walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - MrsW & a Porcupine on the Plain of Six Glaciers

Canada - MrsW & a Porcupine on the Plain of Six Glaciers

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Date walked: 05/06/2015

Time taken: 5

Distance: 15.9 km

Ascent: 395m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had been in Canada for just a couple of weeks when we first decided to hike the 'Plain of Six Glaciers' from Lake Louise. We only made it about half way when Sarah was hit hard by the altitude and we returned to the hotel. I returned to the hike soon after and completed it but Sarah never got the time to do so until today. It was a friday off work for Sarah and with the sun beating down we thought we would go back to Lake Louise and have another shot at this hike.

It was very different to our first attempt with hundreds of tourists flocking to the area,but we still considered ourselves lucky because in a few weeks there will be thousands of them per day. All of the car parks were heaving and we had to go to the very furthest point of the very last one to find some space but eventually we were parked, booted and down on the lakeshore ready to set out once more.

Living here means seeing the spectacular every day but even so the opening shot of lake louise remains a stunner and shows why people travel from all over the world to see it. To the left of shot is Fairview mountain and at the very back is Mt Victoria and the Victoria Glacier where we are heading today.

Along the lake shore is a wide flat tourist walk that goes the length of the lake, on the opposite side we can now see Haddo Peak and Mt Aberdeen as well as the glacier capped top of Mt Lefroy

We cover the 2.5 km along the lake as fast as possible dodging the thronging masses of tourists who stop frequently to oooh and aaaah at the surrounding beauty. Looking back across the lake the Fairmont Lake Louise Hotel dominates the centre frame, behind that is the Lake Louise Ski village. Here the trail becomes more enjoyable and begins to narrow to a less prescribed footpath.

The trail twists around the base of 'The Devils Thumb' where we see plenty of climbers testing their abilities against the sheer rock face. A short boardwalk across fish filled shallows is followed by a forested trail which reaches a short steep climb up to the first level where rice krispy squares are "needed" before continuing.

Snack time over we continue along the almost level trail interspersed with forest and huge areas of bearberry bushes, this sets the tone for the hike which has stepped increases along the route with long bands of level walking between.

looking back from a patch of those bearberries we have put good distance between us and the hotel. Given the amount of berry bushes and the lack of preparedness of the tourists (no bear spray etc) it's easy to see why the conservation officers often close the hike in the autumn when the fruits are available, there no room to pass a hungry bear here.

further on the route changes to glacier scraped moraines devoid of vegetation, it also hangs to the rock wall at this time of year. In winter the rock wall is covered by ice and snow so the trail drops down to the moraine and snowshoes are needed until the spring melt.

We decided to climb off the trail and sit on the rock wall for more snacks (we started out late today) During this break Mt Lefroy repeatedly let out huge 'booming' noises followed by long ice and snow falls which poured down the mountain clattering rocks all along the way. There is actually one of those falls caught here though the best of it has already fallen by the time I got a shot of it.

After lunch we continued on, looking back from the rock wall trail there are few tourists following us though we did meet a good number of flip flop wearing tourists descending the hill looking 'dishevelled'

A level plod after the wall brings us to a short rise which culminates against an avalanche slope which is still resisting the warm temperatures we've been enjoying for more than a month now

The snow on the avalanche slope is well compressed but very wet and slippery and it provides some entertainment watching the flip flop wearers slip and slide before falling repeatedly and cursing the snow (not their choice of footwear)

Once over the avalanche slope the trail hits a short series of switchbacks where these golden mantled ground squirrels will happily take any offerings as you pass

If you don't feed the little guys on the trail their friends will be waiting at the top when you stop to make use of the well positioned benches around the tea shop, Sarah made a friend for life by sharing a few veggies and pasta from her lunch.

We were surprised to find the tea shop open which is normally an end of June/early July thing, I guess a lot of other people were equally surprised as we all had our own lunches and flasks and the tea shop remained largely empty. It's testament to the recent weather and gentle winter we've had that this thing is open a month early.

We sit and enjoy the views for 20 minutes or so and see some huge ice falls from the Victoria Glacier which were accompanied by equally huge 'booms'

After soaking in the afternoon sun watching the ice falls and listening to the myriad of foreign languages spoken by passing tourists we set out for the hike out. From the switchbacks we can just see the hotel at the eastern end of the lake.

I was just 5 seconds early with this shot of the ill prepared tourists as the big guy in yellow leading the pack splatted down in the snow immediately after. The afternoon sun seems to have encouraged more people to make the hike most of which were lured by the foreshortened view of the Victoria Glacier from down by the lake and were asking every downward heading hiker "are we almost there"..."it looked much closer from the lake"

Once we were back over the avalanche slope we had stopped to admire the beautiful view back down to the lake when Sarah noticed something moving away to the left on top of the rock slopes hugging the side of the cliff

At first and from a distance it looked like a marmot curled up in a tight ball, but it was actually a porcupine with his back to us. This is the first chance I've had to shoot one of these in Canada but he didn't stay long before disappearing over a ridge into the rocks

I scrambled back up the boulder slope quickly to try and get some decent shots and found him sneaking alongside some bearberries, I walked around him to the front and got another shot where he appears to be giving me a little wave as he walks along.

It was worth the trip to see this little fellow out in the wild, we have seen them in Alaska where we only spent 2 weeks, and in Oklahoma where we only spent a year, but it took 3 years to bag our first porcupine in Canada

The final walk around the lakeshore is once again full of tourists 'ooohing and aaahing' at the surroundings and we discuss how fortunate we are to have such a place on our doorstep.

So, that's the plain of six glaciers....again. I think I prefer the winter walk, for entirely selfish reasons...it is a wonderful place to have all to yourself and it's just a little bit too crowded for my liking at this time of year. I wouldn't even think of coming in the summer.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - MrsW & a Porcupine on the Plain of Six Glaciers

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Another great report and photo's Chris. :clap: The colour of the water is amazing and nothing like at Blackpool beach. You seem to be on a lucky streak lately regarding seeing and recording the local wildlife. Good do on your part getting Sarah up there on her 2nd attempt :D .
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:46 pm

I swear not a single of these pics is real. You just post these to make us all jealous, but you fabricate them in photoshop, or some other fancy software :(

Come on, confess!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:08 am

trailmasher wrote:Another great report and photo's Chris. :clap: The colour of the water is amazing and nothing like at Blackpool beach. You seem to be on a lucky streak lately regarding seeing and recording the local wildlife. Good do on your part getting Sarah up there on her 2nd attempt :D .

Cheers Trailmasher, Blackpool it isn't....though I do like a bit of Blackpool illuminations in the cold :wink: Got lucky with wildlife again today when Sarah and I spotted a moose while out walking in local woodland, it distracted her from her "achy legs" :lol: :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:I swear not a single of these pics is real. You just post these to make us all jealous, but you fabricate them in photoshop, or some other fancy software :(

Come on, confess!!!

I wish I was capable of making something so nice in photoshop, alas it's all real Altenacker....I have to look at it all the time, every day...it's torment but I manage....:lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:16 pm

I wonder, what do Canadians add to this lake to make it so turquoise??? :lol: So different from the dark water of Loch Ness...

I'm not jealous in the slightest. :oops: No, I'm not...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby sross » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Chris, as always amazing photos. You capture so much of what is iconic about Canada and in particular the Rockies.

Re BP's question:
I wonder, what do Canadians add to this lake to make it so turquoise??? :lol: So different from the dark water of Loch Ness...

:D BP,
it is the tears of the 100's of thousands of Toronto Maple Leaf hockey fans (their colours are blue and white), as they lament yet another hockey season come and gone and the Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup, or made it past the first round of play-offs.

Seriously here is a non-technical explanation.........
The Stoney Indians used to call it "Lake of the Little Fishes". Railroad surveyor Tom Wilson was the first white man to discover the lake in 1882 and named it Emerald Lake. Two years later the name was changed to Lake Louise in honour of Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, wife of the Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883, and the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.

Undeniably the most photographed sight in Canadian Rockies, the lake is two kilometers long, less than half kilometer wide and 70 metres at its maximum depth. Lake Louise's unique turquoise colour water is created by the glaciers at the head of the valley. The movement of glacial ice continually grinding away the bedrock creates rock flour (silt). This fine silt drains into the lake and much of the silt is suspended in the water. When the sun strikes the water, these particles absorb all the spectrum of colours except green and blue.

Cheers
Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Not a surprise that's its a honey pot, must be just about the most iconic place in Canada. Quite funny how many numpties were attempting to walk up through the snow in less than suitable footwear. :lol:
The porcupine must have been a real bonus, fascinating looking beastie.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby sross » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Not a surprise that's its a honey pot, must be just about the most iconic place in Canada.

They are fascinating to watch. We have plenty of these around in our pine forests outside of the towns/cities,, we know for sure that we have at least one that lives in our backyard and the surrounding area (we caught him on the trail cam, along with the raccoons, foxes and wild turkeys). Happy to share the porkies. Usually, people dislike them because if they let their dog off-lead, then these beasts are like a magnate to all things canine and their barbed quills end up on dog's faces and in dog's mouths etc.
sross
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Pictures of the torquise lake are truly stunning
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:02 am

BlackPanther wrote:I wonder, what do Canadians add to this lake to make it so turquoise??? :lol: So different from the dark water of Loch Ness... I'm not jealous in the slightest. :oops: No, I'm not...

A couple of years ago my mother in law wouldn't accept that I hadn't 'doctored' photo's of Peyto Lake...I googled it and showed her the first few hundred pics all the same colour....she thought I'd done that also.....she is not a smart woman :lol: :lol:

sross wrote:Chris, as always amazing photos. You capture so much of what is iconic about Canada and in particular the Rockies.

Re BP's question:

:D BP,
it is the tears of the 100's of thousands of Toronto Maple Leaf hockey fans (their colours are blue and white), as they lament yet another hockey season come and gone and the Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup, or made it past the first round of play-offs.

Seriously here is a non-technical explanation.........
The Stoney Indians used to call it "Lake of the Little Fishes". Railroad surveyor Tom Wilson was the first white man to discover the lake in 1882 and named it Emerald Lake. Two years later the name was changed to Lake Louise in honour of Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, wife of the Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883, and the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.

Undeniably the most photographed sight in Canadian Rockies, the lake is two kilometers long, less than half kilometer wide and 70 metres at its maximum depth. Lake Louise's unique turquoise colour water is created by the glaciers at the head of the valley. The movement of glacial ice continually grinding away the bedrock creates rock flour (silt). This fine silt drains into the lake and much of the silt is suspended in the water. When the sun strikes the water, these particles absorb all the spectrum of colours except green and blue.

Cheers
Sparky

Thanks for your kind comments Sparky,
I cheered on the flames this year....until the ducks did em :roll: As for Lake Louise I thought Tom Wilson wanted a name change after he discovered Emerald Lake and thought it more worthy of the name, after seeing both I'd agree :wink:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Not a surprise that's its a honey pot, must be just about the most iconic place in Canada. Quite funny how many numpties were attempting to walk up through the snow in less than suitable footwear. :lol:

Not my usual thing JK but the mrs is more for the steadier hikes...which tend to be tourist trails, turned out to be well worth it though capturing a porcupine at last :D

sross wrote:Usually, people dislike them because if they let their dog off-lead, then these beasts are like a magnate to all things canine and t

I googled 'dog v porcupine' and looked at the images :shock: :shock:

gammy leg walker wrote:Pictures of the torquise lake are truly stunning

Cheers Gammy :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby sross » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:16 am

I googled 'dog v porcupine' and looked at the images :shock: :shock:

They look like mutant hedgehogs:-), there is nothing like removing quills with pliers, whilst avoiding being bitten. :thumbdown:
sross
Mountaineer

Postby scoob999 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:35 pm

We went up to Lake Louise after we left you and to be honest, it's a stunning area but I couldn't wait to leave because of all the tourists :shock: But if we'd known that this hike was there we might have kept going - if we hadn't been so short on time too! I think you're right and a winter visit might be more pleasing :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:27 pm

scoob999 wrote:We went up to Lake Louise after we left you and to be honest, it's a stunning area but I couldn't wait to leave because of all the tourists :shock: But if we'd known that this hike was there we might have kept going - if we hadn't been so short on time too! I think you're right and a winter visit might be more pleasing :lol:

Yeah, i did it in winter and really ennjoyed it mate, but this time of year its off limits really :( but theres plenty more the tourists never see :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I swear not a single of these pics is real. You just post these to make us all jealous, but you fabricate them in photoshop, or some other fancy software :(

Come on, confess!!!

I wish I was capable of making something so nice in photoshop, alas it's all real Altenacker....I have to look at it all the time, every day...it's torment but I manage....:lol: :lol:[/quote]

:mrgreen:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland