walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Switzerland. Männlichen from Lauterbrunnen.

Switzerland. Männlichen from Lauterbrunnen.

Postby Doogie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Date walked: 23/07/2015

Time taken: 6

Ascent: 1526m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was all bit strange. I had not come to Switzerland looking to do any walking, it just happened. I had found the Jungfrau region by mistake last year and I loved every minute of it. So we decided to return again this year. It just happened that we were camped next to a couple who did some fell running and I just asked if there was any walking routes I might be able to do. Mannlichen was one I mentioned and it was met by the remark “Why would you want to do that, the first bit is in a wooded section and the second bit is you have to walk through the Avalanche fences, besides its very steep” That got me going, they did mention a couple of others but the Mannlichen route from Lauterbrunnen it was.

I set off at about 0845hrs walked through the village to the start point and off I went, the walk started off on a metalled section of road and was incredibly steep to start off, mind you that didn't change the whole way up. The attached pictures do not give a real idea about how steep it actually is. The metalled road soon gave way to a track leading out of the village and into the woods, the sign does say that this portion of the route should take about 1 hour 20, I personally managed it in 50 mins, but I love steaming up steep slopes. Some great views down into the valley on the way up.
IMG_2847.jpg

First stop is Wengen, where, if you want you can have a pint and quit, or like me just crack on with the next section. The sign states that you are at an altitude of 1276 Metres,
IMG_2881.jpg

thats a fair climb from the starting altitude of about 780 metres at Lauterbrunnen. The second section was much nicer with some excellent wooded sections to walk through.
IMG_2920.jpg

This is until you get above the tree line, where the Alpine meadows start and the views are excellent.
IMG_2969.jpg

Then its into the avalanche fences, now I would have thought that these would be a bit off putting, but I found them strangely fascinating as the path weaved in and out of them on the steep slope up.
IMG_3013.jpg
You even have to clamber through the avalanche fence.

Again the steepness was unrelenting and it was giving my legs a proper work out. From Wengen to Mannlichen it is supposed to be 4 Km but with a height rise of about 800m. Some going that was but I enjoyed every minute of it.

It is very strange getting to the top at 2342 Metres and seeing scores of people, some the age of your granny just milling about looking at you and asking you where you have just come from. The look on their faces is priceless as you point down the mountain.

This is where I had planned on finishing for the day, I was going to jump on the cable car and meet the wife back in Lauterbrunnen for a couple of beers, but a quick look at the map made me change my mind and I decided to have a half hour break for my lunch then extend my walk to take in the magnificent sights of the North face of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau as I walked on to Kleine Scheidegg.
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

This was a walk in the park as it has been designed so families can walk between the two points, don't let this put you off as there are sections you get to yourself and if you wish you can go off track and take in the other peaks all around you.
IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

From Kleine Scheidegg, you can, if you want go a myriad of different ways or jump on the mountain railway to go where you wish. I again decided to walk back down to Lauterbrunnen via Wengernalp Allmend & Wengen. All of this last section is on a nice wide path with some great sights, including, as I was getting back into Wengen a Red Kite, Magnificent.
IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

The thing I liked about walking in Switzerland is that you can make your route as you go, I loved the height range, if you get tired you can quit and get on a train or cable car, or if you wish you can have your wife carry your lunch and meet you on route by cable car or train.

But the one thing thing Scotland has over everything in Switzerland is Remoteness. I never truly felt alone at any point due to the ease of access for all abilities.

I also did Schilthorn 2970m from Lauterbrunnen and I will try to get a quick report of that walk as well.
Doogie

Munros:141   Corbetts:1
Islands:5

Re: Switzerland. Männlichen from Lauterbrunnen.

Postby dav2930 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Looks a stunning area despite all the development. Nice glimpse of the top of the Eiger Nordwand peeping out of the clouds - the stuff of (foolish) dreams! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Respect for tackling those slopes. I've looked down from the upper meadows at Kleine Scheidegg and they are steep
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 am

Wow, absolutely beautiful Doogie. I'm with you on the avalanche fences they have something about them that makes a weaving path through really quite enjoyable. All in all this looks stunning and extending to view the North Face of the Eiger looks like a good choice too...brilliant :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jaywizz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:54 am

Thank you for posting your report - took me back to the late '70s when we braved the crowds to stand on the summit. So busy I felt in danger of being pushed off (and it is steep!!!!!) We also walked up in great weather, good memories.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland