walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some walks in the Atacama

Some walks in the Atacama

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Date walked: 07/01/2010

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part 1
As part of a "trip of a lifetime" arranged by Pura Aventura that included Patagonia, South Georgia and Antarctica we decide to start in the Atacama desert in Northern Chile - one of the driest places on earth. We flew to Santiago and then North to Calama in the copper mining Antofaogasta province. Our tour guide Camillo met us and drove us to St. Pedro de Atacama where we stayed for five nights in very pleasant hotel on the outskirts - individual adobe cabins with thatched reeds roofs
IMG_2096.JPG

It is a bit more expensive having your own tour guide - there are various organsed trips - but YOU arrange your holiday to do the things YOU want to do. It's a long way to go to follow someone else's ideas.
St. Pedro is a small town about 2600m altitude in the shadow of a classical cone shaped Volcano - Licancabur - mountain of the people - 5920m (19,400ft) high :shock: . The border with Bolivia is just beyond.
IMG_2089.jpg

From the hotel garden Licancabur dominates St. Pedro

I was immediately reminded of Sergio Leone (fistful of dollars etc.) :lol: It seemed to have an amazing population of dogs that just lay sleeping on the pavements, never barked and were completely unaggressive either to people or to each other - I guess it's to do with the heat :)
Although there is almost no rain, water does come down from the mountains - snow melt maybe - and a narrow canal runs through the village. The water is rationed - each house having a specific day on which it can irrigate its garden
The heat in the middle of the day is extreme, so our daily "itinerary" often involved two outings - one in the early morning and another about 4.00pm
DAY 1
In the morning we bicycled a few km along a sandy track to a hot salt lake with soda crystals floating on the surface and also red-necked phalaropes (see later picture). Donna went swimming but I gave that a miss.
Halt-on-bike-ride.jpg
Halt-on-bike-ride.jpg[/img] halt on the bike ride
Salt lake.jpg
Salt Lake
In the late afternoon we went for a couple of walks in the Valee de la Luna a - few Km south West of St. Pedro. We had a driver - Rodrigo - who dropped us off and collected us at our finishing points. It is thought there has been no rain for at least 100 years here, and the surface is covered in salt, soda and gypsum crystals - there are also wind formed "statues". The photos say it all
Vallee-de-la-Luna-01.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-02.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-03.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-04.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-05.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-06.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-07.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-08.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-09.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-10.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-11.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-12.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-13.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-14.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-15.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-16.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-17.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-18.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-20.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-21.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-22.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-23.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-24.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-25.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-26.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-27.jpg

Vallee-de-la-Luna-28.jpg

DAY 2
North and East of St. Pedro the land rises to over 4000m. This is part of the Altiplano - see Wikipedia for more info.
We headed up to a small village Machuka at nearly 4500m and walked for 4 hours down the valley of a stream - the Rio Grande -to the village of Rio Grande where Rodrigo collected us . What constitutes a "big river" depends upon where you are :lol: :lol: :lol: . The altitude is quite high, but because it is so close to the equator, the effect on breathing is much less than in (say) the Alps
Map3.jpg

IMG_2065a.jpg
more detailed map of the walk
Again the photos say it all, though there were interesting plants and animals and Camillo found us several bits of Obsidian - a black volcanic glass
IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2067.jpg

Lamas-on-the-Altiplano.jpg
Lamas are domesticated animals and unusually, use specific common toilet areas so that they don't poo on their food - grass is quite precious :)

VIEWS OF THE WALK - the vegatation beside the stream is quite lush, but changes to desert only a short distance away.
RG01.jpg

RG02.jpg

RG03.jpg

RG04.jpg

Continued in Part 2

Image Viscachas live in the rocks and are related to the Chinchilla
Cactus
Mutisia Subulata a climbing plant - or so a kindly man at Kew advised me

Image The valley ahead becomes quite narrow - a side gully on the R

Image Beyond these habitations the valley becomes too narrow to navigate and we follow a track on the Left.
ImageWe start to climb above the valley

Could be John Wayne country :lol:

ImageIt was pretty hot at the top
ImageThe track descends to rejoin the stream
ImageLooking back up

Image The vegetation down here is stunningly green

Image In the village of Rio Grande

DAY 3
This was the day I would climb a volcano - Donna opted out and took it easy You can walk up Licancabur - it has a lake in the crater

Wikipedia says "The summit and the crater are located entirely in Chile, slightly over 1 km (3,281 ft) to the southwest of the international borders. It is about 400 m (1,312 ft) wide and contains Licancabur Lake, a 70 m (230 ft) by 90 m (295 ft) crater lake which is ice-covered most of the year. This is one of the highest lakes in the world, and despite air temperatures which can drop to -30 °C, it harbors planktonic fauna.

- but it takes two days, so we settled for the 5600m Cerro Toco further to the South - still 1000m higher than I've ever been :roll: You can drive to just over 5000m as there is an old sulpur mine there - Chile's copper used to be smelted using sulphuric acid made by burning sulphur, but a less polluting technique is used now, so the sulphur mines have closed down. We started about dawn
Image The road to the old mine runs round to the South of the summit but doesn't appera in this google map
Image A more detailed view we started from the 5050m plateau
Image LIcancabur in the early morning: It is a very old volcano and is thought not to have erupted for maybe 1000 years, Juriques (5720m) is much younger: the Laguna Verdes are in Bolivia
Image On the road to the mine: There are two telescopes on the West face of the mountain - centre Right

There is reasonable path for most of the ascent, and I didn't find it too exhausting: it was only when I sat by the summit and leaned forward to open my rucksack that I fell flat on my face :lol: :lol: :lol: . It was like being very drunk.
The view looks like something transmitted by the Mars rover - A landscape of various shades of red with more volcanos in every direction - most of them dormant or extinct - I only noticed steam rising from one far to the South. There isn't really much of a crater. Here are the photos
ImageLicancabur, Juriques and the Laguna Verdes from the ridge
ImageViews from the summit go roughly anticlockwise from the South

ImageLooking South East: the distant snow capped mountains are in Argentina

Image Sitting at the summit - it was pretty cold and I wore hat and gloves
ImageOn the way home - another view of Licancanbur and Juriques

DAY 4
further North East beyond Machuka the road leads to the El Tatio geiser fields - still at around 4300m - where there are numerous steam vents, hot pools etc. You set off in the dark and arrive just before dawn so that the visual effect of the steam is maximised. It's all quite fun, but after seeing Yellowstone in my youth everything else is a pale imitation - including Rotorua in New Zealand..

On the way back we saw a number of Vicunas -famed for their extremely fine fibered wool which allows them to survive at these altitudes. Unlike Lamas and Alpacas, Vicunas cannot be farmed. If they are enclosed they simply fade away and die. Every year the herdsmen round them up, shear them and then release them.

Image Looking back at the Geiser fields

On the way home we visited a spring where there were a number of spectacular water birds
Image A spring in the Altiplano
Image TThe Phalarope was at the salt lake

Image A final view of Licancabur on the way home

So that was it - a lightning tour of the area - just a taste but there must be so much more to see
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Some walks in the Atacama

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Oooooooh what a stunning place, I've always fancied a visit to the Atacama but can't get MrsW interested :roll: Some fantastic photos which must support even better memories.

Such wonderful colours in the dessert too, just beautiful :clap: :clap: I'm with you on the Yellowstone thing, every hot spring/geyser mud pool etc I've seen since has been compared to those and found wanting, though to be honest I think Yellowstone is a "been once, seen all I need to" sort of place but that might just be my constant craving for new experiences.

Anyway, absolutely loved this and now find myself longing for the high deserts again :wink: :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for this report. At the risk of being accused of being in the pay of the Chilean Tourist Board, I thought I would share a few photos of my trip last year to the same area. Here is Licancabur from the square in San Pedro:

ImageLicancabur from the Square in St Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr

The dogs are still there as you describe them!

ImageSan Pedro de Atacama Square by James Stone, on Flickr

There is a lot to do there, including cycling:

ImageCycling at San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr

which led us to this;

ImageNear San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr

San Pedro is an oasis and is fed by an aquifer:

ImageRiver in San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr

The geology is interesting:

ImageP1020262 by James Stone, on Flickr

There are petroglyphs:

ImagePetroglyphs near San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr

But what we found most stunning were the laguna in the Altiplano:

ImageLaguna Miscanti, near San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr
[click to enlarge]

ImageLaguna Miniques , near San Pedro de Atacama by James Stone, on Flickr
[click to enlarge]

Oh and Chris, you need to twist MrsW's arm just that bit harder!
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:39 pm

I all looks stunning and VERY different ! Where do you find details on visiting
and touring in this area ? :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi Clach Liach
Thanks for you pics - the petro glyphs are certainly interesting : I was unaware of them. As regards the Geology, I noticed the grey-green sections of rock both in the Valee de la Luna and also in the hills beside the Rio Grande. For me Cerro Toco was the highlight. I kept thinking of that film " Capricorn 1" that I really liked.

James 863
Pura Aventura were very good, and Camillo excellent - but I'm sure there are other Cos.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Always wanted to go to Chile. Hope I make it one day. Brilliant pictures
Sunset tripper

Postby litljortindan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Amazing landscape. Looking forward to the rest.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland