walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munkan

Munkan

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Date walked: 01/06/2001

Time taken: 7

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 800m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Flew out on a midnight sun flight up the west coast of Norway which was amazing. However, arriving too late to get into the Bodo youth hostel was not amazing.
Kipped in the stair well then set off in the morning for the Moskenes ferry only to find that the winter timetable was still operating so no ferry until afternoon. Hiired a bike and filled in the time with a cycle north.
Finallly on the ferry I enjoyed the evening sun highlighting the jagged Lofoten Wall. The view into Kjerkefjord was particularly impressive.
In no hurry because of the 24 hours sunlight I made steady progress along the road west before cutting north onto the Munkebu trail. I dumped most of my stuff at the foot of the final steep slope to make the mixed walk/scramble up easier. Soon got a view north west over lines of serated peaks that was just absolutely jaw dropping. Onto the summit area and I was a little wary of the snow as I was aware that there were many mauvais pas on these hills. So I kept it safe and stayed on the high point of the snow, testing each step just in case. Nothing much to worry about in fact but it was difficult to judge where there might be a drop. Got a good half hour of views before the weather closed in. So down I went to my sleeping bag for a rest but then I actually reascended towards midnight as the weather cleared again. Back down and I spent a few hours asleep. When I woke up though it was difficult to tell if I'd had a long lie in or had woken early; the sun being more or less directly above didn't really give a good clue as to whether it was 7am or 7pm. I did think tiredness could mean the latter. However, a little bit of thought about this led me to doubt I would have slept so long. Weather was turning bad so I decided to try to shelter in Munkebu hut.
This time the notional Lofoten winter timetable fell in my favour as the hut is left open until the end of May but locked thereafter. I happened to get the last day of key free operation and later in the day someone appeared to check the huut and lock the door. He was kind enough to leave me the key with instructions to return it to its home once I'd left.
My initial intention was to try for another hill from the hut but the next day's weather was hellish snow, sleet and wind. I decided to descend for a night of luxury at the A hostel.

first view of those pointy peaks around Kjerkefjord

a view that gets better and better

angle eases off but wary of cornices

stays clear for half an hour

re-ascent a bit later to catch the late evening light

cloud still coming and going but some evening light too

litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Munkan

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:54 am

Fantastic litljortindan, (even if it took 14 years to write up) :lol: :lol: Those peaks are absolutely stunning, the 24 hr daylight sound like a bit of a double edged sword. You must have been young and fit as a flee to decide to go back up again for shots of the evening light but it was clearly worth it :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MilanBohac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:54 am

Is this a place from a fairy tale? Wow, I didn't know about these mountains! Looks so great, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
MilanBohac
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:48 pm

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic litljortindan, (even if it took 14 years to write up) :lol: :lol: Those peaks are absolutely stunning, the 24 hr daylight sound like a bit of a double edged sword. You must have been young and fit as a flee to decide to go back up again for shots of the evening light but it was clearly worth it :clap:

Yes, that particular island, Moskenesoya, is highly pointy. Just the last 300m or so reascended but yes a different prospect back then Probably think twice now or plan better! Tried to re-do this walk last summer but that was a mistake really as I was not doing well on the steeper ground with my back problems. In fact, in retrospect it was near complete madness to set off there in the condition I was in but what can you do when there's an anticyclone sat on that one spot and it's raining where you are?
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:50 pm

MilanBohac wrote:Is this a place from a fairy tale? Wow, I didn't know about these mountains! Looks so great, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Yes, a bit unreal. Not too hard to get to though. For me it was a flight from Aberdeen to Bodo then everything else on ferry/foot.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 pm

litljortindan wrote: but what can you do when there's an anticyclone sat on that one spot and it's raining where you are?

All you can do is get after the good weather mate....and grimace about the pain later :-?
ChrisW
Rambler

Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Looks positively other worldly, and totally brilliant. Thanks for posting. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:236
Wainwrights:100   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks positively other worldly, and totally brilliant. Thanks for posting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Definitely worth a visit. Possibly the best viewpoint I've been to albeit I haven't to that many places.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby jacob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am

Norway is breathtaking. , I don't know this part of Norway but you do seem to have captured the atmosphere I've tasted there.
jacob

Grahams:4   
Hewitts:16

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:19 pm

jacob wrote:Norway is breathtaking. , I don't know this part of Norway but you do seem to have captured the atmosphere I've tasted there.

Look forward to returning to Munkan one day. A lot of fine scenery in the north.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland