walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Eiger

The Eiger

by mgmt! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Date walked: 29/07/2015

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Eiger

Postby Tinley » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks Mgmt!

I tried to PM you but it didn't work. Its sitting in my Outbox??
Tinley

Munros:74   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Wow, just wow. :clap: I feel like jelly reading your report, that's some serious stuff.

I remember being on a family holiday many years ago where we got the train up to Kleine Scheidegg. I was only about 10 at the time I think. We only walked around a bit and went up onto the Glacier at the base of the Eiger but I remember being completely in awe of the size and scale of everything - unlike anything I'd ever experienced. (I wanted to climb up a bit or get the train to the top of the Jungfrau but my Dad wouldn't let me :( Spoilsport ) but even from there it was incredible.

Not sure I'd ever have the balls to actually climb the thing!! :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm

started reading this a while back and have only now got round to finishing it :roll: very enjoyable read of a cracking trip - well done :thumbup: the sort of thing I'd like to be able to do but know that it's well outwith my abilities - still good to read about others doing it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Just re-read this for the umpteenth time, following a discussion with a friend about whether we should think about doing it.

Whether we do or no, this is such a splendid read that I thought it was worth giving it a bump in case any folk had missed it the first time around. For me, it's quite close to "Touching the Void" for gripping immediacy.

If you haven't read it, do: you won't be disappointed!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland