walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The High Stile Ridge

The High Stile Ridge

Postby MarkyMark10 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Hewitts included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Date walked: 13/08/2015

Time taken: 7.5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our annual (wish it was more) trip to the Lakes led to the Matty and Will requesting some scrambling and a long ridge walk. The High Stile Ridge walk looked perfect for this especially as we hadn’t walked this area before.

We parked in the Gatesgarth Farm Car Park near Buttermere in glorious weather. Blue skies and clear summits. Perfect.
The initial climb was stunning with views of Haystacks, Fleetwith Pike and Buttermere itself, and also a clear view of the ridge of High Crag, High Stile and Red Pike to come.
Haystacks.jpg
Haystacks

Fleetwith Pike.jpg
Fleetwith Pike

First aim for the day was to reach Scarth Gap which lies between Haystacks and Seat. A tough haul up but gaining altitude quickly. At the crossroad on Scarth Gap we turn right for our scramble up Seat. This was fairly challenging due to the loose scree but the boys loved it and definitely an interesting way up Seat.
Seat Scramble.jpg
Steep Scramble to Seat

Maybe not that way.jpg
Maybe not that way

The view of High Crag from Seat makes it look a challenging and scree climb.
Seat to High Crag.jpg
Up there

However, the good zig zag path soon gains height although tough in the heat. There is some scree towards the top to finish the climb.
High Crag Scree.jpg
Path up HIgh Crag

Towards top of High Crag.jpg
Scree to the Summit

Obligatory Summit Shot
High Crag Summit.jpg
On Top of High Crag

Lunch on top of High Crag with glorious view of Ennerdale and the Scafells.
Ennerdale and Scafells.jpg
Scafells in the distance

Matty and Ennerdale.jpg
Beautiful View

Next objective is High Stile, highest point of the days climb at 2,644ft. Lovely walk in this weather over craggy ground and Eagle Crags overlooking Buttermere.
Towards High Stile 2.jpg
Towards High Stile

Towards high Stile.jpg
High Stile from the Crags

Views of High Stile.jpg
High Stile

The climb up the back of High Stile is quickly sorted for more views in fantastic weather.
High Stile Summit.jpg
Lads on High Stile

With the last peak of the day in Red Pike in sight , the boys didn’t like that we had to lose altitude climbing down crags to get off High Stile. However, once down it’s a pleasant walk up to the summit of Red Pike.
Red Pike.jpg
Views to Red Pike

Red Pike Summit.jpg
Tired but summit 3 of the day

The descent from Red Pike to Bleaberry Tarn was possibly the hardest part of the day. Very steep and loose rocks made this very slow going. Red dust getting everywhere. I kind of wished we had carried on to Starling Dodd and come down another way as it was so bad.
Red Pike Down.jpg
Some very steep dusty moments

Bleaberry Tarn was crystal clear and we spent time watching for fish.
Bleaberry Tarn.jpg
Crystal Clear

The path down to Buttermere was good but hard on tired legs. However, the stroll beside Buttermere back to Gatesgarth Farm raised spirits again, and what a fantastic days walking we had.
Buttermere.jpg
Beautiful Buttermere

Path Home.jpg
The Path back to Gatesgarth

Traditional Ice cream and pint of coke in Keswick before returning to the North East, tired and a bit sunburnt. What a day!

PS. All photos taken on my phone. Unfortunately, someone left the camera at home :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Re: The High Stile Ridge

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Some cracking shots Mark, your phone looks to have done a fine job :clap: I'm sure I can see us on Kirk fell :wink:
We did the round the other way and came down Red Pike, it is truly horrible.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:11 pm

A great ridge walk in a beautiful location with great pics and report on a family day out. Well done to all of you :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 am

Great to see a family out there loving it, these are the days they'll remember (it's always blue skies when you're a kid) I notice the lads are always out in front mate....who's leading the way here :lol: No need for the camera by the look of these shots, the phone did just fine :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarkyMark10 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:04 pm

I think I will zoom that picture in on Kirk Fell :wink: I think its amazing we were so close JohnKaysLeftLeg.

The boys certainly were leading the way. If anything I was slowing them down up High Crag. :lol:
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland