walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The New Forest in winter

The New Forest in winter

Postby ilovescotty » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Date walked: 05/12/2015

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another place ticked off my list. Not a very challenging walk (apart from getting stuck in some bog) , but lovely scenery and great wildlife.

This report is a combination of two walks we did during our trip, couldn't be bothered to post them separately.

002.jpg

010.jpg

016.jpg
The woods in the New Forest are full of really old oaks, beech and Ash trees, some of the oldest in England

Saw some great birds on this trip, kestrel, tawny owl and best of all, a white stork!! As is always the case, they were gone before I could get a snap (the tawny owl we saw at night on our way to dinner)!

027.jpg
Despite the terrain being flatter than a pancake, Emma still allowed herself 5 or 6 breaks! Obviously I did not approve and attempted on several occasions to leave her behind for the ponies to eat.

029.jpg

After this we headed off the track and into the woods. The native woodland in the New Forest look how I would imagine our woodlands looked before human intervention.

033.jpg

037.jpg

044.jpg
Proof that bigfoot really does exist . . . .

051.jpg

We came to an opening which gave me a good opportunity for photographs. It was a really strange day weather-wise, quite hazy one minute then perfectly clear all of a sudden.

059.jpg

063.jpg

075.jpg
The dead forest

The open areas have very difficult to follow paths, so we did end up emerged in bog. I've never smelt anything so foul.

I imagine the hundreds of years worth of wild pony poo, along with general muddy-damp mouldiness had led to the delightful perfume we were now knee-deep in.

095.jpg
This is the last know photograph of Emma before the bog swallowed her whole . . . . . no not really, she's alive and well

130.jpg
YUMMY!

128.jpg
Last photo of the day

The next day was a less smelly affair. We headed up to the Boulderwood area and again just went off the path to explore the woods. The night before we had a run in with a local deer heard, spilled out into the road right outside of Lyndhurst!

137.jpg

140.jpg

165.jpg

183.jpg

189.jpg

193.jpg

201.jpg

If any of you highlanders ever fancy something a bit flatter but just as scenic, The New Forest is definitely worth a visit.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Re: The New Forest in winter

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:32 am

Definitely one place I'd like to walk again ILS, my Mrs would be one for 5 or 6 stops along the way too :lol: Love the pics, really show the best of our woodlands :clap: ....strange that some of our oldest trees are in the 'new' forest :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Riverman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:51 am

Beautiful photos. The light in the first one from day 2 is terrific.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby ilovescotty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:58 am

ChrisW wrote:strange that some of our oldest trees are in the 'new' forest :crazy:

I have always wondered why its called the New Forest? Being the massive sado I am, I will have a look online today to find out, or its going to start bothering me!

Riverman wrote:Beautiful photos. The light in the first one from day 2 is terrific.

Thanks, this was my first venture with my new camera so I was still working out the settings but i'm pleased with them.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby trailmasher » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Some great shots there ILS :clap: and what a great place to take 'em in :) You had a better 2 days than we had in Cumbria :(
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland