walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ULDALE NORTHERN FELLS - 6 WAINWRIGHTS BACK OF SKIDDAW

ULDALE NORTHERN FELLS - 6 WAINWRIGHTS BACK OF SKIDDAW

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:26 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Knott, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Knott

Date walked: 23/06/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 733m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi again, this is last of the walks from the Lakes, in the Northern Fells, we parked at Longlands. There is a water autority (?) hut and a gate entrance for around 6 or so cars and the walk starts through said gate :D

uldale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were not heading straight up Longlands Fell as so many do but along the valley to a pass between two fells called Trusmadoor.
IMG_6004.jpg
Ahead to Trusmadoor and Meal/Great Cockup
We reached Trusmadoor and turned right and started the ascent of Great Cockup, there has been lots of mining in this area.
IMG_6012.jpg
Ascent of Cockup
IMG_6014.jpg
Summit of Great Cockup
We then retraced our steps and followed the less direct path up Meal Fell along the right hand side before turning direct to the summit.
IMG_6026.jpg
Climb to Meal Fell with Great Cockup behind
Its a very rock strewn top with some great views, a lovely area this with not many folks about :D
IMG_6029.jpg
Top of Meal Fell
IMG_6034.jpg
Meal with Great Sca Fell behind
It's then a dip and brisk grassy climb to the next top of Great Sca Fell
IMG_6048.jpg
Climb to Great Sca with Meal below and Binsey in the distance
When we crested the top it was a short walk to Great Sca Fell summit
IMG_6052.jpg
Great Sca Fell with Knott behind
From here it was a walk up to Knott
IMG_6061.jpg
Barren Knott summit at 710m
Back down the way we came and past Great Sca on to Little Sca Fell (Birkett)
IMG_6082.jpg
Little Sca Fell summit
From here it was an easy walk to Brae Fell, our 5th of the day :D
IMG_6097.jpg
Brae Fell summit with Knott on the skyline
We then had to descend right down the valley to cross Charleton Gill and up the east side of Longlands Fell, by now the sun was very hot :( We soon met the path to/from Lowthwaite Fell and reached the top.
IMG_6109.jpg
Brae Fell from near top of Longlands
IMG_6114.jpg
Binsey from Longlands
IMG_6118.jpg
Summit of Longlands, showing fells to the south
We started our descent home down the normal path but soon realised it would be quicker as the crow flies, it was very dry due to the good weather but I wouldn't go this way when its wet as the ground is very marshy :(
IMG_6128.jpg
View to Longlands from near to starting gate
We had a great day, no rain and made our total 16 for the week, HAPPY DAYS 8)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: ULDALE NORTHERN FELLS - 6 WAINWRIGHTS BACK OF SKIDDAW

Postby fedupofuserids » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:41 am

Some of my favourite fells those, only a stones throw away from where I live.

They are a complete contrast to your Causey Pike post; certainly no jagged pointy bits and grass more or less throughout, some people may consider them a bit boring. Personally I think they make a very pleasant relaxed walk with great views.
What did you think?

The lack of rain has certainly made the going a bit easier - in normal wet conditions a lot of the route turns into a bog trot !
fedupofuserids

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:58 am

You are very lucky to live close, its our first time in the area and although we drove through Longlands first time we really enjoyed the walk, only spoke to 3 people all day. I can believe in winter it is hard work, my husband sorts the routes and we went in summer for that reason. Its a change from the rocks and scrambles, especially when its the last walk of the week and legs are getting weary :lol: We still have Carrock, High Pike and Calva to do plus the Skiddaw bunch so hopefully we can knock some more off soon, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Well I'm only a stone's throw away as long as my caravan lasts (it's a 1975 one though so I shouldn't think too much longer really :( ) so you were lucky not to bump into me in Trusmadoor as I do Meal Fell and Great Cockup (walking distance from Ireby) quite a lot :lol: Lovely to see pics of the area though...
mountain coward

Postby fedupofuserids » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:25 am

Just down the road from your caravan. I'm 76 vintage and hope there's plenty of life left in me yet !
fedupofuserids

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 am

:lol: Yeah but I'm sure you were built to last! :D And if you mean you were born in 1976, you're just a young pup! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:02 am

Wouldn't know you if I saw you MC, although we are very friendly on the hill as I'm sure you are, if we cross paths we are bound to talk :lol: Perhaps we could get walkhighlands badges made for us all, we can then spot eachother easily, have to have a word with Paul :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:29 am

I always stop and chat to passing walkers if they're friendly :D

Anyway, for ID purposes... I'm long and lanky (6 foot tall), always untidily dressed with half my stuff tied round my middle :lol: - a bumbag instead of a rucksack (and my camera bag on my front if I remember to take it), and once had dark hair - although it's rapidly fading :(
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Will keep a lookout :roll: do you walk alone MC or have regular companions, I've never really done a long walk on my own but have seen lots of solo women out there, good on them :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:00 pm

About half and half - Richard is quite often with me in the Lakes - grey-hair and glasses and a hang-dog look :lol: But often, and especially in the northern Lakes around the area of my caravan, I'm alone...
mountain coward

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I remember running almost precisely this route a couple of years ago. It's lovely country and really quiet.

I should do it again at a more sedate pace.
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland