walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Promise Kept

A Promise Kept

by Gordie12 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birks, Dollywaggon Pike, Dove Crag, Fairfield, Hart Crag, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Raise, St Sunday Crag, Stybarrow Dodd, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Dove Crag, Fairfield, Hart Crag, Helvellyn, Raise, St Sunday Crag, Stybarrow Dodd, White Side

Date walked: 03/10/2015

Time taken: 10

Distance: 34.6 km

Ascent: 2140m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A Promise Kept

Postby dav2930 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Gordie12 wrote:If you read this, any thoughts on a comparable walk I could consider (in the Lakes) for Spring next year???

Glad to oblige Gordie. You'll be spoilt for choice of course! If your trip isn't too early in the spring then you'll have long daylight hours and could consider some big walks. The Ennerdale Horseshoe is one of the best, starting and finishing at the foot of Ennerdale water and with its apex at Great Gable. It's about 22 miles and over 8000 ft of ascent - so a pretty hefty day but well worth it.

At the other end of the scale, the Coledale Horseshoe is one of my favourite shortish rounds, which starts from Braithwaite and takes in Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Eel Crag, Sail, then either Outerside and Barrow or Scar Crags and Causey Pike (the latter way being the more satisfying). You could also do a big round of Langdale, starting up Jack's Rake (or not) and taking in the Langdale Pikes, Rosset Pike, Esk Pike, Bowfell, Crinkle Crags and Pike o' Blisco. The Coniston round is great too. Oh and the Mosedale Horseshoe at the head of Wasdale.

Just a few suggestions to be going on with but I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas from the walk reports on this site. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:19 pm

dav2930 wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:If you read this, any thoughts on a comparable walk I could consider (in the Lakes) for Spring next year???

Glad to oblige Gordie. You'll be spoilt for choice of course! If your trip isn't too early in the spring then you'll have long daylight hours and could consider some big walks. The Ennerdale Horseshoe is one of the best, starting and finishing at the foot of Ennerdale water and with its apex at Great Gable. It's about 22 miles and over 8000 ft of ascent - so a pretty hefty day but well worth it.

At the other end of the scale, the Coledale Horseshoe is one of my favourite shortish rounds, which starts from Braithwaite and takes in Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Eel Crag, Sail, then either Outerside and Barrow or Scar Crags and Causey Pike (the latter way being the more satisfying). You could also do a big round of Langdale, starting up Jack's Rake (or not) and taking in the Langdale Pikes, Rosset Pike, Esk Pike, Bowfell, Crinkle Crags and Pike o' Blisco. The Coniston round is great too. Oh and the Mosedale Horseshoe at the head of Wasdale.

Just a few suggestions to be going on with but I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas from the walk reports on this site. :)

Cheers dav2930 - really appreciate the info.

I've plenty time to keep an eye out for reports and do my own research but I like the sound of The Ennerdale Horseshoe (I might as well get my money's worth if I'm spending 7-8 hrs in the car).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
....If you read this, any thoughts on a comparable walk I could consider (in the Lakes) for Spring next year???

A couple I've done are:-

Wasdale Head Horseshoe - which you can make as long or as short as you like.

Langdale Pikes horseshoe round to Blisco - again it's a round you can shorten or lengthen more or less at will.

(I did WRs for both these)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:
....If you read this, any thoughts on a comparable walk I could consider (in the Lakes) for Spring next year???

A couple I've done are:-

Wasdale Head Horseshoe - which you can make as long or as short as you like.

Langdale Pikes horseshoe round to Blisco - again it's a round you can shorten or lengthen more or less at will.

(I did WRs for both these)

Thanks Alteknacker, I'll check these out as well.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland