walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kebnekaise - Top of Sweden

Kebnekaise - Top of Sweden

Postby JohnJoe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Date walked: 26/08/2015

Time taken: 12

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1800m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a beast of a hill. At 2106 metres it isn’t that high, but 1800 metres of ascent over 20km in 12 hours is enough for me. And it’s a mission just to get there, deep in the Arctic Circle . From Stockholm we took two metros, one train, one plane, two buses and one boat - and we walked 13km - to the base camp at the bottom of Kebnekaise, Sweden’s highest mountain.

You can walk 19km to the base camp, or you can walk 13 and get the boat for 6.

ImageUntitled by john, on Flickr

Camping is free at the base station, but if you want to use the facilities (toilet, kitchen, showers etc….you have to pay 300 SEK (about 30 euros). Breakfast is another 10 euros but well worth it. I didn’t fancy sitting on the ground in my tent with brown rye biscuits and no hot drink in preparation for a 12 hour hike. Much better to get a good breakfast and lots of coffee and sugar! Yes I could have carried my stove, gas, food etc but I really couldn’t be bothered.

Base camp:

Facilities

The approach path is fairly easy going and we made good progress. In contrast to the blinding sunshine of the previous day, the clouds hung low in the valleys and visibility was poor. But this made for pleasant walking conditions. We were pouring with sweat even in our t-shirts, so I was glad it wasn’t hot.

There are four really steep sections where you climb about 300 metres very steeply. The rest of the path is steadily uphill. At one point you have to drop 200 metres only to go up again, which isn’t too bad on the way there but we were cursing it on the way back. Navigation is easy with red markers painted all the way to the top - or at least to the glacier, which just sort of lies on the top of the hill. We were stumbling around in pretty thick mist up near the top looking for the glacier and then it just appeared out of nowhere. It rose steeply and disappeared into the clouds very quickly. From the map we could see that there were sheer drops of several hundred metres off each side of it. I put my crampons on and slightly nervously set off for the last 50 metres up Kebnekaiser.

The best view we got all day:

A storm shelter (complete with door-less toilet) near the top:

They say you can see 10% of Sweden from the top on a clear day. We were in the middle of a thick cloud and saw nothing at all. There was just enough visibility to plant a tiny Swedish flag on the top, take a photo and turn back. Just as I was thinking it would be madness to come up here without crampons, two Swedes shouted up to us asking if we’d been to the top. “Yes" , we said,"but it’s a bit dangerous”, I added, seeing them sliding around on the ice in summer boots. Undeterred, they stuck their walking poles into the ice and heaved themselves up the glacier, sliding backwards all the time. But who are we foreigners to patronise Swedes about snow and ice? So we left them to it. And we saw them later on the way down, so they were fine.

The way back was a long slog, especially the last few km. The sauna, shower, and microwave meal back at basecamp were all welcome, but the 'Ship full of IPA' and Highland Park were the perfect end to a very long day.

This morning we heard that two guys are currently stuck near the top having got cold and sick, but the police can’t send the helicopter out because the weather’s too bad. Despite the poor visibility, we were lucky with the weather this week. I wouldn’t fancy being stuck up there in bad conditions.
Last edited by JohnJoe on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Kebnekaise - Top of Sweden

Postby dav2930 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Fascinating report on a mountain I've never thought about before. Congratulations on making it to the top. :clap:

Doesn't seem too clever slithering about on that glacier without crampons as those Swedes did. :crazy:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 am

Interesting stuff JJ, after all that effort its a bloody travesty that you were denied the views from the top. The locals skittering about on the glacier reminds me of Canadian locals here in the springtime trying to traverse packed snow in trainers :roll: Great to see hills in another part of the world ....even if you can't actually see em :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:34 pm

Nice report JJ and the pictures tell the story of a day in the clouds :( . A pity to travel so far and not be able to see the surrounding mountains etc but at least you achieved. Well done :clap: :clap: and a well deserved beer :D
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

A pity you didn't keep those nice blue skies but at least you got a couple of gaps in the cloud. Gets a good mention in Peter Lennon's Scandinavian Mountains too and I see Arnt Flatmo has a report on it: http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/Peaks/kebnekaise.html
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland