walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

USA - Delicate Arch - Arches National Park - Utah

USA - Delicate Arch - Arches National Park - Utah

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Date walked: 14/11/2015

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 162m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a prolonged foot injury Sarah was finally cleared to pull on the hiking boots, but only on good firm ground and gentle grades, but at least it's a start. Having now received our permanent residency status in Canada we decided to celebrate by heading down to Utah for a break and to give that foot a little work without the ice and snow of Kananaskis.

Delicate Arch is located in Arches National Park near Moab, Utah. The whole area is an outdoor lovers paradise and I would recommend visiting here to anyone. To reach the trailhead you must pay an entrance fee of $10 at the park gate located 4 miles north of Moab on US 191, the fee allows rentry to the park for 7 days. After entering the park follow Arches Scenic Drive Rd for 12 miles to a right turn onto Delicate Arch Rd, follow this for 1.5 miles to the parking area at Wolfe Ranch where the trailhead is easily identified.

Note: very often Delicate Arch Viewpoint is closed and roadside signs in the park highlight this information visitors. Don't think that this means the trail is closed, it is not, the viewpoint and trail are different places and when the viewpoint is closed you can still hike the trial.

The hike begins with a level walk through a sage brush filled valley to an old replica cabin and native american petroglyphs (there is an option to avoid this route and cut a little off the hike but it is a minimal gain)

At this time of year there are fewer visitors and the trial is a comfortable easy hike, but in the summer the car park here is often filled to capacity and there is no relief parking. When it's like that the trail is heaving with people and in places 'backed up' where the trial narrows, as someone who has done this in both circumstances I assure you it can be incredibly frustrating. But there's none of that today as we press on over lost spring creek.

Further on the trail makes it's first minor ascent by twisting up the side of a boulder strewn wall before turning back on itself as you reach the top and level out once more.

Higher up the colour of the desert changes to red, the trail is in great condition and perfect for Sarah and her foot rehabilitation (though the miles we walked in the park before this were starting to tell a little)

The elevation gained so far is mostly lost as we drop down into a valley before rising again onto a well marked trail that cuts along the top of the dry sandstone.

Once across the valley we reach the the beginning of the main ascent of the route which is made over a huge solid mass of sandstone sloping gradually upward, Sarah takes the lead following a well worn trail visible in on the surface of the rock.

Continuing the ascent up the sandstone slope I took a look back over the route so far, there is still a very clear worn area along the surface and the occasional cairn marking the way.

It's a good steady pull up the slab which reaches an upper valley surprisingly filled with trees and shrubs. The trail becomes less firm here for a short time and is littered with ankle snappers, not normally an issue but it made for some careful stepping for Sarah.

The valley exits once more onto the now familiar sandstone floor, still every little hollow has it's own shrub poking out grabbing it's share of the scarce water resources up here.

Ahead now is a beautiful array of weathered bowls with the route across them visible by the lighter colour of the well trodden rock leading around the edge of a wonderfully layered mass of sandstone.

Once across the bowls, the route is still in shade and a good amount of frost still sits on the surface so a little extra care is needed for Sarah, this only lasts a hundred metres or so and is soon cleared without incident.

Whilst on the shaded side of the rock there is a large window visible up a steep slope to the right hand side, having been here before I knew what the view from here was, so I asked Sarah to stay on the trail while I scrambled up to the window for the first glimpse of the incredible Arch beyond.

Beyond the window is a fantastic fault where the upper section of rock has slipped sidewards leaving a perfect footpath around the side of the remaining mass which in addition has lovely desert views, you couldn't have designed it better.

The perfect path leads to the final small ridge which provides a wonderful viewing platform for Sarahs first look at Delicate Arch, even having been here before I am still struck by the beauty of the scene.

We sat on the ridge and bathed in the winter sunshine watching others make their way around the huge bowl to the arch for photos, the people standing inside it really bring perspective to the shot.

After a rest on the ridge we made our way over to the arch where a nearby boulder allowed use of the timer for a shot, spoiled by me turning to see what the hell was going on as one tourist decided a boom box blaring Mexican music was what the area needed.

Sarah tucked in against a rock facing the sun while I had the usual scramble around looking for photo locations. This views shows just how precariously placed the arch is and really brings home the wonder of it's existence, it's a great reward for little effort.

The route out is just a reverse of the route in, which is a shame as I am absolutely sure there would be a good alternative to make a loop here. Sarah loved the hike and her first view of Arches National Park and I loved the fact that we got to share it this time around, it made the park so much better for me.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: USA - Delicate Arch - Arches National Park - Utah

Postby dav2930 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:10 pm

What a fantastic, surreal place to visit Chris! Iconic stuff. Seems ironic to me that just as you receive your permanent residency status in Canada you go swanning off to the Utah desert! A well deserved break though, and it's good to see Sarah with her boots on again.

The desert light as captured in your photos is very striking - so crystal clear, with deep blue skies. The picture of Delicate Arch showing 'just how precariously placed' it is reminds me of Dali's paintings. Great report as always. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm

WOW. Chris that looks stunning, love the cabin and arch.
It looks like the perfect area to bump into James T Kirk on location in the 60's :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:53 am

dav2930 wrote:What a fantastic, surreal place to visit Chris! Iconic stuff. Seems ironic to me that just as you receive your permanent residency status in Canada you go swanning off to the Utah desert! A well deserved break though, and it's good to see Sarah with her boots on again.

The desert light as captured in your photos is very striking - so crystal clear, with deep blue skies. The picture of Delicate Arch showing 'just how precariously placed' it is reminds me of Dali's paintings. Great report as always. :clap:

Cheers Dav, we felt we had to get out, part of the residency process is the removal of your visa and a 90 day period where you have nothing to allow access back into the country should you leave, the fact that we couldn't leave left us both desperately wanting to leave :lol:

Southern Utah has been a favourite of mine since we lived in the US back in 2006-10, Sarah hadn't been and really wanted to go so we had a whirlwind tour for 10 days....now she wants to go back :lol:

mamoset wrote:WOW. Chris that looks stunning, love the cabin and arch.
It looks like the perfect area to bump into James T Kirk on location in the 60's :lol:

Cheers Mamoset, I think that is about the most perfect description of this place, though Bryce Canyon might be even closer.....I'll be posting one from there shortly :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby davgil » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:30 am

Thoroughly enjoyable as always Chris, what an incredible place.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Happy memories of Utah and Arches - I love the USNPs :) . I hope you recreated the scenes from the start of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:54 pm

davgil wrote:Thoroughly enjoyable as always Chris, what an incredible place.

Thanks David, this place really is one of my favourites

LeithySuburbs wrote:Happy memories of Utah and Arches - I love the USNPs :) . I hope you recreated the scenes from the start of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade :lol: .

Cheers LS, I should have done the Indiana Jones thing...I've even got the hat for it :lol: I think the both the State and National Parks of America are spectacular, there are so many and they all have something incredible to offer :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:37 am

All photos brilliant but the one with the arch and the sun is spectacular.
Loved Utah but they have some weird and repressive alcohol laws. Not as bad as Kayenta Az. though where selling alcohol is totally illegal. :crazy:
Maybe ive got a problem :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Mancunian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:55 am

Cheers Chris, your TR brings memories back from 2007 when I've been at the arch on a trip through the western part of the states. I find it amazing in your photos that there is water in the stream and even the occassional puddle. In summer 07 everything was bone dry. The arch itself is a special place. Here is a photo of 2007...

Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:44 am

Fine pics of a truly iconic landscape, great to see Sarah up and about again.
P>S. Congrats on you permanent Canadian residency.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 am

Sunset tripper wrote:All photos brilliant but the one with the arch and the sun is spectacular.
Loved Utah but they have some weird and repressive alcohol laws. Not as bad as Kayenta Az. though where selling alcohol is totally illegal. :crazy: Maybe ive got a problem :shock:

Cheers ST, as for the problem...it's not you it's them mate :wink:

Mancunian wrote:Cheers Chris, your TR brings memories back from 2007 when I've been at the arch on a trip through the western part of the states. I find it amazing in your photos that there is water in the stream and even the occassional puddle. In summer 07 everything was bone dry. The arch itself is a special place.

Thanks Mancunian, I visited here in July 09...it was so hot I thought I'd faint :crazy: This was much better, the water came from snow melt as we had snow for a day or two leading up to it...perfect timing this time :wink:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Fine pics of a truly iconic landscape, great to see Sarah up and about again.
P>S. Congrats on you permanent Canadian residency.

Thanks JK, it's really nice to know Sarah will be out in the mountains with me on the weekends again :thumbup: the residency thing is hard work but worth doing...two years of form filling, sending in photos, police checks from everywhere you've ever lived (local, state and federal checks from the US and they all want paying :roll: ) Wouldn't surprise me if the Mrs found a new job in Europe next week and it was all for naught :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby trailmasher » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:23 pm

I don't know how I missed this one Chris but yet another great set of photos, :clap: the colours are beautifully contrasting with each other :) and I just love the starkness of the landscape as it's beauty in itself. Well done once again :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:45 pm

trailmasher wrote:I don't know how I missed this one Chris but yet another great set of photos, :clap: the colours are beautifully contrasting with each other :) and I just love the starkness of the landscape as it's beauty in itself. Well done once again :clap:

Thanks TM, I love the deserts of the US. They all have their own particular charm but southern Utah is really something else :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ilovescotty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 am

Amazing photos as always! You have been to some awesome places, I always feel jealous reading your posts.

I love photo #2, it really looks like the set of an old cowboy movie!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby ChrisW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 pm

ilovescotty wrote:Amazing photos as always! You have been to some awesome places, I always feel jealous reading your posts.

I love photo #2, it really looks like the set of an old cowboy movie!

Cheers ILS , since 2006 I've had an incredible lifestyle and seen so much of North America, it has been fantastic. I'd like to do the same in Europe I think, but for now it's North America :wink:

As for the cowboy movie landscapes....take a look at this one we visited the day before we went to Arches
ChrisW
Rambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland