walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Causey Pike to Grasmoor, above the clouds

Causey Pike to Grasmoor, above the clouds

Postby richardkchapman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:44 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Grasmoor, Sail, Scar Crags, Wandope

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grasmoor, Sail, Scar Crags, Wandope

Date walked: 03/11/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1086m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Causey Pike etc.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After yesterday's successful foray above the clouds on Mellbreak, when the forecast looked similar we took "Low cloud" to mean "chance to get above the clouds" again and planned a route across some of the local high ground to maximize our chances. Granny was off to meet friends in Grasmere, so there was an opportunity to leave a car at the finishing point and hitch a ride over to the starting point for a one-way ridge walk.

An early start (by our standards) was called for both to make sure Granny could get to Grasmere in time for her lunch date and in order to give ourselves the chance to get up and down and over 6 Wainwrights before it got dark. The promise of 6 fells ticked off in one day was enough to get even Sarah out of bed in time to leave the house at 10am sharp.

We dropped the Landrover at Lanthwaite, at the top of Crummock Water, and squeezed 3 walkers and 3 dogs into Granny's rather smaller car to drive over to Stair.

We had decided NOT to approach Causey Pike via the traditional route from Rowling End/Sleet Hause, as we were concerned that the final rocktower might be tricky for the dogs (and for Thomas with his damaged finger). Instead we picked a route that was a cross between Wainwright's "Ascent from Braithwaite" and his "Ascent of Scar Crags from Stair" routes - up the old mine road to High Moss then up to the ridge between Causey Pike and Scar Crags.

Setting off from Stair by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

The old mine road (I think actually it was an old railway) made the going very easy at a gentle gradient. We had one dilemma at the point where the OS map showed a path leaving to the left to ascend to the Causey Pike ridge, but Wainwright showed the path rather further on. It was hard to tell in the mist, but the general lay of the land on the map suggested that the OS option would involve losing quite a bit of height then ascending steeply, while the Wainwright path would cross the valley at its head and so be much gentler, even if it was a longer way round. We opted for the latter.

Suddenly we started to get hints of sunlight above the cloud, poking out from behind the Causey Pike summit to our left.

First view of Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

And in a few moments we were above the clouds.

Coming out of the cloud by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Looking back along the mine path by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

The Wainwright path up to the ridge turned out to be a very good choice - diagonally up the ridge at a very easy angle.

Head up to Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Before long we were on the ridge and ready to tackle the first of Causey Pike's five mini-summits. Thomas thought I was joking about the 5 summits until he got to the top of the first one...

Causey Pike summit from the ridge by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

The real top was a little vertiginous (I think the cloud makes it more so) with no view of the route up from Rowling End. Felt very much like being on a tower of rock in the middle of a sea of cloud, and it was not entirely a comfortable feeling!
I was glad to set off back along the ridge to Scar Crags.

Skiddaw group from Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

View from Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

View from Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Atop Causey Pike by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Scar Crags was easily reached after a gentle climb. We paused for part one of lunch...

On top of Scar Crags by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

There were some engineered causeways to cross bogs on the summit that seemed a little unnecessary (but nothing to compare with the engineering of the path up to Sail...)

Causeway over a bog by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Over-engineered path up Sail by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Having been rude about the aesthetics of the zigzags up to Sail when viewed from a distance, I have to say they made for a much easier climb than it would have been without them. The summit of Sail comes as a bit of an anticlimax, with the smallest of cairns, and somewhat overshadowed by Eel Crag beyond.

On the way up Sail by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Wainwright described the ridge to Eel Crags from Sail as "exhilarating climb up a narrow crest" which pretty much sums it up - there were a few moments when the path was a little close to the edge for my liking but nothing too scary.

Eel Crag from Sail by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

From Eel Crags the views were panoramic.

On Eel Crag, looking back at the ridge by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Wandope from Eel Crag by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

On top of Eel Crag by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Wandope and/or Grasmoor were our next targets, and it didn't look like a detour via Wandope would really add much time or distance to the ascent of Grasmoor. We were aware that we needed to press on if we were not going to have to descend in darkness, so after a short break for chocolate we headed down to Wandope - an ascent so easy it felt like cheating...

We didn't hang around on Wandope but headed straight on towards Grasmoor. Quite a long slog up to the ridge, but then an easy stroll along it to the summit and some lovely views.

The sky was starting to get some colours in it, and I briefly contemplated hanging around for what I am sure was going to be a fantastic sunset, but the prospect of a cold descent in the dark was not appealing.

Waiting for the sunset by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

View from Grasmoor by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Sapphie on Grasmoor by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

I was not confident of finding or following the direct descents to Crummock water via Red Gill or indeed the direct route ("probably less difficult than the north wall of the Eiger" according to Wainwright) so we had planned to descend via Coledale Hause from where I assumed the path down the Gasgale Gill would be unmissable. The path to Coledale Hause was indistinct but there was no real need for a path - any route would do down the grassy bank. I suspect we should probably have stayed closer to the crags for a better path and a better view.

At Coledale Hause our path led down into the mist. There was a sudden drop in temperature from one step to the next as we passed into the cloud.

Looking down from Coledale Hause by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

Descending into the mist by Richard Chapman, on Flickr

The path down was distinct enough though not as easy walking as I had expected - a few tricky rock steps to negotiate especially for tired dogs - and the fading light and thickening mist didn't make for a particularly fun end to the day. But overall the day had been spectacularly enjoyable - and 6 new Wainwrights bagged.

Sapphie contemplates the clouds by Richard Chapman, on Flickr
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

Re: Causey Pike to Grasmoor, above the clouds

Postby trailmasher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Another great set of photos and report :clap: That is a walk I have done a few times and you were right to miss out Rowling End, it's a killer :roll: The path going up Sail is a lot better than the original one as it now takes out the direct slog up :(
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:33 am

What incredible cloud-scapes you got there! I'm envious. Even your dogs looked like they appreciated it.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Two in two days! Doesn't get much better than that.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:50 pm

That 'nose lick' on the summit of Causey Pike is such a great pic mate. love it :clap: Great to see you all out there again even if you were squashed in grannies car to get there :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Guinessman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Great shots on what was a special day,I was on Great Gable and Kirk fell that day. There is a path that cuts down from Grasmoor summit to Coledale Hause by following the line of the crag tops.It's a much better path than the direct path from Crag hill. If you're not sure have a look at the shoulder from below if your back that way again.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland