walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Hebog

Moel Hebog

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:39 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Hebog, Moel Lefn, Moel yr Ogof

Date walked: 20/09/2015

Time taken: 3.4

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1246m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A rainy, windy and misty day in Wales along the Hebog Ridge.

I wanted to be down for the 4pm Football so this walk fit the ball after heading to Wales in the morning.

My Mum and Dad were happy to just do Hebog while I completed the ridge and headed on to the Eastern section of the Nantlle Ridge.

The ridge itself was slippy and treacherous with the rain and by the time I got to Bwlch-y-Ddwy-elor it was pouring down again and my resolve to head back up to hills I had already done (however good they are) had gone so I followed the bridleway back to the main road and back to Beddgelert.

Once there I could see my parents higher up on Moel Hebog (not enjoying a wet and difficult descent) and with our car parking running out I headed back up to intercept them and get the keys so they could take their time on the lower section!

Out of Beddgelert.JPG
Path out of Beddgelert

Initial path.JPG
Initial path - weather awful!

Heading up the ridge.JPG
Lower section of the ridge

Loose scree near the top.JPG
Loose scree and rocks near the top needed much care in the rain

Trig.JPG
Trig Point on Moel Hebog

Moel Yr Ogof appears.JPG
Moel Yr Ogof appears as the mist lifts slightly

Gap in cave.JPG
The path heads through the notch on route to Moel Yr Ogof

Moel Yr Ogof Summit.JPG
Summit of Moel Yr Ogof back in mist

Looking back at Moel Lefn.JPG
Looking back to the top of Moel Lefn from the cairn on the Northern End

Nantle Ridge ahead.JPG
The Nantlle Ridge briefly appears

Quarry Reservoir.JPG
Quarry Reservoir

Moel Lefn lower cliffs.JPG
Lower cliffs of Moel Lefn

Heading up to Bwlch-Ddwy-Elor.JPG
Heading back up to Bwlch-Ddwy-elor. At this point I had full intention of heading on to the Nantlle Ridge but when I reached the saddle the rain was pouring again and I decided against it as the forest was just there. If I'd have known, I could have saved myself some extra ascent by taking an earlier bridleway back to Beddgelert

Beddgelert forest.JPG
In the Beddgelert forest
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland