walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sharp Edge, Blencathra.

Sharp Edge, Blencathra.

Postby davgil » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 08/08/2015

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A video of my walk up Sharp Edge ridge to Blencathra in the Lake District.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8ldRow6fI
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Re: Sharp Edge, Blencathra.

Postby dav2930 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Great video. Would be very useful for anyone planning their first go at Sharp Edge as it gives a detailed sense of what it's like. Looked like ideal conditions for it too. Some of the other folk up there seemed to be struggling a bit! :shock:

I was disappointed, though, that you took the soft option to the right of the slab just above the end of the edge itself, instead of going straight up the slab! But then you were having to hold that camera-stick thing, so I suppose I ought to let you off. :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby 2213498 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:34 pm

davgil wrote:A video of my walk up Sharp Edge ridge to Blencathra in the Lake District.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8ldRow6fI

great video Have been up blencathra a few times but never sharp edge . made me nervous just watching

Munros:98   Corbetts:42
Fionas:21   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:10

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:06 pm

An excellent video, David. That's a superb ridge scramble, enhanced by the views of Scales Tarn. I was scrambling with two friends in the Lake District the same day, and it was their first attempt at Grade 1 routes:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55110
It would have been good if they could have seen you making a route of about equal standard look so easy, while holding your selfie stick!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:08 am

Really enjoyable video David, interesting use of voice and music to include descriptions and great quality video too, you must have one arm like popeye holding that thing out all the time :lol: I think you must be who this this thing is designed for https://hexoplus.com/

Aside from all that nonsense it looks a really nice enjoyable wee scramble, particularly in those conditions :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby davgil » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated, I'm glad you enjoyed the video!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland