walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Ridge

Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Ridge

by ChrisW » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Date walked: 05/10/2015

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 799m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - Breaking in new boots on spectacular Nihahi Rid

Postby johnovey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 pm

Great report Chris and fantastic photos! You have a great life over there
We have just got home from visiting relatives in Kelowna where we did a few low level hikes.
We are coming our again in August 2016 and plan to travel for 7 days in an RV between Banff and Jasper. We have the Sentinel Pass hike on the hit list and would appreciate any other similar hikes that you can recommend. Not too ambitious though as I will have the wife with me! I have started to look through your previous reports to get some tips!
Also, I use Memory Map to plan my hikes in the UK and to upload to my gps. Do you know of any Canadian mapping that would be compatible with this software or is it down to map and compass to navigate?
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm

HighlandSC wrote:I keep threatening it...but one day I'll have me some of these Canadian hills!

Hey Scott, I missed this somehow. Anyway, if you're thinking of coming up here you know where we are :wink: (though the way my Mrs carries on we could be somewhere else by next year :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:12 pm

johnovey wrote:Great report Chris and fantastic photos! You have a great life over there
We have just got home from visiting relatives in Kelowna where we did a few low level hikes.
We are coming our again in August 2016 and plan to travel for 7 days in an RV between Banff and Jasper. We have the Sentinel Pass hike on the hit list and would appreciate any other similar hikes that you can recommend. Not too ambitious though as I will have the wife with me! I have started to look through your previous reports to get some tips!
Also, I use Memory Map to plan my hikes in the UK and to upload to my gps. Do you know of any Canadian mapping that would be compatible with this software or is it down to map and compass to navigate?

Hi John, thanks for your comments :thumbup:

Just a word of advice on Sentinel Pass - that time of year it is very often closed to groups with fewer than 4 hikers (they prefer 6) due to the grizzly population in the area, this is the case with many hikes in Banff National Park. Parks Canada have a list on their website which changes frequently in tourist season, you'll find it here: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/ours-bears/miseajour-update/miseajour-update-byk.aspx Always have bear spry with you even if going on a very short hike :wink:

Most of my hikes are well off the tourist trail and lack facilities of any kind so might be a bit useless for you guys :? there is one hike that stands out more than any of the 'tourist trails' and that is the iceline trail, you would need to turn off the Banff - Jasper corridor just a little but it would be very well worth it. I haven't done it because I hate the crowds but it is considered one of the best in Canada, there's a post here http://www.hikebiketravel.com/19599/hiking-spectacular-iceline-trail-field-bc/ that doesn't really do it justice but gives you the basic details.

In the same area if you want an easy day then you must go to Emerald Lake, Sarah and I love it there, a nice hike around the lake, great restaurant & bar, canoe rentals etc, there's a post on my own website about it with pics here http://onejourney.weebly.com/a-weekend-in-the-mountains.html

There are so many places along the Banff-Jasper corridor including some wonderful short hikes to places like peyto lake which is one we see often

The short hike to the Athabasca Glacier is worth stopping for too (you can also go out onto the glacier on a huge bus type thing)

You can take the gondola to the top of the mountain in Jasper and hike a huge area without the slog of getting up there Image

Another nice short one is the hike to Mt Edith Clavell and Angel Glacier

Athabasca falls are pretty good too, a bit busy in tourist season but very nice all the same

You can roam around our website and see what we get up to here
http://onejourney.weebly.com/blog

The good news is that you can download Canadian maps on Memory map there's some instructions here
https://www.memory-map.co.uk/support/695156-Downloading-and-activating-USACanadian-maps-via-Digital-Map-Shop

Feel free to ask anything else John I'm only to happy to help, and if you fancy dinner with a couple of brits while you're here just say the word :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnovey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks for the tips Chris. I will check out the trails over the next few months.
My sister in law has hiked the sentinel pass this year and is keen to show us. There will be seven of us in the group so hopefully will keep the bears at bay, Thie party includes our 3 foster boys so if they don't scare the bears off, we can always feed them to the bears while we get away! :lol:
Seriously though, I realise that you need to respect the bears and keep them at a distance. I noticed that you are a bit of an expert at avoiding conflict! We met a black bear last week going through the bins looking for food!
We hiked around Emerald Lake 5 years ago when we last visited and it was beautiful.
If you don't mind, I will run a few things by you before making any decisions. My sister in law is a keen hiker and has some ideas and some trails that you might be familiar with.
In the meantime, keep the reports coming!
Thanks again
By the way....your website looks great
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:54 pm

If you don't mind, I will run a few things by you before making any decisions. My sister in law is a keen hiker and has some ideas and some trails that you might be familiar with.
In the meantime, keep the reports coming!
Thanks again
By the way....your website looks great

Feel free to ask anything John, it's no bother as most of it is on my doorstep :wink: Thanks for the kind comments about my website too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:22 pm

another cracker, Chris :thumbup: hard to think of a better way in which to break in new boots ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:18 pm

rockhopper wrote:another cracker, Chris :thumbup: hard to think of a better way in which to break in new boots ! - cheers :)

Cheers RH, hard to believe those boots were new such a short time ago...they look well hammered already :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland