walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coledale Beck to Grasmoor

Coledale Beck to Grasmoor

Postby The_Greenman2000 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Sail, Scar Crags

Date walked: 30/09/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1332m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Still sunny and clear, but a cold night in our tent.
We decided to walk from the campsite up to Grasmoor andridge it back to Braithwaite. We took the old mine track up the Coledale Beck to the old Force Crag Mine and then up to the saddle before heading onto Grasmoor.
Grasmoor.jpg
Grasmoor

then north east back along the ridgeline to Crag Hill and Eel Crag, Scar Crags and Causey Pike via one of the worst paths I have ever seen. what an eyesore!
Crag Hill.jpg
Crag Hill

Scar Crags.jpg
Scar Crags

path to Causey Pike.jpg
Path to Causey Pike...what were they thinking!

Causey Pike.jpg
Causey Pike, looking over Barrow

then it was back to the pub via Outerside, Barrow will have to wait another day as I was cooked by then. What another stunningly sunny day
The_Greenman2000
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:37   

Re: Coledale Beck to Grasmoor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:34 am

That's another great round Greenman, you're certainly getting the weather for it, though sometimes it can be a bit much :roll: I love your hiking companion :D I wonder if the wiggly pathway has something to do with trying to prevent a straight path becoming a stream which people would avoid by walking beside it causing braiding....other than that I've no idea :crazy: Great report and pics again :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Coledale Beck to Grasmoor

Postby The_Greenman2000 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks
We were a bit bushed after the first day but with weather like this it would have been foolish to have started at the tent. Another 2 days walking followed...Ennerdale next
Jasper is now 12 and a half, and managed all four days fine although I think he is glad to be home now
The_Greenman2000
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:37   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland