walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A (sort of) Mosedale Round

A (sort of) Mosedale Round

Postby mamoset » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike (Northern Fells), Knott, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike, Knott

Date walked: 05/09/2015

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't visited these fells for a number of years (and reasons), but after a mate walked them recently, it kind of spurred me into action. I picked a circuitous route, this being the best way to re-visit these Northern Fells.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left the car parked near the Roundhouse, and set off on a decent morning at 7:00am along the track beside the River Caldew.
IMG_7401.JPG
The route in.
After a couple of miles I had to cross the river and head up the breast of Mungrisdale Common.
IMG_7404.JPG
Across to Great Calva & Knott from ascent.
The heather was looking good in full bloom, just needed some sun now to bring it out more. It was a tedious plod up to the summit of Mungrisdale Common, but it was reached eventually :shock:
IMG_7405.JPG
Mungrisdale Common.
There was a bit of cloud cover, but decent enough views all around.
IMG_7406.JPG
Cloud capped Scafell Pike.
IMG_7412.JPG
Skiddaw Ho & Skiddaw.
Made my way off via Long Brow, heading next for Great Calva.
IMG_7413.JPG
Great Calva.
After a bit of trouble crossing the river, and a wet foot to boot, I joined the path heading up Wiley Gill and then up the fence and onto Great Calva.
IMG_7416.JPG
Lonscale Crags from Wiley Gill.
IMG_7421.JPG
Looking south from ascent of Great Calva.
It was quite warm now and I puffed and panted to the summit :lol:
IMG_7424.JPG
Great Calva.
Had I bite to eat in the shelter then headed for Knott.
IMG_7428.JPG
Criffell beyond Binsey from Great Calva.
IMG_7433.JPG
Mungrisdale Common & Great Calva from route to Knott.
IMG_7439.JPG
From the route up Knott.
It's a fairly straightforward down and up to Knott, which was reached pretty quickly.
IMG_7443.JPG
Knott.
On the way over to High Pike, I made a detour to Lingy Hut. I'd never visited it before, due to weather conditions the previous times I'd been up here :lol:
IMG_7445.JPG
Lingy Hut.
Again, it's a nice easy rise up to High Pike, where I noticed the number of walkers and runners steadily increasing.
IMG_7449.JPG
High Pike.
Last but not least, was Carrock Fell.
IMG_7454.JPG
Distant Carrock Fell.
It's not the most pleasant route across Miton Hill and Round Knott and I can imagine it's awful after a lot of wet weather :shock:
IMG_7466.JPG
Looking back.
IMG_7467.JPG
Skiddaw and co.
Without too much trouble, I reached Carrock Fell summit, in very different conditions to last time I was here!!
IMG_7469.JPG
Carrock Fell.
IMG_7476.JPG
Up the River Caldew.
IMG_7478.JPG
Bowscale & Tarn.
IMG_7475.JPG
Across to Bowscale & Blencathra.
I really enjoyed this area again, though obviously the good weather played a big part in that :thumbup:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A (sort of) Mosedale Round

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Some lovely pics of the blooming heather on the fells, even Mungrisdale Common is a nice place to visit on a day like that.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:18 pm

What a lovely round Mamoset, one I would have enjoyed. That heather looks stunning painted across the landscape like that, when you said
"It was quite warm now and I puffed and panted to the summit"

I was left thinking ................. I do that in all temperatures :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:46 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some lovely pics of the blooming heather on the fells, even Mungrisdale Common is a nice place to visit on a day like that.

You're right there jk, the weather helps in this area 8)

ChrisW wrote:What a lovely round Mamoset, one I would have enjoyed. That heather looks stunning painted across the landscape like that, when you said
"It was quite warm now and I puffed and panted to the summit"

I was left thinking ................. I do that in all temperatures :lol:

Haha, to be fair Chris, you are yomping up places that would make most people puff n pant :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby trailmasher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Good report and pics mamoset :clap: . It's a great area to be walking about in and the purple heather adds colour to the sometimes featureless landscape. Personally I love it around there as I have found it mostly shy of other walkers :D
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mamoset » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:35 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good report and pics mamoset :clap: . It's a great area to be walking about in and the purple heather adds colour to the sometimes featureless landscape. Personally I love it around there as I have found it mostly shy of other walkers :D

Thanks masher, you're right about the heather, gives the area a bit of life :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland