walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Carneddau

High Carneddau

Postby steviesea » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:48 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Pen yr Ole Wen

Date walked: 28/08/2015

Time taken: 7

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1070m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Because I only get a handful of chances a year to get to the hills I was praying for decent weather after my 2 Scottish outings (Blaven and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh) this year were marred by clag after 600-700 m. Thankfully , after a couple of brief downpours we were blessed with clear skies gifting us with awesome views.
We parked at the side of the A5 then across and up past Tal y Llyn Ogwen on the path up roughly following the Afon Lloer but kept looking back across to Tryfan and the Glyders
carneddau 011 (640x480).jpg

Once Cwm Lloer is reached the path takes you left up the east ridge of Pen yr Ole Wen
carneddau 016 (640x480).jpg
Across to Tryfan

carneddau 017 (640x480).jpg
zoomed

carneddau 020 (640x480).jpg
across Cwm Lloer to Carnedd Dafydd

There's some slight scrambling before reaching the summit
carneddau 023 (640x480).jpg

A trip southish is a must for views to the Glyders and down Nant Ffrancon
carneddau 024 (640x480).jpg
looking down Nant Ffrancon

carneddau 033 (640x456).jpg
spot the van

carneddau 031 (640x480).jpg

carneddau 032 (640x480).jpg

Back up to summit then along the ridge which stays above 3000ft for around 3 miles with the next summit being Carnedd Dafydd
carneddau 035 (640x480).jpg

then along the top of the Ysgolion Duon cliffs and eventually up to the highest point of the day Carnedd Llewellyn at1064m
carneddau 040 (640x480).jpg

carneddau 042 (640x480).jpg

carneddau 044 (640x480).jpg

carneddau 052 (640x480).jpg
Carnedd Dafydd from Carnedd Llewellyn

We could see most of northern Snowdonia from Llewellyn such were the clear skies but noticed that the clouds never did leave the top of Snowdon all day even tho its just 20 meters higher. Just down to your luck on the day I suppose. I bet it was rammed on there whereas we only saw about 6 people all day :D . From the summit it was roughly E then SE downthe ridge to Bwlch Eryl Farchog where instead of ascending Pen yr Helgi Du we baled out down to the Ffynnon Llugwy reservoir partly due to spending too much time gawping at the awesome views and partly due to lack of hill fitness living in boring flat Leicestershire.
carneddau 056 (640x480).jpg
cliffs down intoCwm Eigiau

carneddau 059 (640x480).jpg

carneddau 063 (640x480).jpg
across to Pen yr Helgi Du

carneddau 064 (640x480).jpg
Ffynnon Llugwy reservoir

carneddau 065 (640x480).jpg
path on the left

carneddau 067 (640x480).jpg

We descended down a zig zagged path that had a lot of work building retaining stone walls to stop erosion down along the shores of the ressie. Dont know where we went wrong but the path just seemed to stop at the bottom end of the reservoir. we could see the tarmac access road over to our left but could see Tryfan to the right and foolishly thought we knew better than the route we had researched :lol: This led to an energy sapping yomp through bogs and streams and more ascent trying to get out of a farmers private property across barb wire fences where at 1 stage my son nearly left more than a strip of trouser material hanging off the fence :shock: Still the views were stunning and overall a superbly enjoyable day.
carneddau 068 (640x480).jpg
sun rays onto Llyn Ogwen and into Cwm Idwal
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

Re: High Carneddau

Postby poppiesrara » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 am

Stunning views, Stevie, bravo!

(PS - I spend lots of time trying to convince people that Leics isn't that boring & flat! We could live in worse hillwalking counties... just!).
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Really glad you got the weather - the views from the Carneddau are truly fabulous!

Here's the same shot as you took, in both summer and winter...

008 resized.png

113020 resized.png

...and a wintery shot of Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) from the top of Pen-Yr-Ole-Wen.

Yr Wyddfa from Pen-yr-Ole-Wen.png
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:03 pm

Great stuff Stevie, stunning pics of a great day in the hills. Glad the weather played along, it's soul destroying to have only a short window in which to get out and find it hacking down on that particular day :roll:

Anyway, glad all was well even if you made the mistake we all make (more than once) of thinking, this route seems overly convoluted, lets go this way it's will be much easier :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby steviesea » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 pm

poppiesrara wrote:Stunning views, Stevie, bravo!

(PS - I spend lots of time trying to convince people that Leics isn't that boring & flat! We could live in worse hillwalking counties... just!).

Sorry poppiesrara, tell them not to listen to me. Of course there's worse hillwalking counties like.....er Lincs and er....Norfolk and ...... :? :lol:

Love the winter shots alteknacker thanks for posting them.

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Stevie, stunning pics of a great day in the hills. Glad the weather played along, it's soul destroying to have only a short window in which to get out and find it hacking down on that particular day :roll:

Anyway, glad all was well even if you made the mistake we all make (more than once) of thinking, this route seems overly convoluted, lets go this way it's will be much easier :lol: :lol:

Cheers Chris, yeah it was particularly soul destroying on Blaven in July having seen the views others have posted so was hugely relieved and happy with this walk. When you say (more than once) do you mean that I wont learn from my mistakes :shock: :shock: :shock: How do you know me so well :lol:
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland