walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Eiger

The Eiger

by mgmt! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Date walked: 29/07/2015

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Eiger

Postby MilanBohac » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:18 am

Wow, that is quite an adventure! Great story and wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing! :clap: :thumbup:
MilanBohac
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 am

Fantastic adventure, and a gripping tale. I was getting vertigo sat at my computer, just thinking about those yawning, blank voids all around on the descent.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Well done great report, great pictures and great achievement 8)
Sunset tripper

Postby Nigels3011 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Great photos. I've done the Monch and the Jungfrau but we were concentrating on the 4000ers so have never attempted the Eiger.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Pretty exciting stuff. I avoided the Mittellegi because there were supposed to be 200m of fixed ropes . I loathe fixed ropes - I can climb those in a gym. I went up and down from the Monchjoch hut, over the two Eigerjochs and the South ridge - your descent route - but in perfect weather :) . There was no one else on the way up and it was a nice climb, but all the people doing your route descended with us, and someone knocked a stone down that whacked me on the back of the hand - a minor inconvenience by your standards :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby mgmt! » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:33 am

past my sell by date wrote:Pretty exciting stuff. I avoided the Mittellegi because there were supposed to be 200m of fixed ropes . I loathe fixed ropes - I can climb those in a gym. I went up and down from the Monchjoch hut, over the two Eigerjochs and the South ridge - your descent route - but in perfect weather :) . There was no one else on the way up and it was a nice climb, but all the people doing your route descended with us, and someone knocked a stone down that whacked me on the back of the hand - a minor inconvenience by your standards :lol:

My friend in the Lomond club soloed your route a few years ago. You don't need to use the fixed ropes if you don't want to, but isn't having a guide like being attached to a permenent fixed rope ??
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:16 am

mgmt wrote "My friend in the Lomond club soloed your route a few years ago. You don't need to use the fixed ropes if you don't want to, but isn't having a guide like being attached to a permenent fixed rope ??"

No - it's like being permanently belayed - you still have to do the climb. If you have to be pulled up everything it's far too slow and therefore dangerous - and also pointless. Starting in the Alps after I retired at the age of 58 I felt it would be sensible to use a guide - as anyway I had very few friends of my age with similar ambitions and free time
The only places I've had fixed ropes - Matterhorn and Dent du Geant - it's been quite difficult to avoid them
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby mgmt! » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:08 pm

past my sell by date wrote:mgmt wrote "My friend in the Lomond club soloed your route a few years ago. You don't need to use the fixed ropes if you don't want to, but isn't having a guide like being attached to a permenent fixed rope ??"

No - it's like being permanently belayed - you still have to do the climb. If you have to be pulled up everything it's far too slow and therefore dangerous - and also pointless. Starting in the Alps after I retired at the age of 58 I felt it would be sensible to use a guide - as anyway I had very few friends of my age with similar ambitions and free time
The only places I've had fixed ropes - Matterhorn and Dent du Geant - it's been quite difficult to avoid them

Your not being belayed, I've never seen a guided person lead a pitch . Your being led up a mountain attached to a rope for your safety. Take a look at the Austrian Alpine Club, thousands of members , I'm sure you would find lots of like minded people to climb with , save you a few bob too.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

mgmt! wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:mgmt wrote "My friend in the Lomond club soloed your route a few years ago. You don't need to use the fixed ropes if you don't want to, but isn't having a guide like being attached to a permenent fixed rope ??"

Your not being belayed, I've never seen a guided person lead a pitch . Your being led up a mountain attached to a rope for your safety. Take a look at the Austrian Alpine Club, thousands of members , I'm sure you would find lots of like minded people to climb with , save you a few bob too.

Not so
When we climbed on equipped rock (up to F6a)- we normally led through. what I would add is that if you want your guide to treat you as a "fellow mountaineer" rather than a "sack of coal" - you behave like one. In ten years I never fell off - well certainly not without warning. My position maybe unusual : I have no dependent relatives and am likely to run out of time before I run out of money. I still spend the entire season in Switzerland (though I don't climb the big peaks now ) and we only climbed in good weather. It's all horses for courses
Incidentally have you done the traverse of La Meije? I can thoroughly recommend it and I would have thought it would be up your street.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby mgmt! » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 pm

.[/quote]
Not so
When we climbed on equipped rock (up to F6a)- we normally led through. what I would add is that if you want your guide to treat you as a "fellow mountaineer" rather than a "sack of coal" - you behave like one. In ten years I never fell off - well certainly not without warning. My position maybe unusual : I have no dependent relatives and am likely to run out of time before I run out of money. I still spend the entire season in Switzerland (though I don't climb the big peaks now ) and we only climbed in good weather. It's all horses for courses
Incidentally have you done the traverse of La Meije? I can thoroughly recommend it and I would have thought it would be up your street.[/quote]

fair play to you, definitely an exception to the rule. La Meije, is on the list , couple of guys in my club did it this year and raved about it,
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Derek Thomas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Exciting dangerous adventurous stuff & much more for good measure! - I found myself hanging on very tight!
Yes, and I am envious but unsure if I'd have the bottle. Might also be a good few years too late!!
Hearty congratulations to all three of you for an awesome achievement and a dream made to come true :clap: :clap: :clap:
Derek Thomas
Mountaineer

Postby Ibex » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:51 pm

Absolutely awesome!
I'm currently reading 'The White Spider' so am a little enthralled with the Eiger at the moment.

Congratulations on summiting the beast.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Tinley » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:05 am

Tremendous report!!!

I've booked flights for next August to do this exact route :-)

What maps did you use? Osteggo is an honesty system eh?
Tinley

Munros:74   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 am

Tinley wrote:Tremendous report!!!

Information on Swiss Alpine Club huts is available at http://www.sac-cas.ch/en.html. To save buying too many maps, after selecting the hut (near the Eiger), click on "online map and literature and then on XL topo to bring up a map of the area . You can move around it using arrows, and also by scrolling transfer from the 1:50,000 to the more detailed 1:25000. You can't print directly but I use "printscreen"and then Photoshop. Be aware though that the lines are Ski routes not Walking ones! Also a lot of the glaciers shown are now sadly gone
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby mgmt! » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Tinley wrote:Tremendous report!!!

Thanks Tinley, yes its an honesty system, and has great facilities, you get the code for the hut from the sports shop in Grindlewald, i got the map in the store too, Jungfrau Region 2520, 1:25,000, cost 25chf, enjoy it , its a fantastic way to do this wonderful mountain.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland