walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Central Fells circuit.

A Central Fells circuit.

Postby mamoset » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Armboth Fell, Bleaberry Fell, High Seat, High Tove, Walla Crag

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 720m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With a number of ideas for Saturday, I ummed and ahhed on the drive over wondering where would be best. With Helvellyn shrouded in cloud, I decided to bin any high top routes and plumped for an area I hadn't been for a number of years, the dreaded Central Fells. I parked at the bottom of the Watendlath road and was on my way by 07:10. An easy stroll up to Ashness Bridge for the obligatory photo, before the next photo opportunity, Surprise View was visited.
IMG_7122.JPG
Ashness Bridge.
IMG_7129.JPG
Surprise view.
After that, I took the path beside Watendlath Beck before arriving at Watendlath Farm.
IMG_7136.JPG
Along Watendlath Beck.
IMG_7144.JPG
Watendlath Tarn.
From here, it is straight up the fell until you reach High Tove.
IMG_7150.JPG
High Tove.
Though a little boggy under foot, it was nothing like I have seen described, even in Summer, over the years. Not much to stop for, so I headed straight on over to Armboth Fell. Anyone who has been here, surely has the same thought of "Why?", but only Wainwright himself could answer that.
IMG_7153.JPG
Armboth Fell.
IMG_7162.JPG
The Dodds.
IMG_7154.JPG
Looking to Ullscarf.
Anyway, decided to go cross country from here as the ground wasn't so bad, and made for Eddy Grave Stake below High Seat, then followed the path up to the high point of the day, at 608m, High Seat.
IMG_7157.JPG
Raven Crag & Blencathra.
IMG_7170.JPG
High Seat.
Had a bite to eat here, before making the easy amble over to Bleaberry Fell.
IMG_7172.JPG
The way ahead.
IMG_7183.JPG
Bleaberry Fell.
Having seen only 1 person so far, from here onwards, the area came alive with hordes of people about.
IMG_7185.JPG
Blencathra & Clough Head.
IMG_7189.JPG
Derwent & Bassenthwaite.
The views over the Vale of Keswick and over to Blencathra are quite impressive from here, so I loitered a while before descending on the fine footpath to Walla Crag.
IMG_7207.JPG
Walla Crag.
IMG_7193.JPG
NW Fells across Derwent Water.
IMG_7205.JPG
Plenty of fells on view.
Similar views were taken in here, then took the footpath in the woods to Cat Gill.
IMG_7208.JPG
Skiddaw.
IMG_7211.JPG
Derwent's islands.
IMG_7219.JPG
Back to Bleaberry Fell.
IMG_7220.JPG
The fern is coming!!!
An easy descent took me down to the road and back to the car. Though these fells are not the most majestic, I enjoyed re-visiting them, a good alternative when the higher tops are covered in cloud :thumbup:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A Central Fells circuit.

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:29 pm

The dreaded Central Fells, and why indeed :crazy: . Done 'em many times but keep going back usually for the reason that you did on this visit. At least one can stretch the legs on this walk :). Good report, well done. :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:47 am

Why you say....well with those pics I would say why not :wink: looks like a nice hike far from the madding crowd, unless you've made it look much better than it actually is :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:23 am

trailmasher wrote:The dreaded Central Fells, and why indeed :crazy: . Done 'em many times but keep going back usually for the reason that you did on this visit. At least one can stretch the legs on this walk :). Good report, well done. :clap:

Thanks masher :)
ChrisW wrote:Why you say....well with those pics I would say why not :wink: looks like a nice hike far from the madding crowd, unless you've made it look much better than it actually is :lol:
It's fair to say Chris, around High Tove and Armboth it's usually fairly quiet :shock: , though you do get a decent view of your surroundings :)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:15 pm

As Chris says: far from the madding crowd! Looks like a pretty fine walk to me, and some nice pics there :clap: :clap: . On the list of possibles now.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davegreg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:58 am

Amazing! I love the green world. I always feel happy when enjoying pictures of nature.
davegreg

Postby mamoset » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Alteknacker wrote:As Chris says: far from the madding crowd! Looks like a pretty fine walk to me, and some nice pics there :clap: :clap: . On the list of possibles now.

Looking at your Starav walk Alte, this one may be just a little leg warmer :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby mamoset » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 pm

davegreg wrote:Amazing! I love the green world. I always feel happy when enjoying pictures of nature.

Aye, summers here dave, keep smiling :D 8)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:43 pm

It all looks lovely - greener than when I was there.
It was only between High Tove and High Seat that I got bogged down, so maybe cross country was the way to go - or maybe it's dried out even more in the last month!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Great views from those hills, mamoset. I did once sink to my waist between High Seat and High Tove, though. Well done on the direct ascent of High Tove; that's still on my 'to do' list.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland