walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thailand Islands in the sun.

Thailand Islands in the sun.

Postby PauloUK77 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Date walked: 12/02/2003

Distance: 40 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During our winter months of 2003 I headed over to Thailand for a bit of an adventure.The first thing you can't help noticing on arriving at Bangkok airport is how hot it is.The hotel I stayed at in Bangkok had air conditioning so everytime i walked outside it was a shock.Even late at night it was like stepping into an oven.
I spent a few days exploring Bangkok taking in the sights in the old part of the city with all the Wats and Tuk tuks.
Then we headed south on a night train to a town called Trang this was an experience in itself,at every stop people would board the train to sell everything from fruit to beer.As you can imagine with the cheap prices we were all a little drunk come midnight.
The next stage of the journey was to head to the islands off the west coast of Thailand these were very attractive places indeed some totally untouched by tourism.Koh Hai stood out as it was very basic with one resturant where I ate crab everytime it was that cheap.There wasn't even a jetty to land on this island so we had to lift our luggage above out heads and jump into the sea to get on land.
The next stop was Koh Lanta which was another brilliant place,we explored a little inland on this island going into some caves and trekking through jungle,I also had an Elephant ride here which i found scary.The Elephant kept losing its temper due to being attacked by these very large flies and insisted on ripping small trees out of the ground to lash its stomach and the soles of my feet.
Then it was Phi Phi Island which was a beautiful island but had an abundance of tourists.There seemed to be lots of Scandanavians there with a lot of the nightclubs being owned by them.I managed to get bitten by a very large spider (Nephila) heading through jungle areas on this island.I'd walked through a line of it's web which was crossing the path and it dragged it from where it was hiding onto my leg.The bite hurt and left a mark for a few days but luckily they are not poisonous.
Phi Phi island got hit by the Tsunami about a year after my visit totally devastating the place.
From here we travelled back to mainland to Krabi the beaches and rock formations here are out of this world.Then it was back to the islands to Phuket and Koh Racha Yai.
Overall I really enjoyed my time in Thailand and didn't want to return home but all good things come to an end.
TT-10[1].gif

scan0003.jpg
One of the many Wats in Bangkok.

scan0004.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg
The coast at Krabi

scan0009.jpg
Canoeing aroung the coast at Krabi

scan0010.jpg
Sun setting at Koh Lanta

scan0011.jpg
Having a go at milking the rubber trees on Koh Lanta.

scan0012.jpg
Walking through the jungle.

scan0013.jpg
Phi Phi Island.

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0016.jpg
Landing on Koh Hai

scan0017.jpg

scan0018.jpg

scan0019.jpg
More time in the jungle.

scan0020.jpg

scan0021.jpg

scan0022.jpg
Busy streets of Bangkok.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland