walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Party Crashers

The Party Crashers

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:42 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Windy Gyle

Date walked: 17/06/2015

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 525m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is only one thing for it when your birthday falls on your day off, and that's climb a hill. The days of being excited by a birthday are long gone, even the days of getting drunker than a lord are in the past (by in large) so healthy exertion and fresh air was to be the chosen activity to celebrate the start of my 44th year on Planet earth.

Unfortunately the weather hadn't got the memo. :( The western half of Northern England looked wetter and windier than an otters pocket in a storm and with the East scarcely any better, my desire to go for a walk was to be tested but as my resolve strengthened so the forecast improved. I arrived at the small parking area close to Barrowburn to climb the genteel grassy slopes of Windy Gyle on what was shaping up to be a fine day.

This was to be the first time walking in the Cheviot hills and I had a little chat with a few regulars at the car park before setting off up The Street (an old drove road) with hopes high for a grand day out. :D

ImageHeading off up the Street by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAway from it all by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards Rowhope Farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCheviot Stile by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The Street turned out to be an excellent choice as going was very good underfoot leaving me to enjoy the openness all around me. Following an initial ascent the way levelled at around 400m for a gentle rollercoaster as I made my way towards the border ridge. During a photo stop I did notice somebody was following and soon noticed it was a party of around four. I thought little of it and continued through a brief light shower and the refreshing winds up towards a meeting with the Pennine Way.

ImageThe Border ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhich way now? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Just as I reached the Border Ridge I noticed a large and noisy group coming over the Mozie Law. I must admit to being somewhat dismayed but hey ho it's a free country. I quickened my pace as I turned onto the Pennine way, which wasn't a patch on the Street with it's understandable erosion, to attempt to give me as much time as I could on Windy Gyle before they arrived.

At one point it was evident that the two groups knew each other :roll: and had joined forces making quite a number following me, I pushed on up the final pull to my target for the day and following a visit to the huge prehistoric cairn complete with shelter I settled down in the smaller shelter, leaving the larger one for the large group, as you would.

ImageFenced off by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEildon Hills in line for a shower by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Rowhope Burn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEh? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrossing the border by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWindy Gyle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTrig on Windy Gyle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie Checks it out by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I made myself comfortable in the shelter and settled down to eat, enjoy my coffee and ruminate on the vast open tracts of not a lot ahead of me. This was, I must admit a fine birthday party with just me and Hughie present; the song of the Skylark, the sound of the wind and the calls of Curlew providing a wonderful soundtrack. I quite forgot about anybody else as I slipped into that wonderful relaxed state of mind only places like this can induce, Ah bliss :D

The tromping of heavy boots alerted me to the fact the group had reached me but I was surprised to see a squaddie (how had I not noticed before?) and remembered the red flags back at the parking area. Any hopes of the route march continuing past me were dashed as he plonked his pack down right next to my shelter, said hello and set about unpacking rations. The feelings of being made slightly uncomfortable by this intrusion were quickly forgotten as squaddie number two turned up, complete with ghettoblaster blasting out some hippity hoppity nonsense. I stared at my sandwich in utter dismay, my previous reverie destroyed totally. I considered asking them to turn off the music but with the resulting atmosphere of such a request no doubt making my presence untenable I kept my mouth shut. Another "party banger" :roll: started up as the hordes arrived stirring me into action as I stuffed my things into my pack and slunk off down the hill feeling dejected and somewhat hard done by. :(

ImageThe Cheviot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWide open spaces by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I trudged down the hill, grumbling away to myself, before finding somewhere to sit and finish my bait. The view wasn't a patch on the summit and I soon finished and headed off again. The remainder of the walk was fortunately without incident as HM finest were either continuing their disco or marching onwards along the ridge. The country grew more Sylvain and beautiful as I got lower with the grazing pastures being quite idyllic. The wonderful peace and tranquillity cheered me up no end and by the time the farm at Trows appeared I was quite sad the walk would soon be over.

ImageGreen and pleasant land by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSheep heaven by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBack to the farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This is a lovely walk and I suspect on most days you'll only see a handful of people and all of them of a like mind. I will return to the Cheviots soon to recreate my summit lunch hopefully this time without interruption.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Party Crashers

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Happy 45th. If your party crashers looked anything like the lads we once met on Ingleborough in a blizzard, they would have been just as fed up as you....and they didn't choose to come. Good you were able to get away despite the unwanted company,
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Guinessman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:51 pm

shame your Cheviot debut was spoilt. I can honestly say that every time I've been up there its been on my own for hours.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:03 am

This had me laughing JK, having just had a birthday and just spent the day dodging a crowd who were determined to walk with me it struck a chord :lol: . It looks beautiful throughout and such a shame that the squaddies stamped all over the middle of it :roll: but ultimately it was only a break in the middle :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 am

Even squaddies need somewhere to eat their lunch! Shame about your peace, but it does sound like a lovely day otherwise.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Many Happy Returns!

I sympathise on the unexpected guests at the party. They could at least have brought you a drink.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Yes, Happy 44th Anthon :clap: y, and what a great way to spend it. Pity about the loud company but I'm sure the walk in total more than made up for the few minutes of stress :roll:.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Nice mix of guesses at this birthday - if your first year of life starts on your 0th birthday, I make it 43rd! :D
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Well, he'll be 45 some time. He can just carry my greetings forward a couple of years.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Sgurr wrote:Happy 45th. If your party crashers looked anything like the lads we once met on Ingleborough in a blizzard, they would have been just as fed up as you....and they didn't choose to come. Good you were able to get away despite the unwanted company,

I'm sure they didn't even realise they'd caused any upset at all to be honest. As for having a bad day, a nice stroll along the Pennine way on a fine day will be a canny day at the office if you're in the Army. Far better than getting shot at.

Guinessman wrote:shame your Cheviot debut was spoilt. I can honestly say that every time I've been up there its been on my own for hours.

It does strike me as a place of solitude normally. They didn't spoil the walk, just annoyed me for a few minutes.

ChrisW wrote:This had me laughing JK, having just had a birthday and just spent the day dodging a crowd who were determined to walk with me it struck a chord :lol: . It looks beautiful throughout and such a shame that the squaddies stamped all over the middle of it :roll: but ultimately it was only a break in the middle :wink:

Cheers Chris, it was still a very nice day out.

nigheandonn wrote:Even squaddies need somewhere to eat their lunch! Shame about your peace, but it does sound like a lovely day otherwise.

Very true, they don't have to listen to such horrendous music while eating however.

Mal Grey wrote:Many Happy Returns!

I sympathise on the unexpected guests at the party. They could at least have brought you a drink.

Indeed, a nice bottle of red would have been most appropriate :)

trailmasher wrote:Yes, Happy 44th Anthon :clap: y, and what a great way to spend it. Pity about the loud company but I'm sure the walk in total more than made up for the few minutes of stress :roll:.

Cheers mate, all forgotten about, wouldn't be too happy if it happened many more times.

nigheandonn wrote:Nice mix of guesses at this birthday - if your first year of life starts on your 0th birthday, I make it 43rd! :D

The right answer! :lol:

Sgurr wrote:Well, he'll be 45 some time. He can just carry my greetings forward a couple of years.

:lol: I will, thank you.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby OpenC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Just noticed this :)

This is one of my most local hills and in all the times I've been up it, I've never shared the summit with more than two or three quietly perspiring others (although I have been disturbed by Chinooks and the sounds of explosions from over the next ridge in the range). Shame for you, but at least you got the weather to see the place at its best :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:30 pm

OpenC wrote:Just noticed this :)

This is one of my most local hills and in all the times I've been up it, I've never shared the summit with more than two or three quietly perspiring others (although I have been disturbed by Chinooks and the sounds of explosions from over the next ridge in the range). Shame for you, but at least you got the weather to see the place at its best :)

It's one I'll certainly be re-visiting in the hope of some peace and quiet next time, such a lovely easy walk.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby OpenC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:29 pm

If you're heading back, you could (if you were feeling the need for a change) start further down at Wedder Leap / Barrowburn rather than Trows, and head up through the forest by way of Mid Hill and then up by Hazely Law. Makes it a longer day and an ascent of the other side of the ridge, but still easy and good. The downside is the couple of miles of road which end the day if you're making it a circular - there are ways to keep off it but they'd involve extra ascent of pathless and nameless little hills en route.

Lovely part of the Cheviots, though, and mercifully free of the bogginess which plagues the higher summits to the East.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby OpenC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Actually, what am I saying: you could come back down by Ward Law and along the Border Country Ride, which for some reason I've never done :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby MarkyMark10 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:17 pm

What a great way to spend your birthday!
Nice photos of a lovely part of the world :clap:
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland