snow clad Eastern Corries came into view. From here we trudged up the reasonable gradient to the self proclaimed Birkett Fell and then the Wainwright top. The summit of Hart Side isn't exciting but it's fairly pleasant with some very fine views.

ImageDowthwaitehead by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOnto the soggy open fellside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGaining Height by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTussocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFar Eastern Fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBirkett Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We parted company on the way to Stybarrow Dodd with Nicola and Grace skirting Green Side's slopes while me and Hughie bagged the Hewitt. The top had a few cairns and a fine view of Helvellyn and Catstycam but little else of note. I'm really not sure this would maintain Hewitt status if some careful measurement took place as the descent to the col with Stybarrow was barely noticeable, certainly didn't seam like 30m.

ImageHellvelyn Range from Greenside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHartside looking like a Howgill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Stybarrow Dodd was steeper than it looked on the map but we soon arrived at a very dreary cold windswept summit and moved off quickly towards Watson's Dodd as there was precious little to hang around for. With our next target having virtually no re-ascent required it's separate fell status is questionable, but given the truly magnificent all encompassing view to the East I'm glad it's on the list.

ImageCold on Stybarrow Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Terrible Twins on Watson's Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

With the wind not showing any signs of dropping we set off up the easy gradient to Great Dodd hoping for an empty shelter and it was some relief that we were rewarded with somewhere to have a bite to eat out of the chilly blast.

As with Stybarrow Great Dodd summit was quickly bagged before, feeling increasingly cold, we lost height rapidly towards our final target of the day. On the way we took advantage of just about the only rocky eminence on these hills and had our coffee sheltered by Calfhow Pike. It's a shame one of the main heights doesn't have a fine little top like this rather than the dull grassy nothingness topped with a small cairn. Upon reaching Clough Head we found another dull grassy top but it's views are superb with very fine panoramas in just about every direction, a place to linger for a short while and drink it all in.

ImageBlinking freezing on Great Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCalfhow Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThirlmere with the Scafells beyond by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClough Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra from Clough Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWell earned sit down on Clough Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLakeland Sky by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Although this was the last fell of the day following eight miles of walking we still had best part of four miles to cover back to the car. The option of a direct descent towards Mariel Bridge was tempting but given how damp the ground was we settled for heading down the trod via White Pike.

ImageOn the way down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageVale of Keswick by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhite Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We soon reached the Old coach road, badly rutted thanks to it's legal requirement as a 4x4 playground :roll: but still a very easy stroll for the three miles back to the car. This may have been a fairly long walk by our standards but this must be the easiest country in the whole of the lakes with the miles and summits gobbled up with little effort. Only twenty left now with the end most definitely in sight :D

ImageDecrepid by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWolf Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra from the Old Coach Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Squelching round the Dodds

Postby Ibex » Sat May 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Marvelous photo's as always Anthony!
I have that walk to do soon too, so this has been very useful for me.

Just twenty to go. Aiming to finish this year?
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Sat May 16, 2015 5:51 pm

I thought you'd done that walk, and I thought I hadn't read about it, but I wasn't sure if I was just getting confused! Nice to see those hills again.

Wainwright's dividing lines sometimes seem to be more about area on the map than height - but it does make for some nice easy summits.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun May 17, 2015 9:30 am

Ibex wrote:Marvelous photo's as always Anthony!
I have that walk to do soon too, so this has been very useful for me.

Just twenty to go. Aiming to finish this year?

Cheers Ibex, we have a week booked in the summer that, if all goes to plan, will leave us with just Great End to do to complete.

nigheandonn wrote:I thought you'd done that walk, and I thought I hadn't read about it, but I wasn't sure if I was just getting confused! Nice to see those hills again.

Wainwright's dividing lines sometimes seem to be more about area on the map than height - but it does make for some nice easy summits.

No I'd have remembered :lol: I think AW often went off what the locals thought of as separate fells when viewed from the valley, certainly the case with Watson's Dodd.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 am

I went to AJ's completion on Great End. Hope it works out well for you bud.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby trailmasher » Sun May 17, 2015 8:36 pm

A good walk on a great day - better than mine was a few weeks ago, day that is :( - good report and the usual awesome photo's. Well done the four of you :clap: Only 20 left to do. What then Anthony :?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am

Ibex wrote:I went to AJ's completion on Great End. Hope it works out well for you bud.

Cheers mate

trailmasher wrote:A good walk on a great day - better than mine was a few weeks ago, day that is :( - good report and the usual awesome photo's. Well done the four of you :clap: Only 20 left to do. What then Anthony :?

Thanks, it was a canny day but still cold for the time of year, as for after the Wainwrights? Not sure, a bit more walking in the Dales and Scottish borders perhaps, not to mention the Cheviots that I've still to visit.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Lovely shots (as always) JK, a bit bloody chilly but those clouds really add to the photos :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 am

ChrisW wrote:Lovely shots (as always) JK, a bit bloody chilly but those clouds really add to the photos :wink:

Cheers Chris
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby stevesey » Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Another excellent report on route I'm looking at! Looking to string Clough head and Hart Side together to finish off the northern end of the ridge. Useful info on the soggy Hart Side route this time.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 am

stevesey wrote:Another excellent report on route I'm looking at! Looking to string Clough head and Hart Side together to finish off the northern end of the ridge. Useful info on the soggy Hart Side route this time.

Cheers, nice easy walk this one
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland