walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First time scrambling

First time scrambling

Postby dwaugh » Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Tryfan

Date walked: 07/05/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 6.12 km

Ascent: 883m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought I'd finally have a go at a 'graded scramble', and I've always like the look of Tryfan's distinctive ridge.

The first bit of scrambling.

Begin climbing up the ridge once you get above 'Piccadilly circus', the guidebook said. Not sure if that was here, but there were a clear number of routes shooting directly up the ridge.

View down the Ogwen Valley, some colour returning to the hills after winter.

Dramatic views all around.

Getting high, getting exposed. Notice the guides below whipping out some rope! Grade II felt comfortable enough here without a rope. A few tricky bits with slippery wet rock, but otherwise easy enough.

The Glyders.

Window in a cloud.

I skirted around sinister gully to find this easier route up onto bristly ridge, I didn't fancy having to reverse sinister gully itself incase I got a bit out of my depth further up.

Looking back to Tryfan from Bristly ridge. I was well and truly alone on Bristly - so the scrambling and route finding felt much more difficult that Tryfan. I had the fear about not being able to continue.

The blocky summit of Glyder Fach

Mizzle rolling in - time to get off the hill. Not before getting soaked in a downpour. This photo shows Bristly Ridge from Y Gribin, you can see the pinnacles including 'Great Pinnacle Gap'.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dwaugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:224
Wainwrights:132   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland