walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great and Little Whernside

Great and Little Whernside

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Whernside

Date walked: 17/10/2015

Time taken: 3.45

Distance: 19.1 km

Ascent: 867m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd enjoyed Great Whernside when doing my round of Dales Hewitts and was annoyed that I had to rush to the summit and back that day.

With a bit more time on my hands I decided to revisit this part of the Daleas and follow the ridge around to Nidd Head and Little Whernside. After being entirely pleasant round to Nidd Head the walking conditions got much worse on the approach to LW with bogs and peat hags.

On the summit of LW I decided that I wouldn't continue on to Dead Man's Hill over this kind of ground and instead took the chance to walk the lovely ridge back to GW again - as the mist that had been there earlier had cleared and it was making a nice afternoon.

Cold and windy on the tops today made me stop to put on gloves and hat for the first time in ages.

Heading up.JPG
Heading up the lovely green path to Hag Dyke

Hag Dyke.JPG
Hag Dyke

Summit in mist.JPG
Great Whernside Summit

Plateau.JPG
The mist is down on the plateau as I head round to Blackfell Top and Nidd Head.

Little Whernside appears.JPG
Little Whernside and the two Reservoirs (Angram and Scar House) appear as the mist lifts

Little Whernside now ahead.JPG
Little Whernside now ahead - the route would get much boggier and rough from here

Wild Litle Whernside summit area.JPG
Little Whernside summit plateau - a sea of peat hags

Summit Little Whernside.JPG
Summit cairn on Little Whernside (although some of the hags nearby have surely outgrown it now) looking back to Great Whernside

Nearly back at GW.JPG
The weather had improved a lot as I come close to Great Whernside again

On descent.JPG
Descending from Great Whernside. As I'd revisited the summit I thought about maybe going back via Providence Pot ( my route up last time) but the route down via Hag Dyke is so beautiful in descent I decided to go that way yet again.

Beautiful Dales colours.JPG
Typical Dales colours as I approach Hag Dyke
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland