walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hatten

Hatten

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Date walked: 16/08/2002

Time taken: 4

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 820m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date is a guess but this was my first visit to Hatten. Actually a bit of a mistake as I'd hoped this would link easily onto the Tilthornet ridge beyond which is where I was really interested in going. No easy link though, or at least we didn't spend much time looking for a continuation.
The route up hairpins back and forth through birch wood I think before arriving at the 600m beallach. At that point we first investigated the narrow eastward continuation of the main ridge until it became too exposed looking for my liking:

Retracing our steps and heading for the higher west top was easy going until the last five metres which is steep rock all the way round the summit. We made use of a fixed rope as an aid to scrambling up to the top where, at last, we got great views west over Tilthornet and beyond:

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Hatten

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 pm

That narrow ascent to the lump in the first picture looks enticing :wink: , loving the Norway series :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Hatten

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:21 pm

ChrisW wrote:That narrow ascent to the lump in the first picture looks enticing :wink: , loving the Norway series :clap:

Well one of our number was pretty keen on going up there but it was me that put the brakes on, being the most cowardly / sensible. Still plenty of views and a bit of scrambling on the way to the main summit.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland