walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panama Pacific to Caribbean.

Panama Pacific to Caribbean.

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 am

Date walked: 21/12/2005

Distance: 70 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During the Christmas and new year period of 2005/2006 I headed to Panama for a spot of adventure travel.I knew little about this country apart from it has a canal running through it.After visiting Panama city and Miraflores Locks on the Panama canal we headed inland to Gatun Lake.This lake comprises most of the canal with only a few sections cut out from the mountains.During construction the french lost 20,000 lives to malaria until the Americans took over.
The next destination was Gamboa where we stayed at a six star hotel,the travel company had done well to include this place in its itinerary for two night as the price must be through the roof.
From here we began our journey down the Chagres river to spend time with tribes in the rainforest living eating and hunting with them.By now it was Christmas day,and the strangest way I'd ever celebrated the occasion.
From there we hit the Caribbean coast visiting Portobelo where pirates used to attack the Spanish and spending a few days on Isla Grande an unspoilt Caribbean island.
Then it was to Colon for an amazing train journey back to Panama City.Then it was what seemed like the longest road trip ever along the trans america highway to get to the eastern part of Panama visiting El Valley and then La Amistad national park.
Overall the whole trip was an amazing experience,seeing Spider monkeys,Howler monkeys Three toad Sloths and even Leaf cutter ants in their natural environment is something I will never forget.Its just a pity that I had a cheap APS camera as I couldn't zoom in.
PN-10[1].gif

scan0023.jpg

scan0024.jpg
Panama City skyline

scan0025.jpg
Bridge of the Americas

scan0026.jpg

scan0027.jpg
Spanish fort at Portobelo

scan0028.jpg
Spanish fort at Portobelo

scan0029.jpg

scan0030.jpg
They are not called rainforests for nothing.

scan0031.jpg
On Isla Grande Caribbean island.

scan0032.jpg

scan0033.jpg

scan0034.jpg

scan0035.jpg

scan0036.jpg
With the village elders.

scan0037.jpg
Panama City skyline from Hotel Las Vegas.

scan0039.jpg

scan0040.jpg

scan0041.jpg

scan0042.jpg

scan0043.jpg
El Valley a town built inside a volcanos caldera.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland