walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Wading through snow to Indefatigable Ridge

Canada - Wading through snow to Indefatigable Ridge

Postby ChrisW » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:12 am

Date walked: 16/12/2015

Time taken: 3

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 529m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My day started early with a surprise heavy snowfall so rather than setting off to the mountains I found myself clearing the drive and path in front of the house. Something I really like about Canada is the requirement on every homeowner (or business owner) to clear snow from the portion of path adjacent to their property, this results in clear walkways throughout the town/city, I even had time to do the neighbours bit before heading out.

I had no plans for any particular hike today and had actually thrown my snowshoes in the back of the truck intending to make a nice steady plod somewhere when the mood took me. But, as is very often the case when I have no specific target in mind, I found myself at Upper Kananaskis Lake, long shadows still hung across the frozen surface but at least that means sunshine. As I stood on the isthmus looking across to Mt Lyautey I felt the -14 degrees nipping at any area of exposed flesh and shuffled back to the truck to gear up.

Once I'd pulled on the winter boots, coat and hat I took another look around while deciding where to head, suddenly it struck me that there was only a few feet of snow and I could perhaps still make it up the ridge on Mt Indefatigable, it's such a beautiful mountain and so perfectly placed that it took little more than a whimsical thought to see me dispatching the snowshoes back into the truck and digging out the crampons instead.

As I set out I stopped briefly to talk to two guys who just arrived and intended going ice fishing, with the water falling through the hydro plant the ice on the upper lake was creaking and groaning and the stillness of all else made it seem much worse. One of the two was still up for it and trying to explain to his friend why it was creaking and pointing out that the ice was over a foot thick but his friend was not keen. I left them to it and headed out looking back at Mt Sarrail and Mt Lyautey and Hidden Pass that sits between them.

Most of the exposed areas are almost clear of snow where the wind has swept away all but the most sheltered spots, this gives me hope for the ridge to come as it is exposed in it's early stages.

Once over the bridge which crosses the floodway at the end of the isthmus the trail curves left (west) and I am soon on the junction needed, straight ahead is the start of the route around the upper lake or (from another junction ahead) on to Three Isle Lake and the Alberta/British Columbia border. Back to my junction, from here I'm heading right to the Grizzly warning sign.

The bear warning is worth taking note of as the hike is in prime bear country and the slopes are perfect for denning. Black bears tend to like slopes of 20 to 40 degrees at 5500 to 8500 feet and will dig under windfall, hollow trunks and occasionally caves. Grizzlies tend to excavate on 30 to 60 degree slopes at 6500 to 10000 feet and much prefer the base of a large well vegetated tree to dig beneath.

The trail to Indefatigable ridge is on 20 to 60 degree slopes, between 5500 and 8300 feet, it has plenty of windfall and large vegetated trees, hollow trunks and small caves, so with a few feet of snow on the ground it's really important to know where you're standing and avoid standing close to these types of potential denning sites, creeks like the one below are a good place to walk as bears will avoid creeks when denning. Image

Areas like this on the other hand are definitely places to be wary of, fortunately I know there is a trail beneath here and bears will avoid trails (for the most part) but it's still worth giving a wide berth to potential denning sites.

It's nice to ascend into the more rocky areas where digging is unlikely and the snow is often blown clear, the bear concerns are much reduced and the views begin to open up at last. The hike up so far has been fairly good with only boot deep snow for the most part with the exception of occasional drifting.

I'm soon up and out of the forest, looking back I can't see any sign of the guys who were discussing fishing so I guess the creaking ice was just too much for one of them at least.

After grovelling through some deep drifts on the steep slope to the low point of the ridge I pop out onto the welcome rocky terrain and can now enjoy at least a short stretch of easier going with the reassuring sound of crampon on rock my only accompaniment.

From low down a zoomed shot of the Hidden Valley doesn't quite show the huge frozen sheet of ice that is Fossil Falls which looks fantastic with the naked eye. The glacier above now has a heavy blanket of snow which will remain until at least July though Fossil Falls will be flowing long before then.

The easy going trail along the top of the rocky ridge is interrupted by a need to drop down into a crevice and cross over to continue along the ridge. In the dip the snow has accumulated to thigh level but mercifully it is for a short distance only, following rabbit prints in the snow wasn't helping much.

Once up and out of the big dip the snow is back to boot depth and good going again, turning round to look back on the view is just spectacular. I've seen this so many times but I still find it to be one of the real beauties of Kananaskis. I can now see my truck is all alone in the car park so I guess the fishermen decided against it.

Looking up the ridge I can see the snow depth changing where the trees have stopped the wind from sweeping across the rocks and clearing the route. To the right (east) is the frozen surface of Lower Kananaskis Lake and the Opal Range beyond, if you look closely you can just make out highway 40 running at the base of that range which is actually 5km from here.

Continuing on into the trees on the next level, the snow is well over knee deep and combines with the slope to make some real thigh busting work requiring plenty of 'photo stops'

Still ascending I can now see through the valley to the east which allows highway 40 to turn toward Elpoca Mountain and Elbow Lake before turning again to become the highest paved road in Canada at Highwood Pass. The isolated behemoth towering above the Elk Range on the right of shot is Mt Rea which reaches 10500 feet and casts a long shadow over Elbow Lake year round.

I couldn't resist a zoomed shot of Mt Rea as it catches a passing cloud, the valley turning left is the Elbow Valley which leads to Tombstone Lake and ultimately to Highway 66 some 30km east through wonderful mountains all the way.

After slogging through the deep snow for a while longer I decided to call it day, I wasn't going to make a summit today so forcing myself on this thigh buster any further would just be masochistic.

Following my own footprints back down the ridge made for some good going and I was soon looking out for a seat for my first (and only) break of the day.

I actually had to drop even further down the ridge to find a snow free spot to park my butt on and take in the view, the sun was already dipping behind Mt Sarrail and casting shadows across the upper lake

Taking in almost the entire view from my rocky seat shows just why I love this area so much, it is such a wonderful vista it defies adequate description. There are so many hikes just around the upper lake that you really could spend a week here and not see it all, when we leave Canada I will miss this place like no other.

Sitting still for the first time today really reminded me of just how cold it was, checking the temperature showed it had actually cooled to -17 up here and with the sun dipping it would soon get much cooler so I set out for the forest below and the trudge back to the truck.

I could really feel the cold in the shaded forest as the sun got lower, and back at the truck which had now been in the shade for quite a while, it was down to -19, I didn't hang around much longer except to shoot one more image of that wonderful mountain.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Wading through snow to Indefatigable Ridge

Postby n2ddcdavid » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Great trip report Chris.
The photos are outstanding. :clap:
The mountains brought back some honeymoon memories.
What did you use to take the photos?

David
n2ddcdavid
Scrambler

Postby ChrisW » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:12 pm

n2ddcdavid wrote:Great trip report Chris.
The photos are outstanding. :clap: The mountains brought back some honeymoon memories.
What did you use to take the photos? David

Thanks David, I used a Sony A7rII with a Sony FE 24-240 F3.5-6.3 OSS - it's a good set up for hiking as it gives plenty of scope to get wide shots and good zoom when needed while still producing really high quality images and all whilst weighing almost nothing. It is bloody awful for any fast moving wildlife which annoys me at times but the weight of my equivalent canon gear stops me taking it along most of the time :roll: As with most things in life it's a compromise :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby scoob999 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Just beautiful :clap: :clap:

We love looking at your pics, not as good as being there but the next best thing :D We just booked our flights for next year :D but it's the 8th-22nd September. all the holidays were already booked for August with my company! :(

Looking forward to hopefully seeing you and Sarah again if you're around and taking advantage of your guiding skills :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby dav2930 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:16 pm

I can see why you love that area so much, it's stunning. Well worth the hard graft of wading through the snow for views like that! :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 am

scoob999 wrote:Just beautiful :clap: :clap:

We love looking at your pics, not as good as being there but the next best thing :D We just booked our flights for next year :D but it's the 8th-22nd September. all the holidays were already booked for August with my company! :(

Looking forward to hopefully seeing you and Sarah again if you're around and taking advantage of your guiding skills :D

Hey Scoob, fantastic news mate, it will be great to see you guys and spend some time in the hills/boozer with you :lol: September could be an absolute godsend mate, usually a little cooler than August, with fewer tourists and definitely some signs of Autumn....catch it right and I would be thinking of Burstall Pass for fantastic long day.....here's a little glimpse looking back down the trail (18th Sept 2012) :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:56 am

dav2930 wrote:I can see why you love that area so much, it's stunning. Well worth the hard graft of wading through the snow for views like that! :clap:

Cheers Dav, it really is a place I will miss when we finally move on from here, but at least I'm seeing plenty of it while I'm here :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby trailmasher » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Another great report and pics Chris :clap: :clap: in fact the photos are stunning as is the weather by the looks of it :D I could do with an exchange of weather as all we have had is torrential rain now for weeks on end :( By the way, that last shot is a real beauty :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:14 am

trailmasher wrote:Another great report and pics Chris :clap: :clap: in fact the photos are stunning as is the weather by the looks of it :D I could do with an exchange of weather as all we have had is torrential rain now for weeks on end :( By the way, that last shot is a real beauty :clap:

Cheers TM, the weather here in winter is spectacular,, 6 months with no rain guaranteed (any precipitation is snow during oct - march) though this year there's not been much of anything yet...hoping to get out tomorrow and have another little poke around :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Anne C » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Great report Chris and fantastic photo of Mt Rea.Oh that sunshine and blue sky! Feels like an eternity since we last had a day like that. Interesting to read your comments about the need for bear awareness in winter too.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Anne C wrote:Great report Chris and fantastic photo of Mt Rea.Oh that sunshine and blue sky! Feels like an eternity since we last had a day like that. Interesting to read your comments about the need for bear awareness in winter too.

Thanks Ann, oneof the best things about winter here is that almost endless blue 8) It's always good to keep the bears in mind, if you drop a foot into a den you would be very sorry :shock: It's unlikely but I prefer to make it even more unlikely by knowing where they lurk :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Riverman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Jaw dropping vistas Chris. The high peaks look really awesome. How high are they?
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 pm

Riverman wrote:Jaw dropping vistas Chris. The high peaks look really awesome. How high are they?

Cheers Riverman, they're not so big (by Canadian standards) mostly between 8-10,000 feet Mt Sarrail and Mt Rea are a little over 10,000.

I'm still making my way through the foothills, one day I'll get to the big stuff :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:48 am

Amazing stuff, as usual, Chris. I wonder that you manage to do anything other than hill walk...!!!!

You've seen from the other comments what a dire start to the white season that we've had here.

Got my winter gear out the other evening and after playing around with it for a while, heaped it on the floor and did a little shamanic chant over it. So if the weather bucks up, I'll be claiming credit.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:59 am

Cheers Alteknacker
Alteknacker wrote:Got my winter gear out the other evening and after playing around with it for a while, heaped it on the floor and did a little shamanic chant over it. So if the weather bucks up, I'll be claiming credit.

This is hilarious mate :lol: :lol: :lol: ..... I hope it works before another storm "insert crappy name here" hits :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland