walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fountains Fell (North/South) and Pen-y-ghent double

Fountains Fell (North/South) and Pen-y-ghent double

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Fountains Fell, Pen-y-ghent

Date walked: 06/09/2015

Time taken: 4.1

Distance: 23.1 km

Ascent: 1108m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A beautiful day in the Dales for a revisit to Fountains Fell as I missed the Southern Top on my first visit in bad weather.

Blue skies everywhere, sunshine but with a lovely cooling breeze.

Pen-y-ghent ahead.JPG
Pen-y-ghent from near Brackenbottom

Pen-y-ghent.JPG
Pen-y-ghent is a distinctive summit and has many fantastic angles to it. It was extremely popular today.

Upper part f pen-y-ghent.JPG
Upper part of the Pen-y-ghent south ridge (Pennine Way)

Trig.jpg
Trig Point on Pen-y-ghent with Eastern Yorkshire hills in view

Fountains Fell.JPG
Fountains Fell looks a fair way from here

Fountains Fell closer.JPG
I followed the Pennine Way back off Pen-y-ghent and down to the road towards Fountains Fell

Looking back at Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough from slopes of FF.JPG
Looking back at Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough beyond from the slopes of Fountains Fell

Follow the wall to the summit.JPG
You turn off the Pennine way and follow the wall to the main Fountains Fell summit (the Hewitt)

Fountains Fell looking to South Top.JPG
Cairn on Fountains Fell Summit looking over to the Southern Top (a Nuttall). There is surprisingly a way marked path between the two although the ground is quite wet and boggy.

South Top looking to Great Whernside.JPG
Small cairn on Southern Top looking East to Great Whernside

Fountains Fell Tarn.JPG
Fountains Fell Tarn with the North Top behind

Darnbrook Fell.JPG
Darnbrook Fell over to the East. It's very easy to link these two up by following the wall but I've done it once and Darnbrook doesn't have too much to recommend it so I skipped it today.

pen-y-ghent again.JPG
Back on the Pennine Way and descending back to the road with Pen-y-ghent ahead again

Pen-y-ghent yet again.JPG
Pen-y-ghent again getting closer. The day was beautiful so I decided to make it longer by again climbing the nose of the South Ridge to the top and follow the Pennine Way back into Horton.

Final section again.JPG
Final paved section to the Trig Point. Hoards of folk up there on both visits but I saw nobody on Fountains Fell.

Plover Hill.JPG
Plover Hill along the ridge

Descending.JPG
Descending on the Pennine Way with Ingleborough ahead

Looking back at Pen-y-ghent.JPG
One last look back at Pen-y-ghent
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland